Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil of Oregano for hair growth...

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Oil of Oregano for hair growth...

I used something like that - or maybe it was oil of thyme - as part of the treatment to get rid of lice years ago. haha; it made the house smell like an Italian restaurant

I don't know if it helped, though. We had an incredibly resistant strain of lice for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I used something like that - or maybe it was oil of thyme - as part of the treatment to get rid of lice years ago. haha; it made the house smell like an Italian restaurant

I don't know if it helped, though. We had an incredibly resistant strain of lice for awhile.

I was thinking how it would smell. Having thyme, rosemary, basil, sage and now oregano... am I going to smell like a spice rack? lol

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyste View Post
    I finally got my shipment of OoO (fun acronym!) and I put it to work last night. The one I got is of 83-85% Carvacol strength. i read the warning to not put this directly on the skin unless diluted a bit. So I melted some coconut oil and then added about 10 drops of the OoO to the mixture. I applied it to the scalp and massaged a little bit. the smell was very pleasant, and I beleive promoted a better night of sleep as well! i cannot tell if it will help with the growth, but it sure feels good on my scalp! i'll report in a month or so....
    Yay!! I can't wait to hear how it goes. I like the feeling of it on my scalp too and it really has taken away all my itchies too! I think mine is 70% Carvacol so you got a really super strong good one!

Length
    47 cm/76 cm/WL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I am not sure what you are calling Oil of Oregano exactly. If it is oregano (corydothymus capitatus) essential oil, please be careful, as with all essential oils.

Oregano EO should not be used by people suffering from hypertension and has to be diluted in a carrier oil or similar (not water!) as it is dermocaustic. It also is hepatotoxic, so don't use it long term.
    SL + APL + BSL + MBL + WL

Quote Originally Posted by bouclée View Post
    I am not sure what you are calling Oil of Oregano exactly. If it is oregano (corydothymus capitatus) essential oil, please be careful, as with all essential oils.

Oregano EO should not be used by people suffering from hypertension and has to be diluted in a carrier oil or similar (not water!) as it is dermocaustic. It also is hepatotoxic, so don't use it long term.

thanks, I assumed the poster meant EO..that's what I was going to buy.

Should it be an oil infused with oregano then?

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

The Oil of Oregano I purchased is found in healthfood stores and IS infact essential oil slightly diluted with olive oil, you could also buy the essential oil yourself and dilute it with oil by yourself. The OoO I have is very strong even though it's diluted a bit so it still requires dilution and says right on the bottle not to use it straight on topical applications.

This is a link to the brand I have... Source Naturals Oil of Oregano It can also be used internally to fight off colds and infections. There are other brands of OoO so you can chose a different brand or buy the essential oil and make the dilution yourself, like I said it definitely needs to be diluted, it is very very strong and can burn if applied directly. It is also very relaxing if applied correctly and makes the scalp feel very refreshed

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I agree, my scalp feels really good! I love OoO!
    Mrsbaybeegirl, do you also ingest it? If you do, what for and how do you do it?
    ..: Amethyste ~ The Manic Panicked Thereminist :..
    www.soundcloud.com/amethyste

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyste View Post
    I agree, my scalp feels really good! I love OoO!
    Mrsbaybeegirl, do you also ingest it? If you do, what for and how do you do it?
    I have ingested it before and take it when I suspect I am getting sick or if I am around someone who is sick. The bottle I have suggests mixing 1-4 drops in 8 oz of water but when I tried that I just didn't like the taste and would rather it be once and done so I took the dropper it came with and put about 2 drops under my tongue (making sure it doesn't touch my taste buds) tilt my head back and chug a big glass of water lol I can barely taste it at all if I do it fast enough. The bottle I have suggests it as a DAILY supplement but I don't feel it's necessary for everyday use internally.

Before I posted this thread, I was curious to see if anyone here had tried OoO for their hair/scalp, since I had came across articles on the web stating it helps with hair growth, so I used LHC search and although there wasn't much about putting it on the scalp, there was a thread going around with people supplementing with it for health and fighting off colds, some of them used OoO in pill form, others used the oil. I've read in other places on the web some people mix it in with orange juice or milk, but I'm sure even the sweetest OJ won't mask the taste 100% LOL

Length
    10 in/32 in/??
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

I might try this. I have the same problem with my scalp but it has gotten better now that I am getting away from chemicals. Thanks for posting this . I'll let you all know how it works on my hair type soon

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Okay guys, so I've been using the OoO for about 3 weeks now and I have definitely seen growth! Almost our of no where! However there are some thing it can be attributed to. First off I have grown a solid measurable inch (by my roots from henna) in 6 weeks, which may not seem like a lot but for me it is. And given a 1/2 inch per month is normal, I'm still above average growth. And last time it took me from November til March to see one inch of growth! BUT that was my typical winter stall, so all things considered my one inch sprouting up could be just a growth spurt. The other thing I have to mention, which makes me think it's the OoO is this inch sprouted out of no where, it's NOT like I saw steady growth for 6 weeks (and I can easily see growth at the roots)...it's only been the last 2 weeks! I have pictures that I'm trying to upload in my albums but there is a problem going on with the site and I'm not able to at the moment.

I do think the OoO has had something to do with this! I also did my my first potent OoO application (mixed with coconut oil only) about a week ago and have been adding several drops to my Co washes (about 2-3x's a week) and let it sit on my head for an hour+ before rinsing instead of the 5-10 mins for my CO washes. I also add a drop of ylang ylang EO to my CO wash and 2 drops of grapefruit oil EO..this maybe a contributing factor although I've been adding those for about 2 months now minus the OoO

I have also STOPPED taking Biotin for the past month or more and am surprised I had such good growth without it. Biotin made me break out and my nails were chipping off like crazy and it never did much for my hair either I guess!

Anyways, I will report more in a couple more weeks