Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does ACV do to your hair?

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Question What does ACV do to your hair?

Hello! I'm sorta kinda new to this whole chemical-free absolutely natural hair care - even though I've been SLS/cone-free for years now - and I'm experimenting with a few new things. One of them is an ACV rinse after washing my hair with shikakai powder.

The first time I used it (one tablespoon in 250ml of water), I put it on my scalp as well as on my hair and my roots ended up getting greasy earlier than usual. My hair did feel softer and shinier, but the early greasiness messed it up for me

Is it something I'm doing wrong or does it do that for you as well?

Thank you!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: What does ACV do to your hair?

Vinegar tends to make my hair crazy fly-away, although when I mistakenly purchased a shampoo that was soap based, a diluted vinegar rinse made my hair feel much better, like normal.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

In my case ACV did perfectly nothing, apart from irritating me with it's smell when I was preparing the mixture. No greasiness, though. I'd rather say my hair was dry-ish...

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

It makes it smell bad. That's pretty much it.

Lemon rinses dry my hair out. What works for me are beer, aloe juice and tea rinses.

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Made my hair much smoother, though I lost a bit of volume I think. Not good with my fine hair.
    After using Color B4 my hair was temporarily more porous, and scalp irritated.
    ACV helped close the hair cuticle & restore the natural lower ph level in both my scalp& hair.

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I did it again ... used ACV as a rinse after washing my hair with shikakai powder ... this time I used a tablespoon in 300ml and I just soaked my hair - not my scalp. It made my hair soft and shiny and so far it's feeling remarkably. It does straighten my hair a bit, but I don't mind that at all. Let's see how it goes with the greasiness this time.

Length
    APL?/TBL/100cm
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I have used ACV in my nettle and nettle + rooibos rinse for about 2 months. For that time I've had about 8 tea spoons of ACV in 2 liters of liquid. My hair has been soft and shiny after it.
    However, from what I've read here, it seems to be less than most people have used, so this time I put more in my rinse. I think I put 4 table spoons (aka 12 tea spoons) in 2 liters and my hair did seem to get greasier a lot faster. Usually it stays perfectly fine for about 3 days and after that it starts getting greasy. Now it is quite greasy already and it's only been one and a half days since the wash.
    I think I'll dilute it back to my usual amount.

Hip ---- BCL -- TBL -- 100 cm of hair!
    Growing my virgin roots since the end of 2011. Maintaining at TBL+ in 2015!

Length
    Waist/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have started using ACV rinses since I started colouring my hair with Directions, I read that it helps to seal the colour in. I use a very strong dilution compared to the rest of you! A good mug full in 2 litres of cold water. It has a vague vinegary smell as my hair dries, but once dry I can't smell it at all. It leaves my hair shiny & full of body. I don't really suffer from the greasies, I only wash my hair once every 2 - 3 weeks (basically, when I need to do my roots lol) and use a completely organic, sls free shampoo which I dilute, and I only use it on the scalp.
    Last edited by sarelis; April 24th, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Add Info

When I started experimenting with ACV my hair got *very* greasy unless I put 1tsp or less into 1 liter of water. It made my hair very shiny and silky but had less volume, so I don't use it anymore.

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I don't use ACV because I don't care for the smell. I use white vinegar.

I have only used vinegar after baking soda or soap treatments, to restore the pH of my hair. Worked great for that. I haven't used it by itself.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes