Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough hairdressers?

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Rough hairdressers?

Does anyone else have a problem with hairdressers being too rough with their hair? If I could accept my natural hair colour i wouldn't be having this problem, as it is i just can't let go of my bleach highlights! I love the fact that when i've had it done my hair is a nice colour, but thats where my joy ends!

My hairdresser (and all that i've been to) are just not gentle enough , particularly when washing. She piles all my hair into a big ball and scrubs away (although i have to say she's pretty good at head massages) and then wonders why my hair is all knotted up afterwards. She always says to me 'does your hair always get this knotty?' and everytime i reply that i hardly ever get knots, especially after conditioning in the shower. She then proceeds to vigorously tugging a brush through and i can't help but cringe at all the breakage which must be occuring. I don't let her dry it, i leave it wet and go straight home and put a deep conditioning/oil treatment on for a few hours.

Everytime i tell myself 'don't stress out - it's a reletively rare occurance' but i can't help it.

Does anyone else have this trouble? and has anyone found a way to try and get their hairdresser to be more gentle without insulting them?!

[Also, bit of an extra question - i use coconut oil on my lengths but have read about how it reduces damage from bleaching if applied beforehand - does anyone know how much is best to apply?]

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Default Re: Rough hairdressers?

The only problem I have with hairdressers is that they start combing the hair at the roots >.< plus they always hit my ears with the combs/brushes.

Length
    CL/~BSL/BSL+?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

My hairdresser is usually pretty gentle with my hair. He always uses an awesome conditioner and never runs a brush through it like that. You might just have bad luck with them.
    If you don't already, you might try going to a "fancy" salon. All the "fancy" salons I've gone to have awesome hairdressers that are usually pretty gentle with my hair.
    Sloooowly growing to BSL+

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I'd change hairdressers, honestly. I will probably be cutting my own hair now, because of all the bad experiences I've had. Hairdressers do not change, or at least not easily.

You put enough coconut oil on so that where you are bleaching is fully covered. Depends how thick your hair is as well.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    15/47/50?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I used to have that problem all the time with hairdressers.
    I never really cared though, since I wasnt trying to grow it long.

If I experienced that these days, I would definitely say something about it.
    If you are worried about the way she washes and combs/brushes it, say something. If she is any kind of decent person who wants to keep a customer... She will listen.
    If she doesnt listen, well then I personally wouldnt feel bad about leaving her for someone nicer.

Thats just me though. If someone is serving me and I am paying them to do so... Im the boss. I am not afraid to tell people what I want/need in those situations.
    I obviously do it nicely, because that is just the right thing to do... But I dont mind sticking up for the health of myself/my hair!

Type
    3a/M/ii

Maybe you could try saying something like 'I don't usually have any problems when I detangle with my wide-toothed comb' or something like that to suggest she use one rather than a brush. Or maybe suggest she let you detangle it yourself?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnysaur View Post
    My hairdresser is usually pretty gentle with my hair. He always uses an awesome conditioner and never runs a brush through it like that. You might just have bad luck with them.
    If you don't already, you might try going to a "fancy" salon. All the "fancy" salons I've gone to have awesome hairdressers that are usually pretty gentle with my hair.
    Fancy salons aren't always careful or gentle. I had my last bad experience at a very huh end salon- $150 for a haircut! NUTS!!! And they were NOT gentle with my hair, and insisted on straightening, even after I asked them not to- and they kept putting the straighter way too close to my scalp, burning me! Same went for when they blow-dried my hair- got way too close to my scalp, and even after my repeated complaints, kept doing it!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    14/15/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I've had to tell my hairdressers that I have a more sensitive scalp then most people, hoping they may take that as a hint to be careful. Mostly what pains me is the hairdryer and letting it get too close for my scalp. Going to the hairdresser now won't be such a regular occurance, but I like the idea of telling them NOT to dry the hair & then go home & condition/dry yourself.

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Oh, my - yes!

The one thing I really don't like is when the hair-washer SCRAPES her nails across my scalp and rubs my hair together to make it lather.

There is just no need for that!

I am pretty scared of hair salons now, even if I speak to them prior & tell them how fragile my hair is.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    3/28/30+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

keep looking around at other salons or just stop going.

once i asked a lady for a LAYERED TRIM and she just cut the very bottom layer of my hair. once side was 1/2 inch longer than the other. when I tried to inquiry into what she was doing, she told me "i have XXXXXXX years experience". essentially, "stfu".

the last time I was at a hairdressers, she used a round plastic bristle brush to smooth down my hair while blowdrying. it hurt so much T_T my hair is usually dry, so the velcro hair didnt help. I did ask her to be careful though and that it hurt. she calmed down a bit after that.

the best luck I've had with hairdressers, is when you are getting a completely new style. this basically gives them a "blank canvas" to work on, rather than touching up someone elses work. so I would suggest, in between stylings - learn to trim your own hair for basic upkeep.