Thread: Horn Combs?

Length
    SL/SL+/TBL??
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Horn Combs?

Where is a good place to buy a decent wide-tooth horn comb? Can you use these while your hair is wet, or will it kill it like it does a wooden comb? I'd rather not shell out the money and then have it shatter on me.

Thanks!

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Horn Combs?

Sorry I can't be more help. I finger comb when it's wet so I can be more gentle so I don't know.
    APL~BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Type
    2a/F/ii

I got mine on amazon, it's by Hair Art but Hair Sense is also a good brand.

Your hair is at it's weakest when it's wet. My suggestion is don't detangle, comb or brush it while it's wet. BUT if you absolutely have to, sfgirl is right, finger combing is your safest option, just make sure you pull each knot gently apart by hand if you find one.

ETA: Another alternative is combing it while you have conditioner in it and pre-wash combing as well. That should make it easier for you.

I can't say either way on the strength of the bone comb versus the wooden comb. My hair doesn't tangle much. I did read about one coarse, thick haired lady that broke a hair sense comb on her first detangling, so they may not be for you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Roscata; April 17th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Length
    shave/36TBL/Floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

I have a wide toothed yak horn comb and I absolutely love it. In comparison to all other materials, it is the smoothest and most like human hair itself with the least static and drag. It's my favourite hair tool. I got it from e-bay and paid $5. It was going for $6 but had a 'make an offer' option so I decided I wanted to pay $5-no probs. Check it out and just make sure you look closely at the pictures and any combs have no rough edges between the teeth because they are hand-carved.
    I comb my hair before I wash to minimise tangles in wet hair and do not comb it wet. When it is dry, my horn comb does a good job of detangling.

Length
    SL/SL+/TBL??
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I don't need to fully comb my wet hair so much as "arrange" it. Bangs need combing though, when wet, unless I want to look terrifying.

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I mostly finger detangle but I also use this comb. It detangles without pulling my hair. I've noticed a significant decrease of shedded hairs with it....and it's so cheap! I just use the orange one (wider)

http://www.curlmart.com/product/cric...big-time-comb/
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have a horn comb and I never use it,just a waste of money if you ask me, I like the little comb that comes with the hair scissor kit more better or even my tangle teaser I like using more instead of my horn comb.
    Last edited by littlestarface; April 17th, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Length
    20/27/36
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I have a horn comb and I quite like it, but I don't think you're supposed to use them on wet hair. To be honest I do sometimes anyway and I haven't had a problem with it so far. I can't imagine it breaking, it seems to be pretty solidly made. I would highly recommend one, personally.

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Roscata View Post
    I got mine on amazon, it's by Hair Art but Hair Sense is also a good brand.
    Has anyone here used one of those bone combs from hairsense? My horn comb snapped in half, so I'm looking for a replacement. The resin they said their combs are made of I find intriguing, but I'd like to know how it compares to horn.

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by auburntressed View Post
    Has anyone here used one of those bone combs from hairsense? My horn comb snapped in half, so I'm looking for a replacement. The resin they said their combs are made of I find intriguing, but I'd like to know how it compares to horn.

I have three of the Hairsense combs: the Palm Pic, the wide-tooth detangling rake, and the dense-tooth detangler "for long, fine hair." Be prepared to do a lot of sanding if you get one; there are visible (and tangible) saw marks even though there aren't seams. I quite like the combs now that they are sanded and smooth, but I was disappointed that they had to be sanded at all.

I love the wide-tooth combs; they glide through my hair much more easily than my fingers, and I use them the most. I don't use the dense-tooth comb very much because I couldn't sand between the teeth and I'm scared it'll shred my fine hair. As far as fine-tooth combs go, I love love love the best my leaf-shaped horn comb from quecraft on etsy. It feels much smoother than the dense-tooth comb from Hairsense.... and it's purty.

Collarbone --> Hip --> ??