Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shea Moisture for dry caucasian hair?

Length
    22/33/36
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Shea Moisture for dry caucasian hair?

Most of what I use on my hair has shea butter in it (I use Redken Real Control and Suave Professionals Shea and Almond), it works wonders for my hair and I have wavy hair. Never tried this before, though.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    apl-bsl-waist-hip

Length
    17"/WL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I was excited to try this product because I have very dry hair like you... although mine is a bit wavier at a 2b/2c. I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work well for my hair. It was so heavy and it took forever to rinse out, even after a couple minutes of rinsing there was still a ton left in my hair and it caused a lot of buildup on my scalp. Smells nice and the ingredients are wonderful, but it just didn't do anything for my hair except weigh it down. Boo

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play with your hair." - Kahlil Gibran

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I just bought this shampoo and the deep treatment conditioner and the curl cream. My hair has never been happier. Just had to tell you all.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I have the moisture retention shampoo, which I love but don't use a lot because I'm mostly CO. I absolutely LOVE the coconut & hibiscus curl & style milk. It is very moisturizing and saved my hair. I can't tell you how great this stuff is! It has tons of slip and you can use it as a rinse out conditioner, a leave in, mix with water in a spray bottle, etc. If your hair is dry, I highly recommend it. It may take you a little while to figure out the best way to use it, but don't give up, because it will do wonders for your hair. I do have wavy/curly hair, but I don't think that matters all that much. Don't get too hung up on how products are marketed. Often the most moisturizing products are marketed for curly or kinky hair, but that doesn't mean they won't work for straighter hair. Sometimes the products are heavier, and you probably don't want that, but the SM milk is pretty light.

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I have the moisture milk from this line, and it works great on my fine Caucasian hair.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I have used various products from Shea Moisture, and have loved them all. The yucca @ baobab thickening growth milk is actually quite nice as a leave in, and wasn't what I was expecting. I already have (sometimes excessive) volume, and dont have thin hair issues and was concerned it would behave like a styling creme and be sticky. It wasn't, and it conditioned great.

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

I use the coconut and shea lines, never the anti breakage...it sounds like you have protein overload!

All of their products have protein and I think the anti breakage one has more. Try doing a moisture treatment and seeing how your hair reacts. I switch out my conditioner every 3rd wash for a moisture one to avoid too much protein.

I usually use the shea butter conditioner and shampoo and follow up with natural shea butter or nightbloomings winter protein free pancea. I use the curly coconut smoothie leave in too, but usually after a moisturizing wash because it is protein heavy too.

Protein build up results in dry sometimes snappy hair, I had it and didn't realize it and blamed my products.

ETA: My hair is naturally dry too, I find stiffness to mean it is a protein overload/drier than usual. Maybe check if you old products had protein in them too.
    Last edited by cheetahfast; May 30th, 2013 at 04:11 AM.

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Only thing I can suggest is to try it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I haven't tried Shea Moisture products since a lot of fragrances mess me up. My hair slurps up Alaffia's Everyday Shea conditioner and gets on fine with some of their Beautiful Curls products.

I have occasionally found some shea butter derived conditioners to leave a waxy residue on my hair, but most of the time if that happens, it's because the product does contain waxes. Jojoba oil is technically a liquid wax, and that's fine. Stuff labelled as emulsifying wax has always been fine so far. But I get twitchy about other waxes, since they don't always rinse out well.

I don't find straight shea butter works all that well on my hair either, so too much of a good thing is possible. But I think that's more an absorption issue than anything else.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kherome View Post
    I have the moisture milk from this line, and it works great on my fine Caucasian hair.
    how do you use the moisture milk--leave in or rinse out, co? is this the same as the curl milk?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahfast View Post
    I use the coconut and shea lines, never the anti breakage...it sounds like you have protein overload!

All of their products have protein and I think the anti breakage one has more. Try doing a moisture treatment and seeing how your hair reacts. I switch out my conditioner every 3rd wash for a moisture one to avoid too much protein.

I usually use the shea butter conditioner and shampoo and follow up with natural shea butter or nightbloomings winter protein free pancea. I use the curly coconut smoothie leave in too, but usually after a moisturizing wash because it is protein heavy too.

Protein build up results in dry sometimes snappy hair, I had it and didn't realize it and blamed my products.

ETA: My hair is naturally dry too, I find stiffness to mean it is a protein overload/drier than usual. Maybe check if you old products had protein in them too.
    is this protein overload thing an issue for all types of hair, or just fine or curly types? what ingredients are protein? will it say "protein"?
    Last edited by Gumball; December 7th, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Combined posts into multi-quote. See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43281 for details.