Page 35 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing as long as it will go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Length
    baby/15/30
    Type
    3c/F/iii

Default Re: Growing as Long as It will Go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
    What!?!?

...Really, what!?
    It's because of all the damage caused by relaxers, hot combs without protectant, heavy braids and weaves, etc. My mom never used chemicals or extensions on my hair, but she and the rest of my family are generally uneducated about hair. I told my aunt that I want my hair to my waist and she said, "Child, how many times do I have to tell you that YOURE BLACK?!?!"
    Stupid, I know. I've always believed I could have hair past my shoulders, down my back, and to my waist. I believe fully that race doesn't mean anything. We're all on this journey together, and we'll all reach terminal together.
    Last edited by domisimone; July 20th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Dry and Curly: CHIN +, SHOULDERS, APL, BSL, MBL, WAIST

Straight: SHOULDERS, UBL, APL +, BSL, MBL, WAIST, LBL, TBL, CLASSIC

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by domisimone View Post
    My mom somehow got it in her head that black people's hair doesn't grow. I'm growing from shoulder to classic in five years to prove a point, and I have no idea what comes after that.
    It's because of all the damage caused by relaxers, hot combs without protectant, heavy braids and weaves, etc. My mom never used chemicals or extensions on my hair, but she and the rest of my family are generally uneducated about hair. I told my aunt that I want my hair to my waist and she said, "Child, how many times do I have to tell you that YOURE BLACK?!?!"
    Stupid, I know. I've always believed I could have hair past my shoulders, down my back, and to my waist. I believe fully that race doesn't mean anything. We're all on this journey together, and we'll all reach terminal together.
    My little cousin has been told this a lot of times. She is 12 and last I saw her had hair that stretched to waist-length. She has this great STARE for people who tell her she can't have long hair.

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

It just didn't make sense to me that someone could possess hair and insist that it doesn't grow, but when you add the relaxers and so on I guess it does add up.

Yes we are all on this journey together, even if we all have different paths.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Well no wonder they got that idea, the damage isnt letting them keep any length that was grown! I heard this too in high school by some of my friends, i asked them why they kept their hair short (and why they straightened their 3b-4b hair CONSTANTLY) and they said because black people hair doesnt grow, or doesnt grow like mine does. But i was like.....why are you an exception by race? i dont understand. its hair, it grows. If it didnt, then you wouldnt have any hair for those braids to hold on to. I really REALLY dont like that saying "because you're black!". Nope, nope. Not at all by me. We're all in this journey and trust me you're gonna change their opinions when you show them your healthy long hair

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LovingLongHair View Post
    Yay! Terminal Growth Thread! I just recently decided to grow to terminal, so this is nice to have others who are growing the same. My hair is rather fine though, so I'm sort of worried though about how it will look with fairytale ends. Hopefully not too bad! I have been able to stretch my washes further though lately, so that's a new accomplishment for me! Can't wait to see how long it will grow!
    I'm thinking I'd like to try for terminal even thought I'm pretty sure it's probably just waist. I'd be OVER the moon if it even gets there. I don't want to have one or two wisps of hair at waist so I'll trim if it begins to look like that. Trying to only trim twice a year now with better care of my hair.
    Hair September 2015

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gthlvrmx View Post
    Well no wonder they got that idea, the damage isnt letting them keep any length that was grown! I heard this too in high school by some of my friends, i asked them why they kept their hair short (and why they straightened their 3b-4b hair CONSTANTLY) and they said because black people hair doesnt grow, or doesnt grow like mine does. But i was like.....why are you an exception by race? i dont understand. its hair, it grows. If it didnt, then you wouldnt have any hair for those braids to hold on to. I really REALLY dont like that saying "because you're black!". Nope, nope. Not at all by me. We're all in this journey and trust me you're gonna change their opinions when you show them your healthy long hair
    I also know a woman who went off about how oils and natural products work for "white" hair, but the only way to deal with "black" hair was to go to a salon and get products and relaxers. As she talked, it became clear that her idea of "dealing with" super-curly hair all involved loosening or getting rid of the curl.

As if there were some kind of straight dividing line to be drawn between "black" and "white," anyway. And this woman self-identified as "biracial." I didn't get it.

Length
    baby/15/30
    Type
    3c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elithia View Post
    My little cousin has been told this a lot of times. She is 12 and last I saw her had hair that stretched to waist-length. She has this great STARE for people who tell her she can't have long hair.
    Yeah, I generally whip out my "Evil Glare of Death".

Quote Originally Posted by gthlvrmx View Post
    I don't believe there's such a thing as "ethnic hair" or "black hair". Some races may be more likely to develop certain hair types, but it all boils down to porosity, density, curl pattern, and overall treatment and products used. I literally cringe when I hear people say that my hair won't grow because of my race--the only way hair stops growing completely is if you have a medical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Elithia View Post
    I also know a woman who went off about how oils and natural products work for "white" hair, but the only way to deal with "black" hair was to go to a salon and get products and relaxers. As she talked, it became clear that her idea of "dealing with" super-curly hair all involved loosening or getting rid of the curl.

As if there were some kind of straight dividing line to be drawn between "black" and "white," anyway. And this woman self-identified as "biracial." I didn't get it.
    Again, I don't believe in racial boundaries.
    Dry and Curly: CHIN +, SHOULDERS, APL, BSL, MBL, WAIST

Straight: SHOULDERS, UBL, APL +, BSL, MBL, WAIST, LBL, TBL, CLASSIC

Length
    Chin/Waist/Term.
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbrumby View Post
    I'm thinking I'd like to try for terminal even thought I'm pretty sure it's probably just waist. I'd be OVER the moon if it even gets there. I don't want to have one or two wisps of hair at waist so I'll trim if it begins to look like that. Trying to only trim twice a year now with better care of my hair.
    I was the same way. My hair hadn't ever really made it past waist. But with how I had been caring for it before, no wonder! I was frying it to death! But now that its being well cared for, it is thickening up some and is just past waist! Something that really helped me was that I quit worrying so much about my hair! I'd worry that it wouldn't grow and I obsessed over everything about my hair! But once I stopped worrying, it almost seemed to help. I don't know if stress can affect hair that much, but it sure did me! But anywho, sorry for going off on a tangent, lol! I wish you all the luck in growing your hair!
    Lady Tauredhiel of the Ever-Burning Heartfire in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. -1 Corinthians 11:15
    <><

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LovingLongHair View Post
    I was the same way. My hair hadn't ever really made it past waist. But with how I had been caring for it before, no wonder! I was frying it to death! But now that its being well cared for, it is thickening up some and is just past waist! Something that really helped me was that I quit worrying so much about my hair! I'd worry that it wouldn't grow and I obsessed over everything about my hair! But once I stopped worrying, it almost seemed to help. I don't know if stress can affect hair that much, but it sure did me! But anywho, sorry for going off on a tangent, lol! I wish you all the luck in growing your hair!
    Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I'm obsessed and my bff was making fun of me so it's official. I can't wait till I just put it up and forget about it for weeks at a time.

Your hair is lovely and it's what I hope I can achieve one day. Thanks.
    Hair September 2015

Length
    24/23/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm in the longest my hair been besides being down to my bottom as a kid was hip after my second kid and the hair dresser chopped it off! After that my hair grew fast and was back to wsl in couple months and stood that way until three months ago it crumbled to bsl and had a cut and then ended up ruining my layers making them too short N thick , so I am here waiting for my hair to grow I'm hoping to grow the longest it can if it wsl I'll be happy if it hip I'll be thrilled so by next year my bsl hair should be much longer and I will be happy