Thread: Herbal Vinegar Infusions

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Question Herbal Vinegar Infusions

I love, love, LOVE acv rinses in my hair and I'd like to experiment with herbal acv infusions. My plan is to infuse raw (with the "mother") acv with some herbs to use in my acv rinses. I'd like to use the entire jar of acv and just have a stock of it because I really won't be able to make small batches every time I want to wash my hair (which is every other day). Does anyone know what the shelf life would be for these herbal infusions? I'd think it would be quite awhile since it is vinegar, but I don't know how the herbs would affect that.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Herbal Vinegar Infusions

http://redfernfarms.com/making-herb-infused-vinegars/

The author of this article says it's from 6 months to several years, but she tries to use her infusion within a year.

(I have no personal knowledge and have not read other articles/opinion about the shelf life expectations.)

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    9/13/30
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Im currently trying this as well, but my vinegar isnt ready yet so I cant tell you how well it works. I used unfiltered vinegar and dried sage and thyme and put everything in jar in about the same way the red farms article describes. Ive been shaking it up every couple days and its definitely getting darker but Im gonna give it another week before I try using it in a hair rinse.

I think the shelf life would be similar to the vinegar itself, maybe a little less. Just be sure to use clean containers and tools so you dont introduce anything mold producing into the mix and you should be fine. Good luck!

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Dunno about shelf life, but to be on the safe side when I did this I kept it in the fridge.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    http://redfernfarms.com/making-herb-infused-vinegars/

The author of this article says it's from 6 months to several years, but she tries to use her infusion within a year.

(I have no personal knowledge and have not read other articles/opinion about the shelf life expectations.)
    Great article, thank you!!

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Does anyone have any recommendations for herbs to use in the infusion? I'm thinking maybe horsetail and also marshmallow root, but I'm not sure what else. I want it to have detangling and conditioning properties.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Catnip might contribute to those, and it smells nice.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    APL/TBL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Bumping this old thread to see if other people have tried this. I tried infusing some rosemary into my ACV for my rinses, but I didn't really notice a difference -- although I didn't put that much rosemary in, so I wonder if it was just too weak. I see rosemary rinses recommended for dark hair and so infusing it into the vinegar seemed like an easy way to get those benefits.

Vinegar is a really good preservative, so I wouldn't be too worried about it's shelf life, especially if you remove the herbs after they've infused.

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Not infusion, but I add tea tree oil, lavender, and rosemary EOs to my vinegar rinse and they help a lot with dandruff I sometimes get. Okay, so maybe the lavender doesn't help with it, but it smells pretty.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm