Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Where to buy Cassia?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    163
    Length
    16?/19.5/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

    Default Where to buy Cassia?

    I've ordered from Henna for Hair and it's good--

    What are your best sources? I want to shop around a little--

    thanks,
    Bea

  2. #2
    live to dare,dare to live lora410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The flat state
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,036
    Length
    SL/Hip/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    http://www.mehandi.com



    http://www.hennsooq.com

    I personally like mehandi's cassia better and they are cheaper.
    Current almost tbl; goal terminal?

  3. #3
    Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louie, Louie
    Posts
    2,129
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    Ha, this is funny, I just cassiaed last night!

    I use herbco.com. Here's the link to the cassia page.

    It's $3 for one pound of senna (which is cassia). One pound is 454 grams. They sell it for intestinal problems, not hair, so that's why there is the price difference.
    It is a slightly coarser grain than the hair stuff, but it's also extremely fresh, and full of chrysophanic acid. I've never had any difficulty washing it out.
    The only problem is that there is a small order fee for orders under $20. So, you want to stock up-- or get some spices or teas for your kitchen.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    163
    Length
    16?/19.5/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    After I posted this, I was looking for something else and remembered this site:
    http://www.herbalcom.com/

    and checked them out--they sell the same cassia you order (senna alexandria, I think) for $3-something per pound--and I went ahead and ordered it and was going to "experiment" and report back.

    (I could also get a pound of Earl Gray tea for $6--much better than the $2-something for 1 1/2 oz in teabags from Walmart!!)

    Good to know you're using similar and having good results; I can't WAIT to try it out!! I have a small amt from hennaforhair that I used this morning; no great results yet, but I'm going to do it again in a few weeks.

    Bea

    Quote Originally Posted by chloeishere View Post
    Ha, this is funny, I just cassiaed last night!

    I use herbco.com. Here's the link to the cassia page.

    It's $3 for one pound of senna (which is cassia). One pound is 454 grams. They sell it for intestinal problems, not hair, so that's why there is the price difference.
    It is a slightly coarser grain than the hair stuff, but it's also extremely fresh, and full of chrysophanic acid. I've never had any difficulty washing it out.
    The only problem is that there is a small order fee for orders under $20. So, you want to stock up-- or get some spices or teas for your kitchen.

  5. #5
    Cake or Death Jeni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,680
    Length
    16"/waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    I also just ordered a pound from herbco.com. After hearing good things on the cassia thread I have high hopes. It's so much cheaper then H4H.

  6. #6
    I ♥ My Silvers mellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Land of Porch Swings (S. Indiana, USA)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,264
    Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    Interesting! I had problems with the fine sift of H4H, I wonder if herbco.com's henna mixes are coarser as you say their cassia is? The prices are very good!
    Last edited by mellie; July 26th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

  7. #7
    Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louie, Louie
    Posts
    2,129
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    Quote Originally Posted by QueenBea View Post
    After I posted this, I was looking for something else and remembered this site:
    http://www.herbalcom.com/

    and checked them out--they sell the same cassia you order (senna alexandria, I think) for $3-something per pound--and I went ahead and ordered it and was going to "experiment" and report back.

    (I could also get a pound of Earl Gray tea for $6--much better than the $2-something for 1 1/2 oz in teabags from Walmart!!)

    Good to know you're using similar and having good results; I can't WAIT to try it out!! I have a small amt from hennaforhair that I used this morning; no great results yet, but I'm going to do it again in a few weeks.

    Bea
    Glad to help your memory! Please let us know what you think. You could also post in the cassia thread about it-- that way it's in the main thread. They do have good prices!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeni View Post
    I also just ordered a pound from herbco.com. After hearing good things on the cassia thread I have high hopes. It's so much cheaper then H4H.
    Did you mean that you ordered from herbalcom? One pound of senna would not be worth purchasing (alone) from herbco. But I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Interesting! I had problems with the fine sift of H4H, I wonder if herbco.com's henna mixes are coarser as you say their cassia is? The prices are very good!
    I didn't even realize they sold henna! If I had realized, I would have purchased some to tinker around with, though I don't think henna would suit me... I'm very curious, though. And I like that they list all the things that go into their blends. (For others, since the site is a bit of a pain to navigate, here is the link to the henna information page.) It does sound like it may be BAQ (since they mention body art), but I'm not sure. The senna is still not very coarsely ground (it still will blow around a bit when you are pouring liquid in), but it does sound like it is coarser than the stuff from H4H or mehandi. I have a picture of the powder somewhere, let me look...

    Here it is! This is cassia powder, about 2 tablespoons, IIRC. Hopefully this gives you an idea of the roughness...


    I would get the henna myself, to try it out (and let you know about it), but I have FIVE pounds of cassia, and I'm only just about to finish the first pound bag (which did 8 treatments). So unless I see a bunch of other herbs that I want to try out, I probably won't be ordering for quite some time!

    I do remember that you and your husband were having coughing problems from the fine powder, so I'm sorry I can't help more!
    Last edited by chloeishere; July 26th, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to paste cassia picture link. OY!


  8. #8
    Cake or Death Jeni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,680
    Length
    16"/waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    chloeishere- I got more then just the cassia from herbco.com, I got some oils and tea and stuff, spent more then $20 so no fee. Not sure what the fee is for orders under $20 but 400 grams from H4H is $34 so unless the fee is incredibly high I would think you would still come out better with herbco.

  9. #9
    Cake or Death Jeni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,680
    Length
    16"/waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    Henna at herbco-

    I just looked and they do sell henna leaf powder, 5 kinds. black, blond, red, chestnut, and neutral. I clicked on the description and it doesn't say what it is mixed with.

  10. #10
    I ♥ My Silvers mellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Land of Porch Swings (S. Indiana, USA)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,264
    Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Where to buy Cassia?

    Thanks Chloeishere for the photo! It does look a bit coarser and hopefully would be OK! I am curious to try it...

    Jeni, they do list what is in their mixes, just scroll down towards the bottom of the page. For example on Henna (Black), they list: "A blend of: Lawsonia inermis (86&#37 and Indigo (17%)" And Blond is "A blend of: Lawsonia inermis (97%), Rhubarb (1%), and Lichen (2%)".
    Last edited by mellie; July 27th, 2008 at 06:28 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •