Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question on S&D

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: A question on S&D

I have noticed that S&D can in and of itself be damaging. One day I was sitting on hold with a telephone call, and I started to pull up a strand of hair so that I could see it for a bit of S&D. It was pretty much stuck to neighboring strands, and as I pulled, I saw the ends of a hair pull apart. Of course, maybe it was already split, but it looked like it tore apart because I was pulling in opposite directions.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I think I might have done more damage to my hair with S&Ding just because it's seriously impossible for me to cut the hair at the exact perfect angle. My hair is wavy, so it always wants to curl away from me. Plus I can't seem to separate the damaged strand from the rest of the hair that I'm holding without dropping it in the process. So I just try to cut it as carefully as I can while I'm holding it with the rest of my hair and I always end up with a weirdly angled cut and that (I think) will lead to another split. But at the same time, if I see a split I can't help but not cut it!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Splits are a pain to get rid of they seem to multiply. I s&d once a month. I try to get the big ones.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Look the best answer I can give you is that it seems to be the colouring damage that is just continuously showing itself, you could try stopping but I think it would just double the amount though of course I am not sure of it.

I'm sorry that you feel this way though...

I wonder, how do you S&D so thoroughly? I take a small chunk and it takes forever to just get through that section and that's only looking at the very ends (my eyes get dry from not blinking ), I can't imagine ever finding/spotting a split further up!

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Well, guys, I ended up having a 1.5 inch trim and guess what. The number of splits is again no less. Some of my hair had spits higher up but not THAT many. I really wonder if the existing splits, if they don't travel up, don't somehow protect the damaged hair higher up from splitting. I know it is not logical at all. But if my scissors are sharp (mom did it for me and she knows how to) and I am doing everything right, I just can't understand why it would otherwise split right away at the height where it was not split before. I think I might lay off S&D for a while and just do trims. The S&D was part of the reason I had to trim anyway becuase my ends got so thin. I might just let them thin by "natural" breakage alone and trim again.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

It could also be that you feel like you are getting more, but you're really just seeing ones that you didn't see the first time. There could be hundreds of splits hidden by hundreds more strands of hair, and you won't get them all in one session. Now that you're paying attention to it, the problem seems bigger than before when you weren't paying attention. I doubt that trimming the splits is giving you more splits.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    ....Lady Sha'abi of the Thousand Golden Coins in the Order of the Long Haired Knights...

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

maybe its just something your hair is particularly prone to naturally. My hair has been damaged by bleach, heat damage and general handling abuse yet i rarely get split ends. I do get some white spots near the ends which i s&d but nothing like the amount i would have expected at this level of damage. I like fairytale hemlines so s&d is more appealing to me than a trim

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    maybe its just something your hair is particularly prone to naturally. My hair has been damaged by bleach, heat damage and general handling abuse yet i rarely get split ends. I do get some white spots near the ends which i s&d but nothing like the amount i would have expected at this level of damage. I like fairytale hemlines so s&d is more appealing to me than a trim
    My hair is not generally split prone. Although it is fine and it was bleached, it did not start splitting till well on the way to APL...I know damage is the main culprit but with all the logic I can gather, trims should make them less at least for a while...don't know...it just seems S&D is not helping so I will stop doing it for a while to see if my splits get even worse without it.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

It takes a long time to see a decrease in splits. I did it everyday for about a month until I stopped finding as many.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length