Page 25 of 238 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Default Re: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    Sad times. I was rather hoping when I saw this that it'd be something I could do in my hair because, much as I love the layers when my hair's down, I'm getting a bit fed up of the fact that I can't wear hairstick buns comfortably. Oh well, I'll just have to hope I get a summer growth spurt
    Try it anyway.. for me oiling made it just worse but yesterday a tiny amount of aloe vera gel seemed to help somewhat (with the ends). By the time I got home it looked bad but it was a long day
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    Try it anyway.. for me oiling made it just worse but yesterday a tiny amount of aloe vera gel seemed to help somewhat (with the ends). By the time I got home it looked bad but it was a long day
    Yeah, I guess I'll try it on damp hair or something and try and make it work.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    ?/?/>?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

wow im amazed that there is a prandi thread.
    And amazed that I am the only punjabi on this board it seems.

But back to the issue at hand, the prandi is normally black for everyday wear - so it matches with the hair color, and colorful for events like weddings.

Commonly the way its done is to separate your hair into three sections, and then add the prandi in the three seperations and start braiding. Then when you get to the end, you may choose to place a matching elastic band so its not noticeable if you choose to leave it down.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jotekb View Post

But back to the issue at hand, the prandi is normally black for everyday wear - so it matches with the hair color, and colorful for events like weddings.

Commonly the way its done is to separate your hair into three sections, and then add the prandi in the three seperations and start braiding. Then when you get to the end, you may choose to place a matching elastic band so its not noticeable if you choose to leave it down.
    Great to see you here- welcome!! - I'm not a Punjabi but am from India. I think there are one or two more Punjabis here. Well, thanks for describing exactly how it is done. I was wondering about it, since it looks bunched on the top. Then do you place the paranda above or below the hair first before braiding? I am going to get 3 parandas from my Punjabi friend in Punjab and am excited about it - probably in 3 different colors. He told me that it normally goes with salwar kameez (clothes).... I am just waiting for the parandas to arrive...

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Question Re: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Quote Originally Posted by jotekb View Post

welcome! you can tell us if we're doing it wrong

this us an awesome thread! i just made it all the way through, and you guys have made some really beautiful ones!!!

i came across this one on ebay, and i think it would be absolutely stunning on someone with gray hair!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Brida...ht_3795wt_2607

i've been looking at this site that someone posted:

http://www.786shop.com/dresses/paranda.asp

but their cheapest shipping is $24 USD and some change appears they have flat rate shipping. as far as ebay and amazon go, I just didnt see any that I loved. It's a shame none of the already made ones would match my haircolor. I guess my only option would be to make my own, but I really dont care for the look of just the yarn hanging from the end of the braid, so I'd like to have some of those gorgeous tassles as well. But they look really hard to make, and I think that by the time I buy all the crafts needed I'd be spending a lot. *sigh*

hey jotekb? what kind of strings are used to make the traditional ones? i see that people here are using yarn, but it looks like some other material for the ones i see online..... and now that you've come out of hiding and joined this thread, i think we may need to pick your brain
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    I tried this and couldn't get it to work in my hair. I used 21 strands of a sock weight cotton yarn that I had left over from another project. My hair's a little above BSL, thick and layered, and I ended up with a lot of hairs poking out. When I tried to bun it it was really lopsided and uncomfortable.

Should I add more yarn to the paranda? Or do I just need to let my hair grow more?
    I have this same problem, but more at my slowly-getting-more-blunt ends than where my layers are. And like PolarCathy (quoted below), oiling makes it worse. The first one I made was 15 doubled strands (making 30 total, so 10 for each braid section), and about twice the length of my ponytail. For the second one I used 21 doubled strands, giving me 14 for each braid section, and I used a thicker yarn and decreased the length a bit. My layers held better, but the massive thickness at the beginning of the braid made it pretty hard to put up. I think I like this as a protective, elastic-free style for deep oilings and sleeping, though. And I want to try fabric of some kind, just to see what happens.

I will have to try the gel trick. Oiling made mine worse, too.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

The last bit of my hair is layered, and I use Kimberlily's defrizz spray before braiding in the parandi I made, and it worked pretty well for me. The recipe is http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=277.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    I have this same problem, but more at my slowly-getting-more-blunt ends than where my layers are. And like PolarCathy (quoted below), oiling makes it worse. The first one I made was 15 doubled strands (making 30 total, so 10 for each braid section), and about twice the length of my ponytail. For the second one I used 21 doubled strands, giving me 14 for each braid section, and I used a thicker yarn and decreased the length a bit. My layers held better, but the massive thickness at the beginning of the braid made it pretty hard to put up. I think I like this as a protective, elastic-free style for deep oilings and sleeping, though. And I want to try fabric of some kind, just to see what happens.
    Maybe I should try more strands, then, as I only had 7 in each section.

I had a thought last night for bunning with this. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it follows on the premise I've used for doing rose buns in the past. Basically you ponytail all your hair and divide it in two. Braid one section, coil it up from the end in a seashell shape, and secure with a stick. Braid the second section with a paranda, wrap it in the opposite direction around the first section, remove the stick and use it to secure the lot. Depending on how slippery your hair is, you might need to tie off the first braid or use some pins or a second stick to secure it all.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ravenheather View Post
    If you do i want to see. I can't wait to do this too.
    I did end up making one, but since I'm growing out a pixie I have layers coupled with the fact that my "front" hair (a couple of inchest past chin) is a lot shorter than my "back" hair (a couple of inches past SL), my braids usually look like hedgehogs. It worked, though, as it were. I even managed to make a bun, but with so many ends sticking out all over the place, I don't think it's worth it.

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/23/Term
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Jing View Post
    I did end up making one, but since I'm growing out a pixie I have layers coupled with the fact that my "front" hair (a couple of inchest past chin) is a lot shorter than my "back" hair (a couple of inches past SL), my braids usually look like hedgehogs. It worked, though, as it were. I even managed to make a bun, but with so many ends sticking out all over the place, I don't think it's worth it.
    May be hedgehog hair is the new trend. Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll try a brown one soon to blend in with my hair.

Going for terminal, but also enjoying wearing my hair down and curly.