Page 24 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing as long as it will go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default Re: Growing as Long as It will Go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Sometimes I'm so impatient with the process. I want to find out what terminal is on me, then do something else!
    Hang in there!!! You've already done so much of the work!

Grow, Spiderhair, Grow!

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by trolleypup View Post
    Typically, when it is fairytaled, and has stabilized at a particular length after gaining length at your regular rate. It stays at this length for an extended time (a year or more?) and if you trim an inch or two off, it grows back to the same length and shape at your regular growth rate.

At least, that is what I used to say...but after several years at 53" with all indications pointing at terminal, I am now growing again, currently at 57.5!
    Ah, okay thanks!

I had never even heard of terminal length until I joined this forum. I hope my terminal length is long. That is so great that your hair started growing after such a wait, maybe your hair was taking a rest for a while?
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

I'm growing out to terminal because I want to test my family genes. My great grandmother holds the record for growing hair to floor. My oldest sister grew hair to her ankles before she cut it back to waist when she gave birth to her first child. Plus, I'm the odd one in my family for having wurly hair. I've encountered some people who told me that growing curly hair to extreme lengths is not possible. Interesting thread!
    Last edited by rowie; May 6th, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added more

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
    Hang in there!!! You've already done so much of the work!

Grow, Spiderhair, Grow!
    What she said!

I figure I'm more than halfway there, but who knows. I'm not so sure I'll hold out for terminal length if my hair length passes my knees.

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I figure I'm more than halfway there, but who knows. I'm not so sure I'll hold out for terminal length if my hair length passes my knees.
    That's how I feel too. I definitely want to get my hair to at least waist (which I've done before) and I'm thinking seriously about going for classic -- and if I get there in a few years, it'll be tempting to see where terminal is, *just because*. However, I can't see myself coping with longer than knee-length hair. There's something about approaching floor that is intimidating.

RESURRECTION!!!

My hair grew an inch this month.
    Yayyy! Its looking good in the new pic!

Length
    Pixie/52/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

holothuroide: "ETA: I have not noticed because apparently I am dense and unobservant. I did a member search for people with fine hair that is currently at knee and got 7 results. You can do searches like that yourself and find people with your hair type that are at your goal and send them a message asking them what their secrets are. EndETA"

Thanks! I don't think I can search members quite yet, because my account is still limited. I didn't know I could search for hair types though. That's awesome- thanks!

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by hairconvictions View Post
    holothuroide: "ETA: I have not noticed because apparently I am dense and unobservant. I did a member search for people with fine hair that is currently at knee and got 7 results. You can do searches like that yourself and find people with your hair type that are at your goal and send them a message asking them what their secrets are. EndETA"

Thanks! I don't think I can search members quite yet, because my account is still limited. I didn't know I could search for hair types though. That's awesome- thanks!
    Once you are able to view profiles, click on the "Members List" link in the bar at the top of the page. Then click on the "search" button on the upper left hand side of the list. Go to "Advanced Search" and you can search for lots of stuff.

Length
    20/26.5/35
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

There are a handful of people here with extreme lengths. Whether you can grow that long is determined mostly by genetics. Everyone's hair has a different "life span" and yours has to be very long if you want ankle length hair.

Other than that, though, it's all about keeping the hair that does grow protected so it doesn't break off. Gentle handling and protective styling.

I think a lot of people just list their goal as "terminal" because they have a goal of extreme length but realize they might not get there.

I know gossamer has F/M hair, but I haven't noticed anyone with super fine hair that has reached an extreme length. That doesn't mean yours won't, though. I know people with fine hair that is very strong, and of course it all depends on how you treat it.

ETA: I have not noticed because apparently I am dense and unobservant. I did a member search for people with fine hair that is currently at knee and got 7 results. You can do searches like that yourself and find people with your hair type that are at your goal and send them a message asking them what their secrets are. EndETA

How long your hair actually grows has nothing to do with how fine/coarse it is, but length you get will depend on the hair not breaking. So if your goal is extreme length you might want to start practicing extremely gentle handling now. Less washing, never wearing it down, avoid tangles as if your life depended on it, that sort of thing.
    Thanks for the tips. It's so encouraging that there's a network of similar minded and goal centered people out there. Certainly helps terminal growing a lot easier to get through!

I had to trim my hair yesterday... the split ends were getting drastic. I always get so sad to trim but as far as I know it's slightly neccessary for proper healthy hair.

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherdess View Post
    I had never even heard of terminal length until I joined this forum.
    Me neither, nor any of the markers we use here, like Classic, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    I'm growing out to terminal because I want to test my family genes. My great grandmother holds the record for growing hair to floor. My oldest sister grew hair to her ankles before she cut it back to waist
    My aunt has terminal length hair at just above TBL. She has fine, straight, medium to dark brown hair and FTE's and has had the same length hair for years and wears it down ALL THE TIME. My Mom told me the other day that I have a great or great-great grandmother who was known for her long hair but no picture and no actual length. How interesting to be known down the generations for your hair.

I figure I'm more than halfway there, but who knows.
    Oooh, that is a good thought! I have no clue if I am half way there or not, though. I would think so. TBL is half my body height so I was excited when I past that mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    I can't see myself coping with longer than knee-length hair. There's something about approaching floor that is intimidating.
    I am concerned about braiding once it my braid gets past FTL. I have a paranda and was braiding it into my hair yesterday and towards the end I could no longer keep tension on it to braid because of its length. I read somewhere a couple years ago here on TLHC that hair past knee has its own set of needs because you cannot just brush it out in one stroke due to the length. I am sure you learn to cope as it grows.

I have been concerned about hair that touches the floor once sitting (my guess is knee length or slightly past). Plus, if it is loose and ankle length and you stoop or bend for ANY reason it would touch the floor. My hair touches the floor now if I lean forward to pick something up or if I sit on the floor, l which I often do in the library when I am looking on the bottom two shelves. Hair on the floor is cringe material for me. The thought of it getting stepped on is almost unbearable. LOL. It can always be piled in the lap when sitting.

The decision to continue to term will have to be re-made continually after new hallmarks are reached. I still have not decided to grow to term, though. For now I am lightheartedly shooting for knee with my next real benchmark being FTL.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018