Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on controlling long hair for job interviews?

Default Re: Advice on controlling long hair for job interviews?

I would stay away from products. Some of them force your hair cuticle to stick together, which can cause a lot of damage when you brush or undo the hair.

I would try the spray bottle, since you're doing well with wet hair. You can also try aloe vera gel--the kind people use on skin.

Length
    27.5/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I would get a small spray botttle, you can pick one up at walmart in the shampoo/conditoner/travel size bottle isle. I would also get "fruit of the earth clear aloe," walmart also sells this.

If you get a short notice call:

Detangle your hair with the seamless plastic, or wood comb.

I would mist your hair, starting to first where you begin your briad.

Mist your hands, then place a dime size amount of aloe in your hands and rub together.

Braid your hair as usual, french or ponytail and english braid.

To make the french braid look more "done," you can bun the length at the base of your nape. You can also tuck the end of the braid up, under the rest of the braid.

You may want to try spin pins to secure the buns, or bobby pins, the same color as your hair. If you need them goody make smaller bobby pins, that are great for securing flyaways.
    Last edited by Amazinggrace; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo fixing

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    I’ll admit it: I was a tomboy all my life, only had older brothers and never played with my hair at all. I need basic help. LOL

For example if I got a call for an interview and they had a slot open in an hour. If I wanted to put up my dry hair for the interview now, it currently wouldn’t stay up or look smooth. To use your advice, how would I first moisten it with a mixture of water/conditioner? Spray it before I put it up?
    Uh, no.

What I did when I was learning is I'd take my morning shower, stuff some conditioner in my hair, and put it up when I got out. Every day. Seriously. Keep in mind I wasn't blow drying either, so sticking my hair up like that kept it from dripping all over while it dried.

I did this because blow drying my hair was taking about an hour or two, whereas it took about 5 minutes tops to stuff my hair into some kind of updo after a shower.

So you use gel to smooth down baby hair that are on the the top/sides of your head?

THank you!
    Orange
    Yep! And honestly, if I put my hair up wet, I don't have tons of problems with them. Often they stick up because they're too dry, so all the extra conditioner keeps 'em calmer. Gel is for when I need to be super duper incredibly sleek.

I developed these habits in late high school and into college because I was *lazy*. Putting in the effort to make myself look polished and professional in the conventional manner took hours. It wasted valuable reading time! Wearing long hair and doing an updo was almost instant by comparison, and it created the impression that I was with it and putting in a ton of effort. Plus, I was also a major tomboy, only with a lot more hair than you. My dad would NEVER let me do fun stuff if there was a chance my hair could get caught and I could get hurt... so I had to learn to do something with my hair so I could have fun.

These days, my routine is different coz I've learnt to put my hair up dry. I don't have to be as rigorous But I still have mad love for the fast and easy ways to look polished and professional.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amazinggrace View Post
    I would get a small spray botttle, you can pick on eup at walmart in the shampoo/conditoner/travel size bottle isle. I would also get fruit of the earth clear aloe, walmart also sells this.
    You read my mind! This afternoon I remembered I had some the Fruit of the Earth clear aloe and wondered if I could use it on my hair. I think I will try this tomorrow and see how it works.
    Thank you!

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Why not just get yourself a little spritzer bottle and fill it with water? Mist your hair until it's damp, put it up, and go. By the time you arrive at your destination it should be dry, and you don't need to use any products that way. I have extra-slippy hair too, and that usually works for me.

For a professional look, I like to wear my hair in a French twist, secured with spin pins. It looks so elegant and stays put all day.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    11,8/27,2/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

You could try saltwalter. It,s cheap and you can make it yourself at home. It gives the hair more texture. Just keep an eye on, that the salt isn't drying your hair.
    You just mix hot water and salt, and put it in a spray bottle. And it's ready for use.
    Shoulder.....APL.....BSL....Waist

Length
    16/20/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

spin pins are cheap and very helpful I recently learned and combining those with a ribbon/small clip makes it even more secure.

- What works for my very fine hair is: hands wet under the tap and slightly dampen my hair, than put a drop of cold cream or oil on my hands, rub my palms and apply it to the hair.
    - Finger comb it, make a small braid somewhere and put it all up with spin pins.
    Chin- Shoulder - Awkward stage - APL - BSL - Mid back - Waist - Beyond?

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

For controlling flyaways, I'd look around your house first before you buy more products. Conbitioner, esp diluted with some water, oils of various sorts (kitchen oils are fine), aloe vera gel, glycerin can all help smooth down hair. Start with a little, just a fingertip. You can always add more but if you add too much you have to wash it out.

I love olive oil for taming flyaways on both my hair and my daughters hair. I add a drop at a time, rubbed on my fingers and then smoothed onto my hair.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

A lazywrap bun with a ficcare is very classy as is a french braid down or folded under, and a plain neutral colour hair fork in a bun is nice too.Keep it simple,classy and neutral is my thought.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

LuxePiggy has how to sock bun straight and slippery hair. If it's not huge, that's going to be accepted.