Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Find Out the Truth! - Does Trimming Make Your Hair Grow Faster - THE EXPERIMENT

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Re: Let's Find Out the Truth! - Does Trimming Make Your Hair Grow Faster - THE EXPERI

Quote Originally Posted by gogirlanime View Post

What day are you starting? (example the 15th of every month)
    May 1st (because June 1st is a good moon trimming day for length)
    Now, personally I don't believe in the whole trimming by the moon thing, BUT if you want to trim on that day because you believe it helps growth then you've added another variable. IF we say that trimming on June 1st may or may not increase growth, then if you do see increased growth we don't know whether it's simply the act of trimming or the day on which you trimmed that caused it.

I think the idea of measuring to a demarcation line or similar is a good one; however I also think it's important to measure the entire length of the hair. This allows for both monitoring breakage and assessing whether or not participants have an increase in length gained after a trim. Say there are 20 participants, each growing from the root at 1/2" a month. All this information gives us is evidence that these individuals do not experience a growth spurt after trimming. That's not to say, however, that no one does.

If, on the other hand, we find that 10 of these participants do experience a greater increase in length after trimming due to less breakage, then while we cannot wholly rule out the idea that trimming can cause growth spurts (that's something that can only be proven true, not false), we can assume that apparent growth spurts from trimming are in fact due to less damage, because we have evidence that individuals who appear to have growth spurts do in fact have less damage.

ETA: One more thing to bear in mind is that summer growth spurts aren't uncommon; participants who haven't regularly measured their hair over the summer in the past could therefore experience a growth spurt that could influence results.
    Last edited by florenonite; April 28th, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Default Re: Let's Find Out the Truth! - Does Trimming Make Your Hair Grow Faster - THE EXPERI

If you believe in it it'll happen.
    If not, it won't.

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    Now, personally I don't believe in the whole trimming by the moon thing, BUT if you want to trim on that day because you believe it helps growth then you've added another variable. IF we say that trimming on June 1st may or may not increase growth, then if you do see increased growth we don't know whether it's simply the act of trimming or the day on which you trimmed that caused it.

I think the idea of measuring to a demarcation line or similar is a good one; however I also think it's important to measure the entire length of the hair. This allows for both monitoring breakage and assessing whether or not participants have an increase in length gained after a trim. Say there are 20 participants, each growing from the root at 1/2" a month. All this information gives us is evidence that these individuals do not experience a growth spurt after trimming. That's not to say, however, that no one does.

If, on the other hand, we find that 10 of these participants do experience a greater increase in length after trimming due to less breakage, then while we cannot wholly rule out the idea that trimming can cause growth spurts (that's something that can only be proven true, not false), we can assume that apparent growth spurts from trimming are in fact due to less damage, because we have evidence that individuals who appear to have growth spurts do in fact have less damage.

ETA: One more thing to bear in mind is that summer growth spurts aren't uncommon; participants who haven't regularly measured their hair over the summer in the past could therefore experience a growth spurt that could influence results.
    True, I will pick today 28th of April to begin then and trim my hair on May 28th

This is why you must wear a braid, bead, something so that it will move and show you the growth from your roots, we are measuring from both total length and root growth length to confirm

Again, this is not a PERFECT experiment but
    it will give us a higher idea and higher truth as to whether or not trimming does increase growth. It won't prove it 100% but it will at least 95% explain whether it does or doesn't. After this experiment is done it will give us a much stronger belief/truth but not the absolute truth. I figure scientists aren't going to do this anytime soon, so only we can do it for ourselves for the time being.

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by auburntressed View Post
    All right, then. Because I am curious, and because I would like to do my part to help out with this - I shall join. And I may as well, because this schedule of no trim/trim/no trim fits my plan of a small trim every two months.

A summary of your hair routine / things you do for your hair:
    - Two spoonfuls of DE every day before bed.
    - Scalp oil and massage two to three times a week before bed/wash.
    - Vitamins daily
    - Fruit and veggie heavy diet
    - Washing every other day
    - ACV rinse after each wash
    - satin pillows and sleep braid
    - hair is pinned up 90% of the time, and typically in a braid the other 10% that it's not exactly pinned to my head
    - BBB each day upon waking
    - use a tangle teezer or a horn comb to detangle, and only detangle when dry or mostly dry (if I have to leave for work in a hurry)
    - S&D whenever the moon is waxing, stay away from scissors when the moon wanes (regardless of sign)

What is your current hair length?
    35" I think. I measured tonight, but I'm not 100% sure the result is accurate.

What day are you starting? (example the 15th of every month)
    May 19
    So... May 19/measure
    June 19/measure&trim
    July19/measure

What do you currently believe that it does or doesn't make your hair grow faster?
    I do not think it does, no.

What type of trim are you going to be doing, a micro or regular, about what length of a trim?
    Micro, hopefully - I plan to cut between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. And I am hoping I'll have gotten a creaclip by then!

When was the last time you trimmed?
    My last trim was April 21 - new moon in Taurus.
    Thank you so much for participating!! To answer your question your timeline would go as follows

May 19th measure (May to June is one month of measure)
    June 19 measure before trim and after trim (June to July is two months of measures)
    July 19th measure (July to August is three months of measures)
    August 19th measure

Here's my starting point, the first loops of my braid to my root is 3/4" inch away lets see how it measures May 28th!

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Only 3 people does no one else want to try this with us?

Length
    22/32/blah
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I'd love to try this, but there are a few problems. The main one is that I have no hair routine at the moment (yes, bad, I know). I also can't guarantee that my diet will stay the same. And I'm not trimming until the end of the year. I trim with the moon when I do, anyway, so that would be a factor C like someone said above.
    I do hope more people join though! I'm sorry I can't, but just know I would if I were in a position to. I will be following everyone's results interestedly.

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by terylenerose View Post
    I'd love to try this, but there are a few problems. The main one is that I have no hair routine at the moment (yes, bad, I know). I also can't guarantee that my diet will stay the same. And I'm not trimming until the end of the year. I trim with the moon when I do, anyway, so that would be a factor C like someone said above.
    I do hope more people join though! I'm sorry I can't, but just know I would if I were in a position to. I will be following everyone's results interestedly.
    You can try later, there is no limit we can get data 2, 3 years from now, the more people that do this, the more proof, do it with us when you can, when you get all your routines out of the way. I'm excited to see the results as well

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

The experiment would be more accurate if you did a full year instead of 3 months.
    Seasonal growth spurts and seasonal shedding would affect the results if it's just a few months.

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I joined your challenge & measured on May 1st.
    So you have more than 3 - you have at least 4,LOL
    There may be even more silent ones that joined your challenge but just have not posted it.

Length
    SL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    The experiment would be more accurate if you did a full year instead of 3 months.
    Seasonal growth spurts and seasonal shedding would affect the results if it's just a few months.
    I've been thinking this myself, and will very likely do that. I realized that starting in June and ending in October/November may not be the wisest thing.