Page 24 of 238 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Default Re: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post

Damp or oiled hair helps.

Use a non-slick material for yoru paranda. The cotton yarn I am using seems to help grip the hair. Plus it never fuzzes out like acrylic yarn does. And it seems after a few uses, the paranda itself stops tangling. I am guessing this is from absorbing oil from my hair. Again, I am using 100% cotton yarn.
    Will try that. I used silk scarves. Slippery like hell.

Length
    SL/83cm/long
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by schweedie View Post

I love this purple one!

.. also funny how many swedes we are in this thread!

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Can I be Swedish, too? lol

I love the confetti one!

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    SL/Class/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

You can be an honorary Swede. And thanks! For some reason I can't seem to do a bun that shows off the confetti one properly, but I love the colours.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    Wow it is very very strange to have 1 almost TBL braid weird to feel something on my back (I never had long hair since 7 yo). It's just a beta version to try if I like my scarves (and I know they don't match my clothes but that's what I had on me):

The only problem is that it's way too tight (it hurts) but if I make it looser my ends stick out even more.
    LOVE this! My favorite part is how the black scarf matches your haircolor so well. It makes it look like your braid really IS that long!

I have layers, too, and they stick out terribly. Oiling makes them stick out worse for me. Must be my texture.

Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I tried to do one the other day... making the paranda knot was easier than I thought, but putting it in my hair was another matter - I had to give up since my arms ached so much. I think I need to get someone to help me put it in, since I have a terrible time making one single braid down my back. It makes my arms ache sickeningly to have them over my head/heart for very long, & makes my heart feel gross. Does that happen to anyone else? Even washing your hair can do it? Also I think I used way too long yarn, which made it really hard to work with when I already have such a hard time doing the single braid. I do braid my hair most nights, but I do 2 braids on the sides, so that's easy. Maybe I should practice by trying the paranda in 2 side braids, & use shorter yarn.

How many strands of yarn are people using?

Keep the pictures coming! Loving them.
    I actually turn my parandas into 3 braids, then I braid into my hair. If I don't, I lose track of the yarn. My first few were 9 strands before folding. I prefer them thicker, so I use 27 strands total before folding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    LOVE this! My favorite part is how the black scarf matches your haircolor so well. It makes it look like your braid really IS that long!

I have layers, too, and they stick out terribly. Oiling makes them stick out worse for me. Must be my texture.
    Thanks I love it too. I wore it like that yesterday, just with a hybrid paranda, where I had the black scarf but replaced the other one with black yarns.

No photo though.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I tried this and couldn't get it to work in my hair. I used 21 strands of a sock weight cotton yarn that I had left over from another project. My hair's a little above BSL, thick and layered, and I ended up with a lot of hairs poking out. When I tried to bun it it was really lopsided and uncomfortable.

Should I add more yarn to the paranda? Or do I just need to let my hair grow more?
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    I tried this and couldn't get it to work in my hair. I used 21 strands of a sock weight cotton yarn that I had left over from another project. My hair's a little above BSL, thick and layered, and I ended up with a lot of hairs poking out. When I tried to bun it it was really lopsided and uncomfortable.

Should I add more yarn to the paranda? Or do I just need to let my hair grow more?
    I'm at MBL and I find it too short for parandas. I do it anyway but I think it will look better when longer, esp. those ends (which is why I used scarves in the first place, to wrap the ends in it)
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    I'm at MBL and I find it too short for parandas. I do it anyway but I think it will look better when longer, esp. those ends (which is why I used scarves in the first place, to wrap the ends in it)
    Sad times. I was rather hoping when I saw this that it'd be something I could do in my hair because, much as I love the layers when my hair's down, I'm getting a bit fed up of the fact that I can't wear hairstick buns comfortably. Oh well, I'll just have to hope I get a summer growth spurt
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB