Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ph Balanced Shampoo List

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Default Ph Balanced Shampoo List

Im no expert obviously and i'm sorry if there is a thread on this already, but we should use a shampoo that is ph balanced. 1. To prevent from drying your hair out 2. to cleanse the scalp properly. Here is a video explaining why no-poo may not be the best idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n6FSeC34c

Here is a list of ph balanced shampoos:
    •Avalon Organic Thickening B Complex Shampoo
    •Now Foods Berry Full Shampoo
    •Dial Body and Hair Shampoo
    •Little Twig Tangerine Shampoo
    •Mill Creek Organic Keratin Shampoo
    •Mill Creek Jojoba Shampoo
    •Beauty Without Cruelty Volume Plus Shampoo
    •Mill Creek Henna Shampoo
    •Kiss My Face Scentless Self Foaming Shampoo
    •Alfaparf Semi Di Lino Illuminating Shampoo
    •Shikai Everyday Shampoo
    •Nature's Gate Tea Tree Calming Shampoo
    •California North Sea Blast Shampoo
    •Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo
    •Sauve Performance Series Shampoo
    •No Rinse Shampoo
    I got this list from:http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ph-balanced-shampoo.html
    Lady Daoine, Mythweaver of the Unseelie Court in the Order of the Long Haired Kights!

Length
    16/23/26
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Ph Balanced Shampoo List

Great information, thanks! When I tried CO it gave me scalp issues when I had never had a problem before.

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

What is considered "pH balanced"? 7-neutral or an acidic range closer to your scalp's natural pH (4.5-5.5)?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

ETA:6 Great video! I agree with the trichologist in that conditioning shampoos do cause build-up. That is why clarifying with a clarifier without build-up causing ingredients is best, in my opinion. Conditioning shampoos are best used as alternate shampoos, again, in my opinion. When one of my friends a while back started to get ETA:8 excessive build-up - from conditioning shampoos, I suggested switching to a shampoo for normal hair, to wash out some of it gradually, and conditioner for normal hair too, and it helped. Clarifying is faster and more complete.

ETA:7 Conditioner only washing has caused problems for some but not all, as per reports. The latter may be down to how often one clarifies. All conditioners cause build-up.

The average skin pH, according to this, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18489300, is about 4.7.

However, there is a variation among inviduals. The range I was given when checking with cosmetic companies is on average 5.5-6.5 for pH values of a line, or still acidic.

ETA:5 More on pH and bacteria, recommending a pH of about 5.5, http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...name=94670.pdf

Most shampoos and all conditioners these days are acidic, including baby shampoos. Neutral pH shampoos usually indicate that on the label.

ETA:3. The exceptions would be soap based shampoos and soap based shampoo bars. All true soaps are alkaline with a pH range of about 9 -10. That is why vinegar rinses are ususally recommended after using them, as acidic rinses, like vinegar, citric acid and lemon juice are more acidic than the average conditioner.

Some shampoos for coloured hair have pH values in the lower range, closer to pH 4, to compensate for raised or roughened cuticles, due to chemical processing.

Well diluted lemon juice or vinegar rinses are often helpful too, for hard water issues. ETA:4 Club soda, with a buffered pH of about 5 can also be used for hard water, to help remove mineral deposits, used undiluted and straight from the bottle or can, without the need of using it flat.

ETA: Human newborn skin has a near neutral pH, http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...rtikelNr=66140.

ETA:2 Baby shampoo pH for Johnson's, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=631

It is good to have all of this in one place. I have posted this before in different threads.
    Last edited by ktani; March 21st, 2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: ETA and ETA:2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 and spelling

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    ETA:6 Great video! I agree with the trichologist in that conditioning shampoos do cause build-up. That is why clarifying with a clarifier without build-up causing ingredients is best, in my opinion. Conditioning shampoos are best used as alternate shampoos, again, in my opinion. When one of my friends a while back started to get ETA:8 excessive build-up - from conditioning shampoos, I suggested switching to a shampoo for normal hair, to wash out some of it gradually, and conditioner for normal hair too, and it helped. Clarifying is faster and more complete.

ETA:7 Conditioner only washing has caused problems for some but not all, as per reports. The latter may be down to how often one clarifies. All conditioners cause build-up.

The average skin pH, according to this, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18489300, is about 4.7.

However, there is a variation among inviduals. The range I was given when checking with cosmetic companies is on average 5.5-6.5 for pH values of a line, or still acidic.

ETA:5 More on pH and bacteria, recommending a pH of about 5.5, http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...name=94670.pdf

Most shampoos and all conditioners these days are acidic, including baby shampoos. Neutral pH shampoos usually indicate that on the label.

ETA:3. The exceptions would be soap based shampoos and soap based shampoo bars. All true soaps are alkaline with a pH range of about 9 -10. That is why vinegar rinses are ususally recommended after using them, as acidic rinses, like vinegar, citric acid and lemon juice are more acidic than the average conditioner.

Some shampoos for coloured hair have pH values in the lower range, closer to pH 4, to compensate for raised or roughened cuticles, due to chemical processing.

Well diluted lemon juice or vinegar rinses are often helpful too, for hard water issues. ETA:4 Club soda, with a buffered pH of about 5 can also be used for hard water, to help remove mineral deposits, used undiluted and straight from the bottle or can, without the need of using it flat.

ETA: Human newborn skin has a near neutral pH, http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...rtikelNr=66140.

ETA:2 Baby shampoo pH for Johnson's, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=631

It is good to have all of this in one place. I have posted this before in different threads.
    i am sorry Ktani i didnt know you had started one before. I just came across that video and it got me really thiinking about if we are doing more harm than helping. All of you information is really great! I want to learn as much about this as i possibly can!
    Lady Daoine, Mythweaver of the Unseelie Court in the Order of the Long Haired Kights!

Quote Originally Posted by jennescence View Post
    i am sorry Ktani i didnt know you had started one before. I just came across that video and it got me really thiinking about if we are doing more harm than helping. All of you information is really great! I want to learn as much about this as i possibly can!
    That is just it. I did not start a thread. This thread is perfect for the information to be in one place. I have posted the information before, in bits and pieces in different threads, at different times. This thread is a great idea.

ETA: And even if I had started such a thread, there are multiple threads on similar or the same topics, like henna for example. No big deal if I had done so.
    Last edited by ktani; March 21st, 2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    Waist/Chin/Neck
    Type
    2a/M/ii

What's the benefit of using a pH balanced shampoo and conditioner, if the tap water you're using is neutral or slightly alkaline? Even if you were using distilled water, the pH is 7? Would the tap water just raise the cuticles again when you rinse the shampoo and conditioner out?

I was just wondering, because here the pH of tap water is 8.2 - 8.5. I'm using a pH balanced shampoo, and I'm using a citric acid rinse as the last rinse to counteract the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Siiri View Post
    What's the benefit of using a pH balanced shampoo and conditioner, if the tap water you're using is neutral or slightly alkaline? Even if you were using distilled water, the pH is 7? Would the tap water just raise the cuticles again when you rinse the shampoo and conditioner out?

I was just wondering, because here the pH of tap water is 8.2 - 8.5. I'm using a pH balanced shampoo, and I'm using a citric acid rinse as the last rinse to counteract the water.
    The way it was explained to me long years ago now, ETA: by a Redken representative - was that the concentration of the products with a lower pH, compensates for the pH of the water or chemical processing alkaline product.

It would seem to be borne out by people with alkaline water, who use acidic rinses and pH "balanced" products, getting better results, and an acidic rinse done following a pH 8 baking soda wash, ETA:2 resulting in no to - fewer tangles.

The term "acid balanced" has become meaningless. It is used to describe an acidic pH range that varies with the cosmetic company but denotes acidic.
    Last edited by ktani; March 21st, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: ETA and ETA:2 and punctuation

Length
    14"/-/-
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Aveda Scalp Benefits is, I believe.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

SO thankful for this thread. I had never thought of this before. So I got some of the Now Berry Full shampoo (got the conditioner too) and I love it. It has only been two shampoos so far, but my scalp seems much happier. I also shed less than usual with both washes I've done with this. Might just be a coincidence, we'll see. I also switched my face wash from a soap bar to a pH 5.5 wash. I washed my face that first night with it and in the morning, my rosacea was much better. It almost looked like I had light layer of foundation on. Clearly, my skin prefers this! So thanks so much, jennescence, for making this thread!
    What you find irresistable is what you choose not to resist.