View Poll Results: Did oil shampooing (ktani's movie star method) work for you?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • It worked in the beginning, but did not in the long run

14 21.54%
  • It didn't work in the beginning, but worked in the long run

1 1.54%
  • It worked in the beginning & long run

5 7.69%
  • It didn't work, period

4 6.15%
  • I saw no difference

1 1.54%
  • I never tried it

34 52.31%
  • forget about oil shampooing, I just want cheese!

9 13.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did oil shampoos work for you in the long run?

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Did oil shampoos work for you in the long run?

It wasn't bad to start with, my hair kind of did the Edwardian wavy-ish fluff thing quite nicely, but it was a long way from sleek and definitely not manageable. Good shine and softness, but the cloud effect was so impractical and tangle-prone. And of course, keeping the barrier coatings at bay, I was lacking in slip so detangling was more difficult than it needs to be.

Long-term, it was game over as soon as I reached saturation. I noticed my ends suffered too, lots of splits, I had to trim afterwards; I just don't think my hair likes shampoo that much, especially not SLS shampoo. My scalp hated the whole affair; itchy from start to finish. (I have psoriasis on my scalp, so I'm used to a certain amount of itch that just doesn't go away, but that was off the scale.)

I have more luck with coconut-oil-heavy conditioners, than shampoo. Shampoil is definitely not something I would ever try again, or recommend.

Length
    chin/MBL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aquadreamer View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know that you had to reply to be able to view results.
    You don't have to vote, on the opposite side to the vote button there is a 'view results' link so you can see what people think even if you can't vote.

Lady Egleriel, Wanderer of Hallowed Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

It worked gorgeously for one wash, but the second and third washes were far too oily, and lowering the amount didn't work out so hot. I think I probably reached saturation immediately, and it made measuring the amount of coconut oil for the next wash too unpredictable. That was honestly the biggest problem. The next wash could be either too much coconut oil, or too little, and I don't like that much guesswork in my hair routine.

I didn't participate in this trial, but I have used Coconut Oil tons since I found LHC! Since I heard about shampoo/oil here, I tried to find some recipes. Online I found one that was 1 part CO, to 1 part Dr. Bronner's. It seemed like way too much soap for me, and I couldn't come up with a better ratio.

But I bathe my hair in CO, mix it with everything or just use a tiny dab on ends. In the beginning, my hair was horribly damaged (that's all been grown out and cut off); now it's all natural, but still likes CO.

I did No-poo and really liked it for a longer time than Shampoil, but quit because it seemed too striping.

I adore SMT, and used it regularly but I never had aloe gel, so my recipe was: Cheap conditioner+honey+coconut oil.

Wishing there were more recent news on the shampoil idea, though.

No Sulfates, no added protein, no cones, no color, no heat, stretching washes, just trying to get my ends below my shoulders!!