Thread: Listerine for Scalp

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Listerine for Scalp

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    I would think it would be bad for the hair....drying. No?
    That is what I am worried about. I've been trying my best to have minimal Listerine-to-hair contact. I figure, though, I'd rather have dryer hair and a happy scalp, than to not be able to wear dark colours
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    I would think it would be bad for the hair....drying. No?
    There are times when I reach a point that I'll do anything to stop the itching. If it works, it'll be worth the extra deep moisture treatments now and then. (Getting rid of the flakes too would just be a fantastic bonus!)

Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    There are times when I reach a point that I'll do anything to stop the itching. If it works, it'll be worth the extra deep moisture treatments now and then. (Getting rid of the flakes too would just be a fantastic bonus!)

I completely agree

Length
    calf/tb/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I've used Listerine for the itchies before. Did the trick brilliantly. Only used it occasionally and it didn't seem to affect the condition of my hair. I wetted the length of my hair first though so it would have been a little diluted if it dribbled through it.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeebug View Post
    I've used Listerine for the itchies before. Did the trick brilliantly. Only used it occasionally and it didn't seem to affect the condition of my hair. I wetted the length of my hair first though so it would have been a little diluted if it dribbled through it.
    That is a good idea. Maybe even do a CLC - Conditioner - Listerine - Conditioner
    to protect and moisturize before and after.

Hmmm - I have some off brand stuff on hand, going to check the ingredients and see if it qualifies.

Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Ooh, great idea!

If could C-L-C, would you wet your hair before applying the conditioner, or just apply it to dry hair?

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    Ooh, great idea!

If could C-L-C, would you wet your hair before applying the conditioner, or just apply it to dry hair?
    Just tried it tonight. My scalp was having it's usual issues. Feels ok for day or so then the itchy spots flare up and the flaky gunk starts.

I started with my usual CO wash routine, saturating my dry scalp with some VO5 Conditioner (Mango I think) and then some on the length and left on for 30+ minutes.

Then bending way over the tub I took a small bottle of off-brand mint mouthwash and poured it slowly on the back of my head till I could feel it dripping through to the front (being careful not to get in eyes). I massaged this in for a half minute then started the rinsing. Washing this way bent over a tub it is impossible not to get some of it down the length - doing it in the shower would probably be easier.

The result was that it kind of made the conditioner feel extra creamy, not bad at all. I rinsed thoroughly, and did a second conditioning with my fav Garnier Nutrisse brand along with a final blob as a leave in.

My hair still has a minty scent, but not too strong. Scalp feels good - so the test will be to see how long it stays that way.

Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

sycamoreboutiqu, glad that your scalp is feeling better so far! Hope it continues that way!

I think the mint actually has a lot to do with it. Mint is calming, and seems to numb the itching

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Just a mini in progress update. I literally have Listerine on my head at the moment, marinading for ten minutes before I wash my hair. I finally got hold of a bottle of the Original today, so I thought why not. I can get used to the smell, sort of antiseptic and menthol mixed together. It doesn't burn nearly as much as I expected - just a warm tingling. Bleaching my upper lip is more painful than this. I'll update with my scalp's reaction in a few days.

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Same here, just used Listerine on my scalp before washing and I'll update in a few days as to whether it helped or not.