View Poll Results: How long did you grow out dye for?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • a few months and I quit

14 10.29%
  • a few months and g(r)o(w)ing strong

13 9.56%
  • a half year and I quit

4 2.94%
  • a half year and still at it

23 16.91%
  • 1-2 years and I quit

9 6.62%
  • 1-2 years, succeeded or still growing out

41 30.15%
  • 2-4 years and I quit

1 0.74%
  • 2-4 years, succeeded or still growing out

27 19.85%
  • 4+ years and I quit

0 0%
  • 4+ years and I am the boss!!

9 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How persistent were you growing out dye?

Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: How persistent were you growing out dye?

Growing semi-permanent dyes since December 2010, still going strong. The black has faded for the most part and the only way I can tell where my virgin hair is at is from my growing bangs (chin length). But I can tell a difference in the quality of my hair and I am actually enjoying my natural colour so I am definitely still strong

Length
    SL/WL+/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Oops I voted incorrectly. I successfully grew out red/golden hair dye from April 2009 to September 2011. I have all virgin color now

I found it much easier once my virgin color was to my ears and I could just put it all back in a bun and forget about it.

June 2014
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Umm, well I failed...
    I had my length dyed to match my roots and left it alone for 8 months. I just don't like my natural color. The dye matched perfectly. It really did. At first it was a bit dark, but it faded to match really well. I didn't have growing out issues, just that the color wasn't blonde enough for me. It wasn't a one time thought either, I seriously considered dying it back to blonde 6 or 7 times since then.

I used henna in October (wanting to go blonde ), then buxus/indigo to hide the henna. My hair got very dark, I color oopsed it out.

I'll be getting blonde highlights in about 2 weeks. I plan to go back to blonde gradually.
    It's what I like.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I started growing out bleach when I joined LHC and stuck with it, not regretting doing so for my hair is so much healthier and thicker now.
    To anyone doing so - stick with the root re-growth (I wore hats and scarfs a lot )for once it hits your ears it's easy to hide in a bun.

Length
    26/32/37ish
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've never dyed my hair. That sould be an option as well...

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanieJean View Post
    I've never dyed my hair. That sould be an option as well...
    Why? This isn't about how many have dyed vs how many have not. The OP is interested in knowing of those who have dyed their hair, how they coped with it and for how long. I don't see how having an option for "I've never dyed my hair" would be helpful to her.

Length
    BSL/SL/Clssc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I tried growing out my hair, but now I kind of like the dyed color, so I recolored. xD

Length
    22/24.5/term
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I've been growing out my box dye for almost a year, but I've only been growing out the henna for 4 months. That's why I picked "a few months".
    I don't see myself dyeing again. The henna was also just to match my colors better, but unfortunately it didn't work very well. I'm still trying to get it out.
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/dancingcircuskitty
    Mae'r gath yn cysgu ar y ddr.

When I decided to stop dying my hair I got my hair dyed to match my natural colour (it matches pretty closely). My new growth has a ton of grey but I think it blends okay. I've been growing it out about about 8 months. I'm never dying my hair again so I just have to put up with the years of growing out my natural colour.

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/waist/tbl
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I dyed my hair auburn (using conventional dye at a salon) for years, going only about 1-2 levels lighter than my natural dark brown. Around 2 years ago I decided I wanted to stop dying, but I hate having a clearly demarcated root line. My way of dealing with this was to switch to red-gold highlights done once every 3 months or so, and I did that for about a year. I've been growing my hair dye-free for over a year now, and I'm really happy with how the highlights are growing out. The red has faded at this point, and I just have some lighter golden brown bits towards the ends of my hair, mostly in the canopy. It looks like it might have been intentional, or possibly even natural, and that keeps me from having urges to re-dye or do a major chop.

I do kind of miss the red in my hair, but I'm tired of the upkeep, and I can't grow conventionally-dyed hair long without massive frizz, even when there's very little bleach involved. (And henna makes my hair feel funny.) Also, I'm getting more silvers in my hair now, and I really like them. There were just a bunch of factors that made me feel like it was time to let my hair go natural and do its thing. BUT I've had many years of experimenting with haircuts and various shades of red, so I don't wonder what I'm missing. I've enjoyed my dyed hair in the past, but I'm also enjoying my mostly virgin hair now. :-)