Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting headaches

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Getting headaches

I am sure there is a thread in here somewhere on this, but I don't even know what to search for.

My hair is not thick, freshly washed it is barely a ii, on day two or three it is definately i. It is just past APL though, and now when I wear it up in a french twist with a hair stick, I am getting headaches. My hair is kind of layered, so I can't really do many buns yet, but if I am going to start practising some it makes sense to learn how to balance them so I don't get a sore neck or headaches.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share? What else could be causing this?
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    27.5/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Getting headaches

The easiest culprit, I think, would be pulling it to tightly.

The other reason could be that your hair follicles are not used to being manipulted. You may have to get used to having you hair up. If that is the case, I would wear it up for 30-60 minutes, then switch to down. This should give your hair time to get accustomed to styles.

As your hair gets longer weight distribution is important. Everyone has, go to styles, that suit them best. You may want to try a crown braid, it distributes weight very evenly.

Good Luck

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Happens to me too, my scalp was so sore I had to take my single BRAID down during the night because it hurt bad as I slept. But today I washed my hair and basically massaged my scalp for like 5 minutes CO-WASHING, usually I only massage for 2 minutes to get a clean feeling. My headaches are gone. Maybe do a braid and then bun. Use pomade for the layers
    Lady SpiralSong of the Everwinding Tales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

I have noticed that if anything touches my scalp directly other than my hair, I'll get a lot of pain from it. So... hairpins, hairsticks, clips... I have to be very careful that they are stuck in the hair without brushing my scalp. If your hair is on the thin side, it might be harder to avoid allowing a stick or pin to make contact with your scalp. I don't know if you're sensitive to that, but you might experiment to see.

Length
    chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

I used to get headaches, too. I figured out I was pulling my hair too tightly. I found a balance that worked well, but it took trial and error. I hope your headache goes away!

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Hmm, some things to think about!

The stick does touch my scalp, and the hair is pulled tight, because that is the only way I can get it to stay right now. I will have to figure out another way I guess!

I have tried braiding my hair and then bunning it, but it doesn't work so good yet, that is my plan when it gets longer though!
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Try sectioning it differently each day and wearing it up for a shorter amount of time, gradually increasing as you get used to it. I used to wear my hair in the same braided ponytail, almost everyday, and I would get headaches to the point of wanting to be able to just take my hair off, like a wig. I eventually cut it. But that was going from TB, no layers. As I near TB again, I worry about getting the headaches, but so far, so good. I change my updo's regularly and don't pull it too tight.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

What's the angle of your hairstick? I know I get some serious scalp-pulling with vertical and near-vertical sticks. They're much better for me as they approach horizontal.

BTW, are you talking about actual headaches or scalp/follicle aches? I think it's important to distinguish whether your follicles are complaining about direction/tension/whatever POs a follicle or if the position and weight of your hair is causing tension headaches.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    What's the angle of your hairstick? I know I get some serious scalp-pulling with vertical and near-vertical sticks. They're much better for me as they approach horizontal.

BTW, are you talking about actual headaches or scalp/follicle aches? I think it's important to distinguish whether your follicles are complaining about direction/tension/whatever POs a follicle or if the position and weight of your hair is causing tension headaches.
    How can you tell the difference in folicle pain or hair heaviness?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    How can you tell the difference in folicle pain or hair heaviness?
    For me, follicle pain is right on the surface. The scalp feels all achy and strange if you massage it with your fingers or change the hair direction a little. A tension headache is a headache -- it echos through your whole head, like your brain hurts.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!