Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Listerine for Scalp

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Talking Re: Listerine for Scalp

Quote Originally Posted by canucky2 View Post
    It helps kill lice too. I have used it on my kids hair when they came home from school with lice. Drench them in the lice, put a shower cap on them, watch a disney movie, and voila... dead lice.
    that's very good to know! thanks for sharing, canucky2! i'll bet the people that make all thse expensive lice shampoos dont want this secret getting out!
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    BSL/SL/Clssc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Listerine for Scalp

I'm going to try this on my boyfriend's terribly dandruffy hair. He hates putting product and even dandruff shampoo on himself. Let's see if he submits to Listerine....

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Finally got my bottle of original, non-minty yellow Listerine this afternoon.

I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and try it for athlete's foot as well, since I've only just managed to banish the patch that appears on my left foot every spring since I lived in a flat with a scuzzy bathroom carpet

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

i've tried this 2 times so far.
    the 1st time i mixed 1.5 oz listerine with 1 oz tap water, and left it on my scalp for about 15 min or so before rinsing. i DID have some sore spots on my scalp prior to testing this out, but there was no burning or stinging sensation. just made my scalp feel fresh i'm WO, and was worried about this stripping off too much sebum, but it hasnt, and actually doesnt make my hair feel any drier at all, although i DO think it's removed some buildup i had left from honey lightening.

i normally WO wash my hair every 7 to 9 days, but figured waiting that long between listerine rinses wouldnt allow it to do it's thing as well, so i only waited 4 days, and now i have some on right now. This time it's actually been left on long enough to dry- maybe 30 minutes or so (this dries faster than just plain water does). i'm using the same ration as the 1st time, since i dont want any scalp irritation.

as far as results go, the 1st rinse seemed to make my flakes dry up and actually flake off better, as opposed to just sticking to the scalp area. i'll do at least a few more rinses before i make up my mind about it though, and i'm thinking of washing every 3 days.

i'll for sure keep you guys updated
    i had to be all sneaky when i told DH we needed listerine. he looked suspicious, and was all "what for....?". "my teeth...." *looks innocent* if he notices the slightly minty smell to my hair pre-rinse i'm not sure how i'll explain it....
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Any updates on this method ?? I totally forgot about it and I do recall that it worked well.

I think anything that contains an anti-fungal agent is going to be a winner for these kind of scalp issues, I am convinced it is a fungal
    condition and those are really hard to ever be totally cured of. The less caustic and drying, all the better of course.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Sledgehammer to crack a nut, there is no need to destroy your entire beneficial skin flora to deal with a yeast overgrowth. Better to choose cleansing products and topicals that respect the skin barrier/ protective acid mantle whilst effectively cleansing sebum and possibly inhibiting the malassezia yeast, no sulphate surfactants because these thin the skin barrier at concentrations as low as 1%. Careful with which oils touch your scalp in seborrhoeic dermatitis, limit or avoid oleic acid especially, also palmitic and stearic if possible.

Targeted diet modification can be very effective in seborrhoeic dermatitis and to a lesser extent in psoriasis: you can manipulate the amount of and composition of the sebum, reduce systemic inflammation strengthen the skin barrier, reduce inappropriate immune responses. Especially consider your intake of oily fish, sugar and white/ refined carbs. Research has progressed massively in nutrition and topicals for dermatological health in recent years, so what you were told in the past may not be current understanding.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sycamoreboutiqu View Post
    Any updates on this method ?? I totally forgot about it and I do recall that it worked well.

I think anything that contains an anti-fungal agent is going to be a winner for these kind of scalp issues, I am convinced it is a fungal
    condition and those are really hard to ever be totally cured of. The less caustic and drying, all the better of course.
    Malassezia is a yeast so yes seborrhoeic dermatitis has a fungal component, however malassezia lives on all of us usually without causing problems so there is no requirement to be 'cured' of anything, yeast will normally be kept in check by other microbes on our scalp and by the environment not being overly hospitable. There is not one single problem to be resolved, SD is believed to be a combination of circumstances, a weakened or faulty skin barrier (this can be genetic or caused by products or both), poor lifestyle choices/ stress/ systemic inflammation (the suffix -ITIS denotes inflammation) which affects sebum composition and/ or immune response. Research suggests those with both SD and acne often have a different balance of fatty acids in their sebum which is believed to contribute to their condition, this can be manipulated with diet.

It is not the yeast itself that causes the symptoms it is the waste products, cleanse the scalp and you do remove both the food source (sebum) and irritant fatty acid laden waste so get temporary relief. However overcleanse the scalp or use a product with an alkaline pH, you thin the skin barrier so irritation becomes more likely, destroy the beneficial microbes that help keep malassezia in check, change the pH of the scalp so that conditions are more hospitable to the yeast, strip the scalp so it is encouraged to pump out more sebum (food) so you get trapped in a cycle. Thus in many cases it's more important for chronic (as opposed to temporary) relief to avoid caustic and drying ingredients than to use an anti fungal because what you ideally want is the body to control the yeast naturally.

Unfortunately most commercial dandruff shampoos utilise sulphate surfactants, my mother's atopic eczema/ seborrhoeic dermatitis reduced by at least half simply by switching to a sulphate free shampoo 'base' not using any yeast suppressing ingredients. The only ketoconazole product I know of that is sulphate free is Regenepure, if I had fairly mild SD I would try Komaza Care Moja shampoo (pH 4.5 with scalp friendly ingredients), later adding a little tea tree oil if that was insufficient. I'd also be using more aloe vera inner leaf gel (proven anti inflammatory, healing) than I do at present.
    Last edited by Firefox7275; May 27th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'm glad it worked for you. Ive never heard of it until now.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com