Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My hair looks terrible after colour stripping + dyeing gone wrong.. Please help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My hair looks terrible after colour stripping + dyeing gone wrong.. Please help!

Hi all,

I made a big mistake yesterday. Let me give you a little of my hair dyeing history.

November: Chemically dyed my hair red (previously chemically brown)
    This faded to a disgusting shade of brown-orange after 2 weeks. I desperately wanted red hair that would STAY red, so..

January: Hennaed my hair twice (left on for 8 hours both times)
    I achieved a orange-red-burgundy shade, depending on the lighting. It wasn't RED enough, so..

February: Manic Panic with Vampire Red (5 hours)
    This made my hair go too purpley, and it faded out after 3 weeks, so..

March: Special Effects with half Blood Red, half Nuclear Red (3 hours)
    I was expecting a truer red since I mixed a warm red with a cool red, but unfortunately, it turned my hair VERY purple-y red.

By this time, I was sick of red hair, especially purpley-red hair, so I decided that.. I wanted to go back to having brown hair with caramel highlights.

I went to the hairdresser, and told her my dyeing "history" as above. She took a look at my hair, and exclaimed that there was "way too much red" in it- even though the MP and SFX were semi-permanent, they still were IN my hair, not just outside it. And the fact that I'd henna'd my hair certainly didn't help.

She told me that there was no way I would be able to get a brown-brown- the best she could do was a warm brown that would still have tints of red in it. That was fine by me, as I look good in warmer shades of brown.

She said that she would strip as much of the red from my hair as possible in order to be able to achieve brown, rather than just.. Slightly brown red. (Does that make sense?)

So she put on a chemical wash, which is something like a weaker version of bleach, and every now and then, she'd come by to check on my hair, then cluck in dismay and tell me how much red there was in my hair, and how it wasn't coming out. She applied to the length first, as she said that the most red was in the length- only towards the end did she apply it to the top of my head and roots.

After TWO HOURS of leaving the chemical wash in my hair (she told me any longer and my hair would be in bad condition), she washed it out..

My roots were an albino pale orange, and right below the roots, it was a strong reddish orange. The length was a faintly-reddish orange. I hope that made sense. So it was sort of like this (imagine this is my hair length):

Albino orange
    Strong red orange
    Strong red orange
    Pale red orange
    Pale red orange
    Pale red orange
    Pale red orange
    Pale red orange

She then applied the brown dye, and washed it out etc..

I just looked at my hair under the sunlight/bright lights, and got a shock when I saw how UNEVEN my hair colour was!

While the length is a COOL brown, the very roots are a pale orange, and right below my roots, it was a muddy, but obvious red. So the length CLASHES with the top since it's cool below and warm on top- not to mention the terrible unevenness in colour!! Something like this:

Orange
    Reddish brown
    Reddish brown
    Cool brown
    Cool brown
    Cool brown
    Cool brown
    Cool brown

I am SO unhappy- I just wanted a uniform shade of brown, and now it looks like I had an incredibly bad DIY dye job! Not to mention the fact that I paid over $180!!!!!!

I called her today, and she told me that it was expected that the chemical wash would leave my hair uneven, and it could only be corrected after completely dyeing my hair several more times.

What should I do?!?!??! It looks TERRIBLE!! I would rather have kept my eggplant-coloured hair than this!!!

Should I just re-dye my hair? How soon can I do it??
    I was thinking of dyeing over my entire head with a warm brown. Would this be a good idea? Could I redye my hair TOMORROW? I know it's going to dry my hair out like crazy, but I'm planning on doing hair treatments EVERYDAY after that. Would this work?

And would it still be possible to get highlights done?
    The hairdresser basically told me that my hair cannot be lightened past red, so any highlights I get won't show up- but what if the highlights were a lighter shade of warm brown? I hate having one-dimensional hair colour, which is the reason I wanted to dye it back to brown in the first place..

I'm so sorry for the long post and so many questions, but I desperately need help.. Advice please?!?!?

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: My hair looks terrible after colour stripping + dyeing gone wrong.. Please help!

I would try a moisture treatment or an SMT? I would NOT dye it for a while and baby your hair, it has been through alot, good luck!
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Unexpected Combination PinkyCat's Avatar
    Under the bed, waiting for dangling ankles...
    Length
    Black/Numbr/One
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Default Re: My hair looks terrible after colour stripping + dyeing gone wrong.. Please help!

Oh my word. I'm sorry that happened to you.
    What condition is your hair in now? Will it actually stand another color treatment?

Lady Roseus
    of the
    Cherry Blossom Hallow in the Order of the Long Haired Knights. >x<)))> veni vidi crepi.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Yes - please - do some deep treatments (both protein and moisture) and try to live with the color as best you can for awhile. Your hair needs to recover. If anything, use a temporary or semi-permanent color to try to even things out, but I'd still wait at least a week before doing that.

Pinkycat: Actually to be honest my hair doesn't feel like it's in TERRIBLE condition- I'd say from 1 to 10, 1 being so damaged it's breaking to pieces and 10 being super awesome, healthy condition, I'd give it a 5.

Sarelis: It's really hard to find semi-permanent colours here in Singapore- I purchased my SFX and Manic Panic online.

Novemberfoxtrot and Sarelis: I really don't want to go down the path of indigo or henna, as I really regret doing henna after finding out JUST how permanent it is, that even after stripping my hair of colour, the red still remains.. So I don't want anything *that* permanent every again

Thanks all for the suggestions of treatments for my hair- I'm doing that right now, but the colour.. It looks so bad that when I look into the mirror I want to cry

My hair is one of my best features, so having that ruined is just really, really upsetting.. Argh!

Length
    Waist/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Ok, first, take a deep breath & calm down. I have had similar multi coloured clashing hair from dying & stripping,I know it's awful at the time but try not to panic. Can you get hold of a non-permanent brown slightly darker than you wanted? You could put that over the lot to try to blend it, which is what I did. That would at least stop you freaking out every time you look in the mirror until you find a more permanent course of action, or you could try something along the lines of indigo & amla? I'm sure someone will be along with some more suggestions soon xx

Oh dear. I'm worried for you to do any more chemical treatments! Isn't there a brown shade of henna? I'm not a henna expert, it probably has a different name.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hiighpriestess View Post
    What should I do?!?!??! It looks TERRIBLE!! I would rather have kept my eggplant-coloured hair than this!!!

Should I just re-dye my hair? How soon can I do it??
    I was thinking of dyeing over my entire head with a warm brown. Would this be a good idea? Could I redye my hair TOMORROW? I know it's going to dry my hair out like crazy, but I'm planning on doing hair treatments EVERYDAY after that. Would this work?

And would it still be possible to get highlights done?
    The hairdresser basically told me that my hair cannot be lightened past red, so any highlights I get won't show up- but what if the highlights were a lighter shade of warm brown? I hate having one-dimensional hair colour, which is the reason I wanted to dye it back to brown in the first place..

I'm so sorry for the long post and so many questions, but I desperately need help.. Advice please?!?!?
    I agree with the others. Calm down, please and give your hair a (welcome) break. It's not going to get better if you dye it *right* *now*. The hairdresser, I think, did the best she could under the circumstances (honestly, how much had you dyed your hair already?) - so give your hair a break from it all. Try and live with the color for a while, then maybe go back to the hairdresser and let her fix it for you. Just don't mess with it some more in the meantime.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

And just in case you guys don't know, all the dyeing prior to this one (the henna, SFX, and Manic Panic) were herbal/vegetable dyes, so while it seems like I went crazy dyeing my hair every few weeks, they in fact made my hair healthier.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hiighpriestess View Post
    And just in case you guys don't know, all the dyeing prior to this one (the henna, SFX, and Manic Panic) were herbal/vegetable dyes, so while it seems like I went crazy dyeing my hair every few weeks, they in fact made my hair healthier.
    Yeah but still... Veggie dyes or not.... You're stuck with what is a disaster to you, so it didn't make matters any easier. Also, however healthy, henna is really hard to remove from the hair.

Please stop dyeing for a while and take really good care of your hair.
    Last edited by lapushka; March 20th, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)