Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Flight Attendant Concerns

Default Aspiring Flight Attendant Concerns

I was reading an article today about working as a flight attendant, which has been my plan for post-college for awhile now. The article said that potential candidates should be willing to cut their hair. Is it sad that of all the things I've heard about being a hostie, good and bad, this is the thing that scares me the most?

And I'm just wondering, if your employer required that you cut your hair, would you?

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: Aspiring Flight Attendant Concerns

It would depend on how much I really wanted that job. I am not sure why flight attendants need to be willing to cut their hair. Perhaps you can talk to people who work for various airlines and see how across the field that requirement is. I guess hair sticks and what not might be dangerous, but if the military girls can get their hair up and out of the way safely, I can't imagine flight attendants having a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaGarden View Post
    I was reading an article today about working as a flight attendant, which has been my plan for post-college for awhile now. The article said that potential candidates should be willing to cut their hair. Is it sad that of all the things I've heard about being a hostie, good and bad, this is the thing that scares me the most?

And I'm just wondering, if your employer required that you cut your hair, would you?
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    1/26.5/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

No I would'nt, unless the job was my dream!
    Lady Itimad al Zarqa, The Naiad of Fresh Mountain Streams, in The Order of Long Haired Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenreed View Post
    Perhaps you can talk to people who work for various airlines and see how across the field that requirement is. I guess hair sticks and what not might be dangerous, but if the military girls can get their hair up and out of the way safely, I can't imagine flight attendants having a problem.
    I looked around a little bit after reading that and didn't see anything about people needing to actually cut their hair. (Aside from this one weird airline in India.) But I did see that you can't have too many hair pins in your hair. I got no explanation as to why or exactly how many is excessive.
    Mostly what I found is that the girls generally wear low pony tails. For some reason high pony tails aren't allowed. But then again, these girls probably don't have (or are aiming for) hair that goes past waist length...

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

No.

It's not about hair, I don't mind dress codes and uniforms but I wouldn't fundamentally change my physical appearance for an employer because I would consider that an invasion of my personal life. I also wouldn't sign a contract that dictated how I should behave out of work hours/ out of uniform.

Length
    24.4/29,5/31
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think that means that if your ends are un clean and scruffy and look terrible they can tell you you have to cut it..

Quote Originally Posted by wendylai View Post
    I think that means that if your ends are un clean and scruffy and look terrible they can tell you you have to cut it..
    I'm sure that's what it means too. But I was curious as to what other LHCers would do if they were in this situation.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

A GF of mine is a flight attendant with Continental Air. No haircut needed

As for whether or not I'd do it.....for a dream job maybe To me, it's just hair, I know a lot of LHCers don't necessarily feel that way. I wouldn't get a buzzcut or anything, but if I had the opportunity of a lifetime and found the perfect job for me and they wanted me to cut my hair....yup. Sure. Why not?

For a stint at McDonald's? Thank you no.

I probably would be willing to cut my hair for a job, although I'd be pretty sad about it.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I would maybe trim my ends so they look fuller and more cared for if I thought that it would be appropriate to have a more polished appearance. But not because an employer tells me to. Like Anlbe, I feel that would be too much of an invasion of my private life.

Luckily, in my job as a musician I am sort of expected to have long hair, wear long dresses and be a bit weird in general. At least it fulfills the expectations of clients who book us and the audience .