Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncommon lenghts crowd: what made you go for it?

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Default Uncommon lenghts crowd: what made you go for it?

Goes both ways: buzzcuts(on feminine-presenting people) and longer than classic length.

For myself, going beyond classic just came naturally. My family is a bit on the witchy side anyway so super long hair is nothing out of the ordinary, and I was always stimulated to keep mine CL and beyond. My friends also always loved playing with my hair and saw it as one of my defining traits. Other people, though, were usually very unamused.
    I'd always get the "you should donate your hair" and the "it washes you out, get a 'young' haircut", sometimes followed by the polemic "you look like a christian" -- which is meant as if you didn't care for it, bc some christians here don't believe in "superfluous" things like vanity, but believe a woman shouldn't cut her hair.

What I mean is:
    With so many people finding it strange and being awfully annoying about it, why did you choose to go for it?

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./71"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Uncommon lenghts crowd: what made you go for it?

LOL I'm strange, and sometimes awfully annoying, too so why not? I've travelled one extreme to the other
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Hair is fortune in my language, I want more fortune, that’s all.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    Bald/Buzz/TBL

I'm a weird, I'm introverted and pretty shy yet I like either really vibrant hair or super long so I stand out from the crowd being normal isn't my strong suit.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I think for me it started with convenience (easier to let it grow than to learn to trim it better/pay someone to trim it), but has been compounded over time by the fact that people compliment my hair a lot. I don't feel very confident in my body, so keeping the long hair means that there's always some aspect of my appearance that I feel ensured about.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I am a woman and I went once for a very short pixie (2 cm/1 inch) on the top with shaved sides and back (so almost a buzz overall). Why? I wanted to look like Pink, the singer... I liked how it made feel. So light. But I don´t have facial features to pull it off, so I grew it out. There was another reason for that one-time buzz cut - getting rid of henna all at once and also getting rid of past memories (the usual emotional haircut). I read in some article on the internet (some glam magazine) that every one woman should try a buzz cut once in her life - while that is being very generalized, the feeling of the buzz is indeed empowering. Right until the moment when someone confuses you with a man and calls you "sir". And without makeup, that is going to happen.

Right now I am aiming for the other side of the spectrum - as long as it will get. I initially got inspired by instagram long-hair models, but I find real inspiration and good advice here on this forum. I always felt better, more "me" with long hair. At the moment, I am hugely enjoying having long hair that is being made into short and convenient on a daily basis (aka buns all the way).

As for the last question of the OP: I do not give a hoot about what anyone thinks of my hair. I cut it short and I am growing it to terminal for me, not for their opinions.
    Last edited by Nefcerka; July 17th, 2023 at 06:56 AM. Reason: wording: other side of the spectrum

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I shaved it all off because I wanted to see what that was like. It was super fun and looked great! But I missed being able to do things with my hair if I felt like doing something with my hair so I didn't maintain it. Many variations between pixie and MBL/waist later (I'm really not one to maintain a particular hair cut) I decided I was happiest when it was long enough to throw into a basic braid and after stumbling across LHC while looking up how to do something I read about terminal length and wanted to see what that was like. I likey.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I’m no longer at an unusual length but was between mid-thigh and knee a while ago. I will still very likely grow back out there.

For me, it was about having something unusual to myself. My body is nothing special, my face is nothing special, my accomplishments are nothing special, but at least my hair was something special. I didn’t feel comfortable parting with the damaged length until I had established myself as a musician, and even then, it took very much expressing of my “truest self”, dressing very obviously metal etc.

Part of growing very long is also just exploring what my body is capable of.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Super short (around 0,5 cm). I did that becase I had a side cut and decided to get long hair. But before doing that I wanted to try really short, so I cut off the rest to the same length.

Long. Well, I read a manga where one of the characters hade black thigh length hair and I thought that I wanted that. Then of course I wanted even longer before I actually reached it

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I had classic when I was 10 years old. Started growing it age 6. Actually age 5, kept saying I wanted to grow it. Mom kept taking me to the hair dresser. Then when I noticed it wasn't growing, at all, I stomped around in anger and told her when we had to go, "I am not going to the hair dresser anymore." My mom ultimately convinced me to go (bangs) but she allowed me to grow it, seeing where it would take us. Letting her detangle it was her only demand of me. No, also, wearing it up for school (safety when playing, out of the way for reading/writing).

I guess I always loved that hair on me! Some just knew me for the hair.

When we had to go to ski classes grade 6, I had it cut end of grade 5. Pageboy cut. My mom was so sad, she kept the pony in a pretty glass jar! She was so sorry to see it go. But for me? It was time to grow up and be more independent. My mom had always done my hair up to that point, and I realize that's pretty late in life (age 10) for your mother to still do your hair, but man, with that amount of hair? It was a dog-gone chore! I couldn't deal with it. My mom, barely. And the detangling at night was... OMG. My dad often had to step in and say that if I wanted to keep it, I needed to maintain it well and let my mom comb and brush it out.

Memories, I guess, as well.

RIP my classic length. September 2015 - November 2016 & March 2018 - December 2022.

My hair is currently top of bra strap, so between APL & BSL.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)