Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rat/bird nest knots

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default rat/bird nest knots

Recently I have been getting what I call rat nest knots. You know the bigs lump knots that are hard as heck to comb out. Does anyone know what causes this? I seem to get them in the center of my almost tbl hair almost daily and sometimes more then one even if I braid my hair at night. Is it a moisture issue, to much protein issue ( I use coconut oil constantly) or what? I know it's not split ends because I just trimmed it
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: rat/bird nest knots

Ah yes, I get those too. Lack of moisture makes it alot worse for me, particularly when I have to wash my hair with normal shampoo/conditioner. Also when I have broken damaged hair midway down my length - even just a little bit - makes them much more common.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I get those when I've oiled my ahi with coconut oil and braided my hair or bunned it for too long.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Not sure, but I used to get those until I started using cones again. I think it just has something to do with the texture of my hair. :/
    Starting over! SL APL BSL waist . . . HIP?

Length
    awl/tb/cl
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I get those from leaving a bun or braid in too long. Sleep in it.still looks good;wear it out next couple days without undoing. Call it "benign neglect". Then I undo:rats bird nest knots. My hair is 2c, fine, allmost CL. Low Bcl length.

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I get those, too. I don't know what causes them, but it usually results in a 1-2 inch cut for me. That temporarily fixes the problem. It also helps to comb my hair several times throughout the day to stop small knots before they become nests.
    January 2012

Length
    3/28/30+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My husband gets them bad. mostly with the lower part of the hair that rests directly on his back. Usually they are from neglecting to comb hair. I can't tell you the number of hours I've spent getting them out. Its actually impossible to use just a comb for them, because an oily head+dandruff (we are working on these problems) makes the worst tangle-fracks. I have to pull out each individual hair from the knots and smooth them down with my fingers to get rid of the buildup. Since I cut 6 inches off his hair a couple weeks ago, and we also started using conditioner, his hair is easier to manage and he actually likes combing his hair now. haha. If his dandruff gets bad, i put tea tree oil on his scalp as well. His hair + scalp look a million times better in just 1 year since I've been caring for it.
    Last edited by barely.there; April 16th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Up in a bun, away from baby fists!!!

Length
    20/37/47
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I have found that even really bad rats/ tangles can come out with ease if you use the right conditioner to relax the hair.

Length
    18/47/53
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Yup, I'm right there with you and it's very frustrating. I've called them rat nests and "snarls" for years. I hate them. Lately I've been conditioning twice in the shower and it has helped. So I guess it's lack of moisture?

Every now and then I'll clarify and deep condition it and that helps too. Not to mention 2 - 3 drops of Baby Oil on my wet / damp hair really helps the wide tooth comb slide through much easier (thanks to Ktani!)

Maybe a good ole S & D concentrated in your tangle area might help too? Or a dusting of the hairs that end around that area?

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

This has happened to my hair all my life and I think for me it's just a texture issue... No matter what I do I will have at least one tiny one per day.
    Lady Nemhain, Keeper of the Underworld Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - 2a/2b - F - i