Thread: Help with hair dye confusion :S

Length
    18"/23"/36"
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Help with hair dye confusion :S

Hiya Everyone, I really need some advice as I am beginning to realize at last that I cant really trust what my hairdresser tells me
    I have quite fine hair, that I am trying to grow. I used to bleach and straighten it, but I am now heat free for 6 months!, which has done wonders!
    I told my hairdresser, who is also my friend, that I didnt want to bleach my hair anymore, she admitted that if she had my fine hair she wouldnt bleach it either!........except she was happy to before! She recommended that I use something called Hi-lift, its non bleach and wldnt be too damaging.
    I get my highlights done every 4 months, but I suspect that the more the hi-lift layers my hair, it could be just as damaging as bleach. I prefer my hair lighter as I am very pale, but if this 'hi-lift' is damaging similar to bleach, I can make an informed decision to go back to my naturl colour. I know you guys will give me honest advice.

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Help with hair dye confusion :S

It's a marketing ploy, unfortunately.

Hi-lift is just as damaging as bleach, and salons will *always* push highlights no matter the technique because they bring in so much money.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Anything that lightens your hair -removes color- has to do damage to do so. you can go darker without damage via deposit only dyes, but lighter? Is always going to cause damage.

Length
    chin/SL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

If you have uncolored( other than the bleach) naturally lighter hair you can do the hilights with hair color instead of bleach. Most stylists prefer using bleach because most clients have colored hair and that's what we were taught to use in school.

Length
    18"/23"/36"
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Thank you , I'll have to pluck up courage to stop dying my hair. I think I can do it, I've grown out my hair dye before. What eactly is Hi-lift? I just want to know, so I can understand what product I have been letting someone put on my hair. I was mislead to believe it wasnt damaging as it wasnt bleach, but what is it? Is there anyone who has managed to grow long hair while highlighting their hair?

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by carmac21 View Post
    Thank you , I'll have to pluck up courage to stop dying my hair. I think I can do it, I've grown out my hair dye before. What eactly is Hi-lift? I just want to know, so I can understand what product I have been letting someone put on my hair. I was mislead to believe it wasnt damaging as it wasnt bleach, but what is it? Is there anyone who has managed to grow long hair while highlighting their hair?
    Hi-Lift removes some color and deposits another - unlike bleach which just removes. At least so far as I can tell after a brief google search.

People certainly do grow long while highlighting and bleaching. It just takes a lot of work. Check this thread. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=21256
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Well of course she was happy before when you were getting bleached. More money for her! And of course she would try to push this product on you. More money for her!

Don't buy into it. Just let your hair be, and take good care of it. Keep doing what you are doing... you said it has improved greatly, correct? You shouldn't fix what isn't broken.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    SL/26/WL+
    Type
    1c/F/ii

why to risk? i think you should grow your natural color
    -lola-

Length
    14"/-/-
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Color is less damaging than actual bleach, and it would not be "layered" onto your hair - no matter the product, color or bleach, it's important to apply the product only to regrowth or you'll get cotton fuzz - but it would still be damaging.