Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Listerine for Scalp

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Default Re: Listerine for Scalp

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    That's really interesting, thanks Pelicano. Cheeky to ask, but is apple cider vinegar the same pH as its white cousin?
    I don't have any to hand to test at the moment, but I think so.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pelicano View Post
    I don't have any to hand to test at the moment, but I think so.
    I remember, in my first year Chemistry lab, we measured the pH and % by volume (or was it mass? Can't remember now) of acetic acid in different brands of white and apple cider vinegar. The ones we tested were the same.
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Just throwing this out there, but it's not actually the alcohol in the mouthwash that is doing any of the killing, the alcohol is used to preserve the essential oils Eucalyptol, Methyl salicylate, Thymol, and Menthol, which are the active ingredients that are bacteriostatic/bacteriocidal to oral microorganisms. The "burning" sensation experienced when using Listerine antiseptic comes from the Thymol and not the alcohol. I am not saying that the alcohol isn't possibly a beneficial contributing factor, but when used as an oral mouth rinse, it isn't what has a beneficial effect. I'm quite curious now as to whether or not rubbing alcohol would produce similar effects to Listerine, or if it's the EO's that are the "working party" so to speak for the scalp. *goes off to the Google*
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Post Re: Listerine for Scalp

Back in cosmetology school we used to do scalp treatments on each other. I always had what was called "oily scalp" those who had dry dandruff were treated with cholesterol treatment after having their scalp stimulated and those like me had Sea Breeze applied to our scalp. Sea breeze was a pretty harsh facial astringent that was slightly minty and would burn and tingle a bit but it helped, it also had alcohol in it but never dried my hair out...then again that was back when I was bleaching my hair, flat ironing it and had a perm so the Sea Breeze was the last of my worries lol

I'm wondering if listerine would have the same properties and be akin to the Sea Breeze treatment. I googled it and found a lot of people saying it works wonders on the scalp so I'm now tempted to try it myself!! If I give it a go, I will let you know what my experience is with it, thanks!

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

All of this seems to reinforce the idea that dandruff and scalp issues (even when diagnosed as Psoriasis) may be more fungal or yeast in nature. I always noticed my scalp had no issues for a least a week after doing a box color root touch up and I suspect a lot of it had to do with the peroxide/ammonia combination killing anything that might have been present.

Bacteria could be an issue but it isn't as persistent and difficult to get rid of as is a fungal or a yeast colony. They seem to never go away (athletes foot once you get it is pretty much present forever - it just doesn't flare under dry conditions). The fact that our scalps tend to "flare" seems significant. Bacteria don't usually keep coming back in "flares" and unless you have a really dirty head they really need more favorable conditions to grow to numbers great enough to degrade your skin.

The ingredients Menthol and Eucalyptus would be significant factors I would suppose.

I recently have been doing some Tea Tree/Aloe scalp treatments, they worked but I just hate the smell of Tea Tree so I can't continue the experiment. The Listerine sounds like a viable alternative if just kept to the scalp area.

OH - SEABREEZE ! Haven't heard that name in ages. Yikes we used to use that for everything, stung like crazy - even on unbroken skin. Hmm, wonder what was in it or if it is still around.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Interesting reviews about the Seabreeze at Amazon - one claims if there is Glycerin in the ingredients it is not the original formula.
    http://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Astring...DateDescending

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I know a lot of barbes use sea breeze on scalps, and I love how it feels on my face, so maybe it's kind of the same?
    APL~BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Type
    2a/C/iii

I read you can use listerine for athlete's foot, so I'm assuming it's fungicidal and that's what's helping?
    Glad to hear it's working for you, Capybara!
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I'm inclined to think that the flakes on my scalp are fungal in nature, at least now. The psoriasis creams and shampoos used to work but they don't anymore, and I suspect that it's because they aren't treating anything but psoriasis.

I tested a patch of skin that isn't on my scalp but has had a flare up recently, and so far it isn't responding. I think that that is the psoriasis I'm used to, maybe what's on my scalp is different?
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I would think it would be bad for the hair....drying. No?

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018