Thread: Dry Hair and CO

Length
    MBL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Dry Hair and CO

Hello, I'm new to this community but I've been trying different things with my hair for quite some time. At the moment my hair is waist length, layered and wavy but overall pretty healthy. My routine consists of washing twice a week and I recently started washing with Toadstool shampoos and I also have the leave in conditioner. Before that I used a shampoo bar, which I loved but I decided to try something new. I also apply coconut oil to my ends after I wash my hair which helps in making it soft. I recently began using olive oil before washing.

Anyway I have a problem because my hair seems to be pretty dry, there are about three inches at the ends which have split ends and feel slightly crunchy. I feel that it's because I have not found a conditioner which actually works. I had a conditioner in bar form but I felt that rubbing that into my hair when it was wet was causing damage. The coconut oil and olive oil have helped but in between washings my hair seems to become dryer and dryer.

Any suggestions for a conditioner or another method to apply to my hair would be appreciated. As for now I will S&D as well as applying olive oil (how long should I leave it in before washing?) to see if it continues to make a difference. Thank you very much!

Length
    12 in/14 in/30 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Dry Hair and CO

I'm a new member too

I'm having the same issues, so I'm interested to see what other people have to say on this subject, but what I've found online and around here so far is that it could be the coconut oil that is drying my hair out (and yours) due to too much protein. Not sure if that's the case, just could be a possibility. Hope you find your answers soon!

Length
    chin/MBL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Applying coconut oil over coatings on the hair (such as conditioners, cones, leave ins) can cause crunchy ends for some people, although it certainly doesn't happen for every product or every person.

Maybe you could try a different oil? A couple of drops of mineral oil (baby oil) on damp hair works great to lock moisture into hair and reduces frizz, gives shine and doesn't weigh hair down. There are a couple of great threads on here to learn all about using mineral oil (since your new do a search thru google: 'long hair community mineral oil' should do the trick. I would post a link but I'm on my phone so can't sorry!)

Hope that helps. Oh! And welcome to LHC!

Lady Egleriel, Wanderer of Hallowed Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/M/iii

These articles might help:

Drying Capacity of Oils:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=190

Using Mineral Oil to Moisturize:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225

There's also a mineral oil thread that explores MO in detail.