Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does ACV do to your hair?

Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: What does ACV do to your hair?

ACV rinses do nothing but good things for me, I CO wash and then rinse, my hair feels crazy shiny and soft, and my scalp, which is usually itchy and flakey, benefits a lot from it too. I use about a tablespoon (the one used to eat soup) to one liter of water. When I shampooed/conditioned, it used to smell a bit while it was wet, but it doesn't smell anymore since I started CO, I think it's because since I leave conditioner in my hair for longer the smell lingers and tops the vinegar scent.

Quote Originally Posted by henné View Post
    The first time I used it (one tablespoon in 250ml of water)
    Try using one liter of water for a tablespoon of vinegar, instead of just 250ml. I remember a couple people having the same issue with ACV rinses and greasiness, and they fixed it by using more water (or less vinegar).
    Hope this helps. And in the end if it doesn't work, you can use it to make a nice foot soak. Makes your feet soooo soft

Type
    1b/M/ii

Oh, I just read you only soaked the ends and didn't rinse the scalp (why didn't I think of this haha) that seems to be a good solution

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

It makes my hair soft, shiny and less tangly. I would do it all the time if it wouldn't have that horrible smell.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

It works great as a final rinse for me It makes my hair feel soft and strong and it halps remove any residue on my hair that didn't previously rinse out
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

I like vinegar for a variety of things. I use white or acv, diluted in the shower as a rinse for hair, face, and body. It just seems to really agree with my body, which is generally sensitive, so it removes any leftover soap or condish before it can irritate. The smell of vinegar is gone by the time you are dry, so using it all over my body and in my hair doesn't bother me. I also use white vinegar in the wash instead of fabric softener.

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Phalaenopsis View Post
    It makes my hair soft, shiny and less tangly. I would do it all the time if it wouldn't have that horrible smell.
    Try white vinegar, or citric acid, or lemon juice. I don't like ACV either because of the smell.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    Chin/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

It neutralizes the PH of your hair which is about 4.5-5.5. ACV has a PH of 4.25-5.0; when diluted with distilled water, which has a PH of 7, it can make hair more alkaline. Which is bad because hair is naturally acidic. I'm not so sure that the constant use of ACV is very good for hair.
    Slowly creeping towards knee-length hair...

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I just like the fact that I don't have to use any chemical mixture (aka conditioner) and still get the silky shiny hair ... Plus conditioner made my hair greasier even faster.

Diamond.eyes --- I honestly have no clue what you're saying. You say that ACV can make hair more alkaline - how can it make hair more alkaline if it is acidic? I mix it with my henna because of the acidity ...

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    Try white vinegar, or citric acid, or lemon juice. I don't like ACV either because of the smell.
    Lemon juice was a disaster and it dried out my hair. White vinegar still stinks And somehow my hair likes ACV better?? Not really sure

Haven't tried citric acid, no idea where I would find that.
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond.Eyes View Post
    It neutralizes the PH of your hair which is about 4.5-5.5. ACV has a PH of 4.25-5.0; when diluted with distilled water, which has a PH of 7, it can make hair more alkaline. Which is bad because hair is naturally acidic. I'm not so sure that the constant use of ACV is very good for hair.
    Water works in both ways, so when adding enough ACV, the whole solution will be acidic.

How else does ACV work so well after using a shampoo bar which is very alkaline?
    www.hairfairforum.be