Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Girl sells hair for £3000, buys family a new house now has dream life

Length
    Ear/37/TB/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Girl sells hair for £3000, buys family a new house now has dream life

I can't stand her fringe!
    I just want to go up and yank it of, ick it's hideous

Lady Inimeitiel, Daughter of the English Rose 🥀

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Girl sells hair for £3000, buys family a new house now has dream life

I have just watched a Brazilian video about this girl on YouTube which shows the following:

~ She has a small but very nice bedroom
    ~ She has a computer
    ~ Her mother combs her hair with a wide tooth comb
    ~ Her hair is blow-dried and then braided
    ~ She does not seem to like the attention
    ~ Her friends are shown fiddling with her hair (grrr)

It looks like she lives in a lower middle class area, not a poor deprived area, but I have no idea about social standards in Brazil.

This video also shows another woman with very long hair. There is no hair-cutting in the video but both the girl and the woman are taken to a wig shop and it looks like their hair is being evaluated for quality.

If you want to watch the video, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Gdj...eature=related
    Last edited by Othala; April 28th, 2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Link to video
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I think she didn't learn English because she doesn't live in a predominately English-speaking country, and learning a foreign language in a poor area doesn't rank high in the list of priorities. For something like that (to learn an extra language to a proficiency level), it takes disposable income, which her family obviously didn't have. The hair didn't prevent her from learning English, it was the lack of funding.

It's like taking a kid from a crappy area in the states and calling them ignorant because they don't speak french.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    I have just watched a Brazilian video about this girl on YouTube which shows the following:

~ She has a small but very nice bedroom
    ~ She has a computer
    ~ Her mother combs her hair with a wide tooth comb
    ~ Her hair is blow-dried and then braided
    ~ She does not seem to like the attention
    ~ Her friends are shown fiddling with her hair (grrr)

It looks like she lives in a lower middle class area, not a poor deprived area, but I have no idea about social standards in Brazil.

This video also shows another woman with very long hair. There is no hair-cutting in the video but both the girl and the woman are taken to a wig shop and it looks like their hair is being evaluated for quality.

If you want to watch the video the title to search for on YouTube is:

Jovem deixa cabelo crescer para se parecer com princesa de conto de fadas
    Very hard for me to understand "brazileiro" with my self-taught Portuguese but I think she says she wanted to grow it that long. Her mother told her she'd chop it while she is asleep and she responded, if you chop my hair while I sleep I'll leave you, mom. LOL

PS: not only a computer she has but a FLAT screen too.

Another thing I noticed that contrary to online comments, no it's not necessary to dress like that at the age of twelve in Rio either. The other long-haired woman, interestingly, can dress up normal. I just can't imagine my kid wearing clothes like that at that age.

The other woman will not chop for the $$$$ offered (2500 BRL -- 1300 USD). She keeps it

Natasha doesn't get the chop there either. (She can't decide, she loves her hair) So somewhere else later she gets that chop. When that woman in the wig shop evaluates her hair for quality she says she has never seen such (quality) hair in her life.

ETA: They cut it here around 6:10
    Last edited by PolarCathy; April 28th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I wonder how much of the "hardship story" was just a way to mollify her family and friends?

I once worked with a teenager who had thigh-length hair that had not been cut since she was a baby. The ends were extremely fine, and it would tangle something terrible. She hated her hair; but her parents were very fundamentalist and would not allow her to cut it. She finally started lying to everyone who would listen about how terrible it was, and making excuses for not doing things based on what it would do to her hair. When she started claiming she had migraines they finally let her cut it off to about mid-back, but they weren't happy with her over it at all.
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    Very hard for me to understand "brazileiro" with my self-taught Portuguese but I think she says........
    Thanks PolarCathy for using your language skills to explain what was going on in that video.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    Thanks PolarCathy for using your language skills to explain what was going on in that video.
    Welcome. Somebody with better Portuguese may be able to shed light on the details It's like a completely different language for me.

It's indeed very different from the Portuguese spoken in Portugal but I guess more understandable for a Portuguese...LOL I just couldn't resist.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    shrug/33/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    Is it bad that I got kinda excited that they played a clip from Barbie as Rapunzel in that video?

Length
    0''/25''/40''
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ok is it me or isn't this article full of contradictories?

I speak portuguese, I am from Portugal and I understand everything it is said in the video.

Basically she says she saw a film about Rapunzel when she was even younger and she fell in love for the character's hair, so she grew her hair as well. She loves Rapunzel and is drawing her, her playing dolls also have to have long hair.

She also says she takes a half an hour to wash her hair. And four hours to untangle and dry. Her mother doesn't seem very pleased. xD Her mother says it gives a lot of work.

Her mother said she wanted to cut her hair during her sleep, but the girl replied to her that if she were to do that, she would no longer consider her as a mother.

The girl also says it gives her headaches, the weight of the hair, specially when it is braided. She says she can't swim or doesn't do it often because the salt and the sand of the beach gets trapped in her hair and tangles it, so she avoids swimming.

But in the end she really likes her hair and her friends in school, the ones who were touching her hair, are saying how cool her hair is, and comparing colors and stuff. And she intends to keep it that way.

So they took her for the first time to a hairdresser but not to cut hair, just to brush. The hairdresser is amazed, she said her hair is very beautiful and long.
    But meanwhile they asked her if she did not wanted to try a hair cut, she said no, no!

Then they found another lady that does not cut her hair, called Raquel, she simply likes to watch herself with long hair and says it's prettier. She has not specific reason.

But still they went to a hair store to evaluate the quality of their hairs, Raquel and Natasha.
    Raquel decided she wanted to keep it and not sell her beautiful hair for money. But Natasha is undecided because she wants to help her family with the money of the purchase. But at the same time she is sad, and very undecided, she loves her hair too much and she is afraid of the cut. So in the very end she decided no again, she isn't ready yet.

Poor girl she was almost crying.

And sorry for the lame english, sometimes it is hard to translate a language to another in a very literally way. Hope it helped you people.

Type
    1c/C/iii

arielágua thank you so much for the translation. You did a good job and your English is not lame at all.

I think the newspaper article misrepresented many things. It is great to get an insight into the reality behind the press sensationalism.