Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Freezing henna paste = Instant(ish) dye release?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Freezing henna paste = Instant(ish) dye release?

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    Does the dye result stay same all the time?
    It's the best after two or so days and up to a week. Then it looses in effect slightly, but not massive. But I've also found some differences in how many times I open it and room temperature. But I have to do proper testing to really say exactly how potent it is during what time.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I dye my nails with henna. As long as it's kept in a tight container I can use it for more than a week without any problem. I've once used it after 15 days.

I do add vinegar, sugar and essential oils to the nail blend. But no vinegar or sugar to the hair blend.

I've been meaning to try and see if there's a difference between the blend that I use for my nails and hair. Probably the next time I touch up my roots. I'll keep both stored the same way and do skin a skin test every other day or so, to see how they stain and for how long.
    Speaking of which, I also froze my henna nail dye and reapplied it after two weeks, still worked very well, the stain lasted a long long time, I first did it in February 2nd and then 15th, I never did it again, and now in September, the very tip of my toe nails still had the orange evidence of that henna stain, OMG that’s over half a year!

Last edited by tuanyiji; September 3rd, 2023 at 07:44 AM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Speaking of which, I also froze my henna nail dye and reapplied it after two weeks, still worked very well, the stain lasted a long long time, I first did it in February 2nd and then 15th, I never did it again, and now in September, the very tip of my toe nails still had the orange evidence of that henna stain, OMG that’s over half a year!
    I've stored henna for my hair in my freezer somewhere between 3-6 months without it loosing any effect.

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    It's the best after two or so days and up to a week. Then it looses in effect slightly, but not massive. But I've also found some differences in how many times I open it and room temperature. But I have to do proper testing to really say exactly how potent it is during what time.
    So the best level is achieved already in 2 days, but I should be able to get good results also after that. Thank you for telling how it has worked with you
    I wonder where this claim comes from, that it demises so quickly... But maybe different henna batches/brands/trees act differently Or then that happens if you keep it all time in an open box in warm climate.
    Last edited by Priska; September 5th, 2023 at 03:02 AM.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    So the best level is achieved already in 2 days, but I should be able to get good results also after that. Thank you for telling how it has worked with you
    I wonder where this claim comes from, that it demises so quickly... But maybe different henna batches/brands/trees act differently Or then that happens if you keep it all time in an open box in warm climate.
    I haven't actually heard that claim for henna, but for other herbal dyes such as Indigo. Could be that people just clump them together. But then for dying your hair, you'll probably not dye your hair more than once in a few weeks and thus won't have any use for henna stored in room temperature, but freeze it.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I made one batch for my hair and one for my nails, more than a month ago.

I left it on for eight minutes.

Both gave a nice stain for being left on for just eight minutes.

To be continued...

Length
    20"/39"/50"
    Type
    4b/4c/F/M/iii

Wow! Freezing really does seem to boost the dye in henna! I froze some leftover henna from my last henna treatment. There wasn't enough for a full head so I planned to just thaw it and mix it with conditioner at some point. I did that today and even "watered down" with conditioner, it was stronger than it has been before. It stained my gloves more thoroughly. And since I forgot to put oil on my ears and forehead.....they are also orange. And there is a trail of orange down the side of my face where it was dripping as I applied it. Thank goodness I remembered to wear gloves. I'm still growing out faintly orange tips on a couple of my nails.
    TBL>CL>MTL>KL