Page 283 of 1616 FirstFirst ... 1832332732812822832842852933333837831283 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 16153

Thread: Giving up the dye/bleach and growing out natural? Share your progress.

Length
    26/32/37ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: How persistent were you growing out dye?

I've never dyed my hair. That sould be an option as well...

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanieJean View Post
    Why? This isn't about how many have dyed vs how many have not. The OP is interested in knowing of those who have dyed their hair, how they coped with it and for how long. I don't see how having an option for "I've never dyed my hair" would be helpful to her.

Length
    BSL/SL/Clssc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I tried growing out my hair, but now I kind of like the dyed color, so I recolored. xD

Length
    22/32/blah
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I've been growing out my box dye for almost a year, but I've only been growing out the henna for 4 months. That's why I picked "a few months".
    I don't see myself dyeing again. The henna was also just to match my colors better, but unfortunately it didn't work very well. I'm still trying to get it out.

When I decided to stop dying my hair I got my hair dyed to match my natural colour (it matches pretty closely). My new growth has a ton of grey but I think it blends okay. I've been growing it out about about 8 months. I'm never dying my hair again so I just have to put up with the years of growing out my natural colour.

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I dyed my hair auburn (using conventional dye at a salon) for years, going only about 1-2 levels lighter than my natural dark brown. Around 2 years ago I decided I wanted to stop dying, but I hate having a clearly demarcated root line. My way of dealing with this was to switch to red-gold highlights done once every 3 months or so, and I did that for about a year. I've been growing my hair dye-free for over a year now, and I'm really happy with how the highlights are growing out. The red has faded at this point, and I just have some lighter golden brown bits towards the ends of my hair, mostly in the canopy. It looks like it might have been intentional, or possibly even natural, and that keeps me from having urges to re-dye or do a major chop.

I do kind of miss the red in my hair, but I'm tired of the upkeep, and I can't grow conventionally-dyed hair long without massive frizz, even when there's very little bleach involved. (And henna makes my hair feel funny.) Also, I'm getting more silvers in my hair now, and I really like them. There were just a bunch of factors that made me feel like it was time to let my hair go natural and do its thing. BUT I've had many years of experimenting with haircuts and various shades of red, so I don't wonder what I'm missing. I've enjoyed my dyed hair in the past, but I'm also enjoying my mostly virgin hair now. :-)

Length
    26/32/37ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RitaPG View Post
    Why? This isn't about how many have dyed vs how many have not. The OP is interested in knowing of those who have dyed their hair, how they coped with it and for how long. I don't see how having an option for "I've never dyed my hair" would be helpful to her.
    The poll is featured on the home page. I figured everyone should have an option to choose from. Just a suggestion. No need to get testy.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I think it was about 2 years of growing out. Most hair dyes fade to an orangey-brown eventually on me, so there was a fairly obvious line of demarcation between dyed and undyed hair. Once everything was at least shoulder length I had all the dyed bits chopped off. That was more than enough two-toned-ness for me

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Wow! I can see LHCers are quite persistent when it comes to growing out all kinds of dye (chemical and natural).
    I understand what some said about having experimented and enjoyed it in the past. I had short hair, I dyed it different colors, and it is good to have tried it because I just know how I like it...not as much as my natural color, and I guess red henna (=dark burgundy on me) was my second favorite.
    I also wanted to enjoy my natural color a bit longer before I start getting grays. I can always dye, but I can't always see my natural color.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaPG View Post
    The poll is featured on the home page. I figured everyone should have an option to choose from. Just a suggestion. No need to get testy.
    I think Rita just wanted to explain the thought behind the poll. And she is right, it is only addressed to people that dyed their hair (just like a thread can be addressed to only fine hair), and then wanted to grow out the dye for whatever reason. If you never dyed, you can't grow out dye

Length
    10.5/23.3/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Well I chose 4+ years and succeeded. In reality, I've been trying to grow it out on and off for about 8 years. I kept failing, retrying, having an important occassion and couldn't stand the regrowth so I'd fall into temptation again. Eventually I grew it out for 8 months, then cut my hair off and finally I conquered the addiction and now I have hair that is almost BSL length (which is what I started LHC with 1.5 years ago) that all but the ends is my own natural colour

It depends whether I count from how long I've been trying to grow out the dye or when I last dyed it and succeeded
    Lady Finnula of the Celtic Cross in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Shaved-BSL-Sldr- BSL-Blunt Bob-BSL(23.5) - Goal 1: MidBack - Goal 2: Waist- Goal 3: Classic - Goal 4:Who Knows?!