Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making my own homemade coconut oil :)

Length
    7"/7"/25"
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Making my own homemade coconut oil :)

I watched my mother make coconut oil at home when I was growing up in London in the 1960s and 70s and we could not buy coconut oil here in the U.K.

Basically, she grated coconut flesh into a pot and then mashed it with the flat-end of a rolling pin, added plenty of water and put it on the stove to boil and then reduced the heat and left it on there for about an hour. After that she let the pot cool, put a lid on it and stuck it in the garden for a few days to ferment. Then she scooped off the oily mixture that had collected at the top of the pan and threw away the water at the bottom. Put it through a muslin cloth and voila.

I have never tried this myself but remember the procedure and our cat and the dogs next door going crazy for the discarded coconut solids that Mum left on a saucer outside the back door, LOL.

We used the coconut oil for pre-wash hair oiling and Mum still does the same to this day, although she washes her hair with Pantene.

Length
    11/18.11/40 :)
    Type
    1c/M/C/i/ii

This sounds very interesting. I'd like to try it . I am using pure unrefined coconut oil, heat processed one can't be bad for hair.. I'm not going to eat it .
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WAIST? No trims in 2012
    ~ ...Lady Gwedhiel of the Castle Keep, Mistress of Mischief, in the order of the Long Haired Knights... ~

Length
    5mm/MBL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I tried this about a month ago, but I tried to make raw coconut oil (no heat). I don't have a blender either, like they use in some of the videos, so in the end I ended up with some really lovely coconut flakes instead of the oil, because the oil remained in the coconut. Oh well! I hope you have better luck!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ... My story begins HERE!

Length
    CL/CL/CSL
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I think I was successful in making coconut oil. I used 2 coconuts and follwed the same method as the youtube videos in my OP.

It was hard work! The chopping and grating took forever. I will most likely buy my coconut oil in Holland and Barret. It's was way too work making my own.

I'd rather have loads of coconut oil than arm ache.

However it was a fun experiment

It smelled really good I ended up using it on my arms they were very dry and now are nice and smooth

Here's a picture of my coconut oil

Lady Tykhe of the Misty Fat
    es
    CL,APL,BSL,WAIST,HIP,TBL, CLASSIC

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

That's so cool, I'm glad it worked out. It's just too bad you need a lot of coconuts to get a reasonable amount of oil.
    I eat a lot and go through a big tub in a few months.
    But this would be a cool project if I'm bored one day

Length
    APL/APL/WL

i have tried making coconut oil from dried shreded coconut and it turned out great and i love the quality of the oil i produced better than i buy but it is time consuming , but i still making my coconut milk for my weekly hair soak