Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Bleach Streakers!!!

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Default Calling all Bleach Streakers!!!

Hey all!!! *waves*
    I am wanting to put in about 3 or 4 bleached chunks in my hair. So i can use deposite only dyes on them ( i want purple hair...badly)
    No keeping in mind this will only be sections.

Does bleaching sections interfere with the rest of the hair? Does it make it tangle up? Is it annoying? Any advice or not?

I've had bleached sections before and my hair was waist length, i didn't notice anything negative, until years later. I'm wondering as a long hair if there are negatives. I also used chemical dye 3 times OVER the bleach, that may be why my hair was so fried afterwards...

I did go and buy some white human hair extensions that should be arriving shortly so I'm going to play with them first...then i will consider bleaching my real hair (I'm chopping to APL/collar bone in January!)
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Calling all Bleach Streakers!!!

hi tiny teesha!

Bleaching does change the texture of your hair, making it more porous and less silky, but I wouldn't think you'd notice this to a drastic degree. Do you use 'cones? I found using a conditioner with 'cones when I had highlights helped keep the hair much smoother, although I never tried things like oils instead.

Dyeing with deposit-only dyes on top will probably smooth the cuticle of the hair shaft and protect those strands a bit more than leaving them with just the bleach.

HTH and Happy Holidays!

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Teesha after you bleach you can use deposit only color and it will work fine. It will also require quite a bit of maintenance to keep it looking nice. For example a bright purple will usually fade to an ugly lavender within several weeks and don't even get me started on how lovely green looks after a few weeks!

Bleaching damages hair causing tangles, breakage etc. So if you have several bleached sections I would assume that they would tangle and be generally not that healthy.

I know you're not asking for this but I am just going to throw my in:

You are cutting your hair because of taper from bleach damage correct??

and your hair didn't handle bleach all that well and it caused damage... so why do you want to bleach again?

I guess it just saddens me because I know how hard you've been working to grow your hair and deal with the damage... bleaching again just seems like a step back. But I guess the nice thing about hair is that you can change it and it sounds like that's your prerogative right now.
    Last edited by EvaSimone; December 24th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

You might want to look at this thread:
    Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage
    Basically saying that applying heavily coconut oil before bleaching/coloring with peroxide containing conventional dye would minimize the damage.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

melikai - right now i just got back on cones again...haha. I didn't know the deposit only would make it smoother! That is rad!
    EvaSimone - i know i know... But before when i had bleach i also dyed on top 4 times with box dye- so i think that might be what made it worse!!! It won't be large sections. I was thinking a 2cm squared section of hair just above each ear, and one on top in the middle. MAYBE one at the back bottom of my neck (nape?) and that would be it!
    You're right though....I'm trying to be all healthy with my hair. I tried so hard. I guess i'm half giving up because i want my hair thick and that will never happen! But i do remember seeing at least 2 members here with long hair and bleached streaks! Back in the day when it was bleach on virgin hair i don't remember them being in horrible condition and i never did masks. But i also only had them like that a month before i ruined them with multiple applications of box dye! So I'm not sure if with time they would become nasty and tangly!
    I will play with my extensions before i do anything rash!
    Heidi_234 - thank you!

I also have henna on the ends, so i will likely put the bleach in after i chop the henna off.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Wow....Dec 08.
    Well! Almost a year later...i never did it, but i did grow out a lot of the henna.
    And.
    I want to do it. Still. And my hair is thin. So guess what?
    I'm going to! (and i'm debating this summer to chop to collar or shave...it will be one!)

Any more advice anyone?

I've bought bleach and peroxide in 20 and 30vol. I'm going to do some strand tests tommorow with each and seeing which has the least damaging effect with the most accurate colour result i want. LOADS of testing and photos will be taken. I want to do this right!

This time however i'm going to start with a patch below my fringe (only would take me 6 months to a year to grow out!) so its an easy change and grow out with no worries!
    ...[me]

Length
    0.5"/21/28
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I would think about it a bit! I did this, and to lift my really dark hair colour, took a lot of bleach, a lot of processing time, and it fried the ends of my hair.

I did love the colour though :P

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

i've thought about it for yearrrrrrs.
    Plus i'm starting with one tiny section under my fringe. No time at all to out grow!
    I've been dye free for 3 years after dyeing my hair about 6 times in the span of a few months (and previously being a dye virgin)
    I think i'm ready for this little bit of fun finally! If there will be one thing i love my hair for...the purple!
    ...[me]

Length
    ?/31.5"/35 "
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Then go ahead! Try it and have fun, you know what the consequences could be and your willing to take the risk.

Your growing your hair for you, and only you, and if you want to have fun with it you should. And purple looks fantastic, especially with your hair color (wouldn't want to try it with mine )

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Oh i'm jsut wondering if there is any advice on making it less damaging really. I know i'll try the coconut method.
    I also want to know if jsut bleaching sections will cause it to tangle with the healthy hair and potentially ruining more hair then just that section.

Also...is my hair going to be absolute hay? Or just a bit dry? Can a few masks or weekly mask cure that? Has anyone got soft bleached hair?

Is there anyone out there with bleaches streaks in punky colours out there? Any words of advice for me to carry this out as healthy as possible?
    ...[me]