Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else grow an undercoat in the fall?

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Does anyone else grow an undercoat in the fall?

In the fall, just when the weather starts to cool, I grow an entire layer of fine, dense hair, very similar to a dog's winter undercoat. I get it from my dad, whose hair will literally double in thickness (due to a sprouting of fine hair) at the first cold snap. He doesn't care because, as a guy, he just goes and gets his head buzzed. It used to not bother me, because I tended to get new layers cut in the fall and it made things more breathable.

Now, trying to gain length and not cut layers in, it's DRIVING ME CRAZY.

For one, I already have thick hair with a ponytail diameter between 3.5"-4" when my hair is wet...and then that curls and makes a giant cloud of hair. Now I have another crop of ~2" fine hairs that feel like a down blanket on my head. Worse yet, the fine hairs are curling into their own tiny sub'fro underneath the rest of my curls. I want to comb them into the longer lengths and promote more clumping, but that breaks up the long curls too much. So I've just settled for some very determined fingercombing from the scalp out.

I don't know what to do. I know I'll shed a lot of these fine hairs in the spring, but until then it's maddening.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has something like this, especially if you are a curly, and how you deal with it.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Does anyone else grow an undercoat in the fall?

I do get something like this, but it just keeps growing and doesn't really shed out....lol. And, btw, just came by to say, I always knew you had thicker hair then ii,
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    And, btw, just came by to say, I always knew you had thicker hair then ii,
    I've always been told it was thin! And the way it deflates when it's wet, it feels thin. That's why I can't stand my hair flat ironed. I wish I could show you some of my cousin's ponytails. They are literally thicker than your forearm...and their hair is straight. Ahhhh, the joys of perspective.

I only remeasured a few weeks ago after I posted the "My head is hot!" thread. I think I got used to my hair layered and just forgot what it was like full strength. I was shocked that the measurement came back 4". I tried tugging hard and got smaller measurements....but still. If I'm a two, than it's barely.

If your fall growth doesn't shed, does that mean your hair gets thicker every year? Or do you shed later in the year to even it all out? My hair doesn't shed much (5-10 hairs a day), so I'm not used to accounting for hair fall.

ETA: Waaaaaaaiiiit. ^^^ Even in the spring when it gets warmer my hair doesn't shed more. And when it does shed, it's mostly the fine hairs. Sigh. I think I just figured something out...
    Last edited by CurlyCap; September 10th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

I did notice baby hairs around my temple, but I don't remember ever really getting those. My hair was in pretty good shape before I found LHC, but now it's even better and I think it's reacting like "I can grow now!"

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I don't. But I would love to. XD

Length
    Chin/APL+/WL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Last summer I had a MASSIVE shed. Then all fall/winter I had no less than a million-bazillion super fine hairs grow in. I had that halo of floaty hairs all over my head and they were super wavy. I'm interested to see what happens this year since for a whole year I've been super nice to my hair.

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I do get massive sheds this time of year.
    Makes sense, I guess. A shorter, fluffy layer is going to do a lot more towards insulating. I know what you mean about the replacement hairs. Mine are mostly gray so I call it my graylo
    Microtrimming, cowashing, hoping for a miracle.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I wish that I grew more hair on my head in the fall/winter!! I actually seem to SHED very badly around this time ;(
    This is a new year though...the last 3 years around this time I was in Nevada in really cold winters and very nasty hard water. I am very curious to see what it will be like now that I am back in CA, with very nice moisture in the air..and no crazy harsh winter. My water here is amazing too and I am not nearly as stressed.
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I get this too!

Mine also just keeps growing. This is a pretty new thing too me as I used to bleach and kill my hair (), but since I've been bleach- and heat free this has happened both last year and now.

First it feels like stubble (if that makes sense, looked a bit more weird written than in my head lol), then it feels like goose-down

Length
    apl/bsl/tlbon
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

interesting... I've never noticed, but maybe I do?? Generally I am bad at noticing things like this until someone points it out

(like my acne problem in high school that I didn't realize I had til my doctor mentioned it...)