Thread: Bleached hair and henna.

Length
    7/10/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Bleached hair and henna.

Let me start by saying a little over a year ago I had beautiful waist length copper penny red coloured hair. In November of 2010 I had to undergo chemo and lost my most of hair and had to chop it all off in January of 2011 (it took a while for the hair loss to become noticeable and I took to wearing wigs but they were itchy and just plain uncomfortable.) After my hair started to grow back I became bored with it and dyed it black (May of 2011) in February I bleach out the black and went to platinum blonde which was the worst mistake of my life! My hair however is now just below chin length and I have started hennaing to repair the damage and get back to my lovely copper locks. I have done two full head treatments left on for about 4 hours a piece (my bleached hair just soaks up the henna). The treatments have left my hair feeling and looking amazing but.... a little on the orange side (I am on my 4th day after the second henna treatment and I am not sure how long it is going to take to oxidize, I know that some say it takes up to 10 days or more). Any advice for toning down the orange would be fabulous! I plan to keep hennaing my hair as well as growing it back out to waist length and I am planning to stay all natural as well, I have read many helpful henna-related posts in this forum and I am hoping I can get some sound advice!

Default Re: Bleached hair and henna.

I darted henna on very light hair too and it went way too orangey the first 2 times. Then I went to the Indian store near my home and the lady who had sold me the henna there advised me to use amla inside my henna to tone down the orange and this worked for me from the very first time. So get your hands on some Amla powder and add 2 tea spoons to your next henna, or you can also do a straight Amla treatment. Mix the powder with some tea leave it for a few hours 3 max , then add a bit of coconut oil to it or any oil of your choice to keep it moist, apply to hair and leave it for one hour. Rinse or shampoo , as you wish. It will tone down the red a bit, but adding it to henna worked better for me. You can also mix henna with hybiscus tea to make it more red. Hope this is helpful. Good luck

Length
    7/10/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I was considering amla, but I have heard some mixed reviews. I guess it can't hurt to give it a try, I can always wait for it to fade and re-henna using a very small amount of indigo.

Length
    7/10/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I am also going to try paprika to pump up the red after my hair is 100% oxidized.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PegLeg View Post
    I am also going to try paprika to pump up the red after my hair is 100% oxidized.
    First kudos to you for going through chemo and fight your battle. I hope you are better now...

I was going to suggest a little Amla or a little indigo in the henna. If your natural hair color is red/copper, it will be somewhat "easier" to obtain something close to that with Henna, but if your color is either much lighter or darker, you might have a hard time blending in the 2 under henna when your "roots" start to grow.

you could always do an amla gloss to tone down the orangy in your hair...
    Which henna do you use? I know the Red Raj produces a redder color than others.

Length
    7/10/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Thank you! Yes I have made a full recovery. Life is good!

I used Yemeni Henna. I think I will continue to do so, but it is very orange on the bleached hair, the amla gloss worked wonders. I am concerned about what I am going to do when my roots start to show as my hair can appear a very dark auburn at the root. I am trying to find some recipes for obtaining this shade, I am afraid however, that the henna saturation may become too dark as my hair was very "spongy" and thus more porous to start out with. I have, however, been able to get a nice brilliant darkish (?) copper color after the amla gloss. At the moment I am very happy with the color I have, that is until I root out! My hair grows very quickly so I think I am going to have to face this problem in a few weeks. The recipe search is on!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PegLeg View Post
    Thank you! Yes I have made a full recovery. Life is good!

I used Yemeni Henna. I think I will continue to do so, but it is very orange on the bleached hair, the amla gloss worked wonders. I am concerned about what I am going to do when my roots start to show as my hair can appear a very dark auburn at the root. I am trying to find some recipes for obtaining this shade, I am afraid however, that the henna saturation may become too dark as my hair was very "spongy" and thus more porous to start out with. I have, however, been able to get a nice brilliant darkish (?) copper color after the amla gloss. At the moment I am very happy with the color I have, that is until I root out! My hair grows very quickly so I think I am going to have to face this problem in a few weeks. The recipe search is on!
    What is your natural color? That might help in determining correct steps. See, I am medium brown with LOADS of gray/whites coming in, so before i hennaed this time, I colored my hair with a shade that was a little lighter (maybe 1 level) than my natural color, thenI hennaed. The roots are coming in now, and I am doing all head applications (I am for a burgundy shade or dark wine color), so everything is blending it just fine. Last year, i had bleached blonde hair and then I hennad. The color on my bleached parts was super intense and oh so beautiful, but when my roots started to come in, I was NEVER able to blend them in correctly with the rest of my hair. so I chopped everything and started over... What i should have done was to color my hair first a shade closer to my natural hair color and then henna. live and learn right??