Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Listerine for Scalp

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Listerine for Scalp

I've posted before about my scalp problems. I have psoriasis, and it's hardest to treat on my scalp. I have had prescription creams, tgel shampoo, and ACV rinses help, but the problem always seemed to come back.

Anyways, I recently saw a video pop up on my feed on YouTube. A girl demonstrated how to fight dandruff using Listerine. I decided to give it a shot.

I know we are supposed to wait 6 weeks before deciding whether something works for us or not, so I'm going to keep tracking this. Right now, after one week, I can honestly say that my scalp is more flake-free than I can ever remember it being. I am pleased.

My routine:

Spray a few tablespoons of original Listerine (it's the yellow one) on scalp. Concentrate on problem areas. Make sure to avoid hair as much as possible, because Listerine contains alcohol.

Massage the Listerine into the scalp. If any area needs more, spray until its all evenly covered. Again, avoid hair as much as possible.

Twist hair up into a top knot and wait 20-30 minutes.

Rinse upside down, while holding the length out of the way, for 3 mins. I do this so the alcohol has even less chance of contacting my length.

Wash as usual. (lately, I've been using Tresemme naturals, but the shampoo/conditioner shouldn't make a difference.)

I do notice a minty fragrance afterwards. It goes away in a few hours. When my scalp is soaking in the Listerine, the alcohol/mint is very strong, but I am not bothered by it. It also does sting/tingle a bit on any areas of broken skin, but overall is really relaxing. I think mint is good for calming your nerves

Anyways, I just wanted to post this, just in case anyone has any tips (is it safe?) or if anyone else wants to try. Hope it helps someone like it helped me!
    Last edited by Capybara; April 8th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Length
    23.5/29/35
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Listerine for Scalp

I haven't tried this but I follow Andrea too! I would think that the listerine would be very harsh for your scalp but if it works go for it! Do you notice anymore shedding than usual?

Length
    28/28/38
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

I've used listerine to clear up skin issues before - I guess the alcohol kills bacteria or something
    However it can also be very drying so using it too much or in too strong a stength might cause more flakiness [just a guess - not a proffesional here]

Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I enjoy her videos a lot - we're definitely different styles, but it's great to get new ideas!

I haven't been shedding more than usual, but again, it's only been one week. I've used some pretty powerful prescription medications on my scalp/body before because of this, so I figured that an OTC product would be safe to try.

I do mostly concentrate it on my nape area. Some areas of my scalp are relatively psoriasis free, so I'm not worrying about those just yet. Better safe than sorry eh!

Length
    17/42/30

That sounds quite interesting but I'd be too scared to try this myself! I was thinking of trying ACV for my dandruff but I'm not quite sure about how I should dilute it and if it will be harsh on the hair.

Have you tried putting the Listerine into a colour applicator bottle instead? I'd imagine it would be much easier to avoid getting it on the hair this way.

Goal met and exceeded, now what?
    I have curly virgin hair which is currently tailbone length un-stretched.

Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

@Covet: Good idea! I bought a small spray bottle from the drug store, and decant a little Listerine into it to spray. It has an adjustable nozzle so I can control how much comes out with each squeeze too.

ACV worked for me, but I found the ratio a little tricky. I'm more partial to minty smells than vinegar, as well.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

This is really intriguing. I admit when I saw the thread title I thought "Are you mad?!" but now I'm tempted to give it a try. I'm always looking for something that will shut my scalp psoriasis up, and I'm smack bang in the middle of a flare up at the moment too. I don't suppose you could give a link for the video?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but: Do you use it straight, not diluted at all? Is the spray application key? I don't have a spray bottle hanging around, would applying it another way work? Also, I don't think a yellow original Listerine is available here. Do you think Cool Mint would work? Here's the ingredients:

Aqua, Alcohol, Sorbitol, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Eucalyptol, Aroma, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Menthol, Sodium Benzoate, CI 42053.

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

I've heard this myself. I think the reason it works is because listerine is very acidic, like vinegar. Which is a reason to be careful of - ie it might be a bit too acidic for hair.

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    Do you use it straight, not diluted at all? Also, is the spray application key? I don't have a spray bottle hanging around, would applying it another way work? Also, I don't think a yellow original Listerine is available here. Do you think Cool Mint would work? Here's the ingredients:
    You can definitely get original listerine - from Boots, supermarkets etc.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

hmmm... Glad it works for you! I probably wouldn't try it because of the alcohol... and how harsh it might be.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length