Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thin hair that never dries when up overnight

Length
    15/18/30+
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Thin hair that never dries when up overnight

Hello all! I’ve been a member for awhile and have learned a great deal. So thank you for all the great tips and ideas about proper hair care! I was just wondering though if anyone else has hair that just doesn’t seem to fit in any particular category and has a cranky tempermant of it’s own? For instance my hair is baby fine and extremly thin, yet when I wash it at night and either braid or bun it damp, it will still be wet in the morning when I take it down to get ready for the day. You would think for how thin it is that it wouldn’t take long to dry at all. I never use heat styling or blow dryers and I do not dye it anymore because of a bad allergic reaction years ago, yet I have frizz all over from all the breakage. Sulfate-free doesn’t clean my scalp and leaves me itchy, cones makes my skin feel slimey and my hair coated and weighed down. I’ve tried different oil techniques with different oils and I seem to fail at that too. I guess I just want to feel like I belong somewhere so I can start to take care of my hair the best I can. I love long hair but right now I feel lost.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Thin hair that never dries when up overnight

Nope--not strange at all!

I've gone to work with damp hair bunned and it's STILL damp nine hours later, when I take it down. If possible, try to wash your hair hours before you get ready for bed--that should give it enough time to dry before you bun or braid it for sleepy-bye time.

I found oils a "trial and error" thing--heck, sometimes I STILL put too much coconut oil on my hair after I wash it (and I've been using coconut oil for over three years ).

As for shampoos and conditioners, I would suggest getting the trial or travel sizes (less than three ounces) and see what luck you have with those. I would also suggest swapping out one shampoo or conditioner at a time so you can better evaluate the product's performance with your hair. I would try a clarifying shampoo, like Suave's Daily Clarifying Shampoo, first to give you a "clean slate" before you start trying different shampoo/conditioner combinations. It can be drying, so if you have found a conditioner that (relatively speaking) works for you, use that after you use this shampoo.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jo Ann; October 16th, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I can very much relate! I'll go into more details when I have more time, but in the meantime I can tell you have very fine textured hair that dries very fast when loose but stays wet forever when contained in a bun or braid. I also have issues with oils & sulphate free formulations. My hair seems to defy a lot of the supposed 'norms' around here, but I've found a routine that works well for me.

I'll come back when I can to fill in - just wanted to let you know you're not alone
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Yup, mine's the same if I bun it damp--it can actually take days to dry. Well, only the pigmented hairs, as my whites are dry as soon as a towel hits them. And bunning damp is a no-go for my scalp thanks to it creating an itch-fest due to more humidity and less breathability in a hot climate. My hair is also all virgin with low porosity, and so fine I have too many hairs to count in a mm on a ruler (I got to 32 before going cross-eyed ). My fave conditioner is TRESemme Botanique Restore and Shine (no cones, not too heavy, but has enough slip and moisture to do the job), and I don't often shampoo my hair.
    Last edited by Crystawni; October 16th, 2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Mine is pretty average all round but I used to very loosely contain my still-damp hair overnight in a satin scrunchie in the loosest of ponytails several inches away from my scalp - and it still doesn't fully dry. When I was much younger I used to bun my hair damp after washing, redo the bun each day until the next wash and my hair literally was never dry I'm fortunate I still have hair, after doing that for far too long! Anyway, my point is, you're not alone in your hair not drying if it's been put up while still damp!

Frizz might be new growth rather than damage - it's perfectly normal and natural to have hairs of all different lengths on your head as they're all in different stages of their growth cycle This is a typical example of what happens when my hair air-dries, before I've slept on it https://farm1.staticflickr.com/925/2...73f910ae_b.jpg

As for the rest, it sounds like patience is key, to experiment with one product or method at a time to find what your hair does like. You'll get there!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My bun doesn't dry overnight either. I always thought it was because it compacted down so tight?

Everyone's hair is different, so you'll need to try things!
    My hair is pretty easy, but I found that it doesn't like coconut oil or olive oil. For me, using a light oil on damp hair followed by a coney leave-in, has done wonders!

I think your frizz might be new growth? My ends flick out and it looks crazy when it air dries!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rytiff View Post
    For instance my hair is baby fine and extremly thin, yet when I wash it at night and either braid or bun it damp, it will still be wet in the morning when I take it down to get ready for the day. You would think for how thin it is that it wouldn’t take long to dry at all. I never use heat styling or blow dryers and I do not dye it anymore because of a bad allergic reaction years ago, yet I have frizz all over from all the breakage. Sulfate-free doesn’t clean my scalp and leaves me itchy, cones makes my skin feel slimey and my hair coated and weighed down. I’ve tried different oil techniques with different oils and I seem to fail at that too. I guess I just want to feel like I belong somewhere so I can start to take care of my hair the best I can. I love long hair but right now I feel lost.
    Overnight, on a pillow... it's not gonna dry that well. Can you at all wash it around noon, or at the latest 2/3PM? My mom has i hair as well, and she washes it around that time, roller sets it and by around 10PM it *for sure* is dry.

I think pushing the time where you wash it down to not that late in the evening will help you tremendously. My mom's hair takes a few hours to dry when left down, in rollers it takes a tad longer, especially when product is added (and she adds a curl cream + a gel).

Good luck!
    & Welcome here!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I thought hair not drying when contained was a simple fact of life. Just like your laundry would stay damp if you leave it in a washing machine. If you want it to dry, then leave it loose, give it some air.

When I wash my hair at night I always give myself at least 2 spare hours to let it dry as much as possible, then I braid it very loosely, and it's still slightly damp by morning. If there's an emergency and I had to go to bed with soaking wet hair, then I won't do anything tighter than a loose ponytail, just to keep my hair out of my face when I'm sleeping. When my hair was shorter than waist I just slept with it down, no big deal, and it was 100% dry by morning.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    14"/23"/33"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

It sounds like you have low porosity hair, like mine. It takes a lot of saturation for the water to really get in there in the shower, and it takes a long time to dry. My hair would never dry if bunned or braided. It has to be down and loose to dry. (I'm recalling this from when my hair was a lot longer than it is now. At shoulder length, I don't really have the option of braiding or bunning when wet.)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Do you dry it off with a towel after you "wring" aka squeegee it out after the wash?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)