Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help - damaged hair, really bad split ends :(

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Please help - damaged hair, really bad split ends :(

Your hair is very pretty. If it were mine, I would use coconut oil regularly in the ends and have regular, tiny trims. I use Suave Naturals shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo just the crown and condition from the ears down. No blow dryer or hot irons ever.

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

i would say oil oil oil,,,avocado oil for example..
    Twice a week a lot of it in hair,braid to sleep and wash next day as usual.
    Look for feyes self trim, and get off 0.5 inch now and then or more if u prefer.
    Good luck
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    SL/SL+/TBL??
    Type
    2c/M/iii

There has been lots of wonderful advice and I agree you could pull off an Emma Watson, but understand why you don't want to.

Your last two pictures are not showing because you have linked them directly from your computer. They need to be uploaded to a server before we can view them, using a site like photobucket or imgur.

Length
    21.5"/40.2"/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I have bleached ends that are extremely porous and split when they don't get enough moisture. I personally used henna, because it made the ends slicker and shinier. I feel like it sort of coast over the holes in the hair (but I don't know of any scientific info that supports this so take is with a grain of salt). Even with the henna though, I found that my damaged ends respond great to an hour long olive oil soak before I shampoo my hair. And even then I CWC right over the oil. You might now save the ends but with enough moisture and gentle handling you could keep them from getting worse. and most importantly keep them on your head until you are ready to trim them off.
    1b/F/M/iii APL~BSL~MBL~WL~Elbow~Hip~BCL~TBL 40" Finally!

Thank you for all your lovely and helpful replies, everyone I found the article about trimming split ends especially useful. I have to admit that I was jealous of the baby hair cuticle in the article about damaged hair! I've tried to fix the links. Hopefully this will work:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55606691_n.jpg - hair with extensions (I had to post this in order to feel better about myself after looking at the atrocious photos below) :P

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1335221123

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1335221123

Some of this hair is the extensions, which look nice from a distance but definitely not when they're uncombed, up close and in harsh light. But some of that (the thinner, more flyaway looking stuff towards the back, and bits of the front)) is my actual hair and as you can see in a light like that it looks really damaged.

It's reassuring to know that I can just trim my hair a bit at a time. I think I'll get an inch cut off and I will try Feye's trimming method more often. I have used coconut oil twice on my hair but neither attempt was very successful because I think I used way too much - it took two thorough shampoo/conditioner sessions to get it all out of my hair, and I rubbed a lot of it into the roots, which didn't really need it. I might use less oil and stick to the ends next time. One of my friends told me that coconut oil can make hair colour fade, which made me panic a little - is this true or completely unfounded?

I also shampoo and condition my hair twice a week with Organix keratin treatment shampoo and I have ordered a wooden detangler comb from The Body Shop. I think I'll steer clear of henna because there's something dauntingly permanent about it and I would like to go back to my mousy colour, so i don't want really obvious roots.
    Last edited by princess-royal; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Ugh, my hair looks awful today. Last night I wet it, rubbed some coconut oil (not a huge amount) into the ends, shampooed and conditioned, and let it dry naturally. Today it is limp, silky, and mushy. I regret trying to apply box dye a few days ago...

Length
    3/16/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Get your hands on Giovanni's Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. I bleached out my henna last year and it absolutely destroyed my hair. It was so bad, everyone thought I had straightened it. It was like straw. After months and months of trimming out damage, I stumbled on that stuff and I swear... had I discovered it sooner, I wouldn't have had to trim so much off! It saved my hair.

Everyone's hair is different, but I say it's worth a shot. If you're suffering from bleach damage, that stuff is fantastic! The minute I applied it, I already felt a difference. A few overnight treatment and I bet you'll see a huge improvement!

Loads of great advice, just wanted to say I think your hair is a lovely colour and doesn't look thin at all. Also, in the last pics, I think that fuzziness looks more like curly hair when it's worn straight, than damage (it's how my daughter's hair looks if she combs it out; her hair is about 2c/3a) - maybe your hair is less damaged than you think?
    Last edited by summergreen; April 25th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Your pictures of damage look kind of like the surface of my hair. I have thousands of shorter, curlier hairs.