Page 26 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing as long as it will go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Length
    6/40/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Growing as Long as It will Go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Ack this is making my brain hurt lol!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I hope i have measured wrong.. I've just looked at how much my hair have grown since the 14th of March 2011 and to March 2012. And i looked in a document I have (where I write the growth of my hair and when i cut my hair and how much I cut off) and I just counted that it would be about 9 inches of growth.. but that can't be right can't it?
    then again, I know I cut quite a lot off.
    I measured my top layer to be 20 cm long, and that's without counting those cms i cut off which would equal to about 23-25 cms growth in a year! :O I must be wrong... right? kinda scared to be honest :P (though I know I have crazy fast growing hair)

What do you guys think? is it even possible? To have that fast growing hair?

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

9 inches of growth in a year is perfectly reasonable. Average is 6, people with fast growing hair can have as much as double that.

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flame3345 View Post
    I hope i have measured wrong.. I've just looked at how much my hair have grown since the 14th of March 2011 and to March 2012. And i looked in a document I have (where I write the growth of my hair and when i cut my hair and how much I cut off) and I just counted that it would be about 9 inches of growth.. but that can't be right can't it?
    then again, I know I cut quite a lot off.
    I measured my top layer to be 20 cm long, and that's without counting those cms i cut off which would equal to about 23-25 cms growth in a year! :O I must be wrong... right? kinda scared to be honest :P (though I know I have crazy fast growing hair)

What do you guys think? is it even possible? To have that fast growing hair?
    I've know a few girls who could grow 12+ inches in a year. One would chop to shoulder and then in a year be almost at waist it seemed.
    Hair September 2015

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    There is a factor I've wondered about, but never heard anyone mention. Say I start growing my hair today, and seven years from now (give or take a few years) I reach terminal. The catch is, I've been trimming it all my life to get rid of splits. Lots of Splits. And I intend to keep fishing them out of my hair as needed. [That's not the thing I'm ultimately getting at; I have heard people mention that factor before.] Trechnically, it should take me LONGER than that time to find my true terminal, as I have to wait for hair that's never been cut to make it all the way down and past my current "terminal" length.
    Here's the real factor I've been wondering about:
    What if, several years after I begin growing on my quest for Terminal, I change my routine? For example, when my hair was at APL I started castor oil and rooibos treatments, as well as CO washing. Regardless of whether it grows any faster with those changes, the hair that has only known this treatment is a lot healthier and stronger than the hair I had before. So the top 6-8 inches of my hair have a much better chance at actually reaching terminal than the hair currently almost at waist. But what if, several years from now, I improve my health somhehow, and my hair starts growing faster? It will take whatever new hair comes in at that time YEARS to catch up with the rest. Any change I make 2 years from now will be 3-4 years behind the rest of my hair, depending on how much I've trimmed. And by the time I've grown for 7-10 years, I may have forgotten about making that change. So, conceiveably, I could see no growth for 4 years or more (depending on what changed when), and then suddenly start growing again.

I don't know if I made that understandable or not, but it's something I've been wondering, especially since *trolleypup's* hair started growing again recently.
    Okay, I'm making up some terms here:
    observed terminal is the terminal one has with a particular routine. The same person might have a really long observed terminal with gentle care, and a really short observed terminal with harsh treatment.
    true terminal is the theoretical terminal one would have with perfect care: the point at which every single hair sheds at the end of its growth cycle, having not broken off or been trimmed even a little bit. Like many scientific concepts, not achievable in real life (naturally bald people aside)

If you make a change that affects your hair's strength it (probably) won't affect your observed terminal for years and years, because presumably your hair only breaks/splits once it's grown some distance anyway. On the other hand, if you make a change that affects your growing cycle or possibly your growth rate (I'm not entirely certain how hair growing works: does it keep growing for a certain amount of time, or a certain amount of length?), theoretically you should see effects about as quickly as you would if you weren't at observed terminal.
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

holothuroidea Thanks a lot for telling me Well if it then really is correct what i counted, then i will get rid of my layers soon

Silverbrumby Wow, that sure is fast growth! :O i hope my growth won't get near that, would be kinda scary :P

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Lightbulb Re: Growing as Long as It will Go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by bte View Post
    If you trim an inch off a hair which is 34" long, and which would have grown to 36", then it will only grow to 35". You will, in fact, make the longest lengths thinner by reducing the number of hairs which will reach that length.
    Wow. WOW. Took me awhile to wrap my neurons around that one (I'm slow), but it totally makes sense. Trimming robs you of the chance to get to terminal. So, my laziness has paid off! I've been meaning to get a microtrim to even things up, but I won't be doing that now, in case I decide to amend my goal length to terminal.
    Last edited by julierockhead; May 8th, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
    Guardian Julia of the Rock, Shaman of Animism in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Yes and no Julierockhead. Trimming can be necessary. Splits can travel up the length of your hair and reduce length if not taken care of.

Darklyndsea I like you terms! lol. I think true terminal is theoretical and unless you are sleeping beauty and never brush/wash/put up your hair and risk mechanical damage in any form it cannot be attained.

There are instructions in the articles somewhere on estimating your terminal length by measuring taper/ponytail circumference down the length and using a mathematical equation to estimate. I have never done it. I find measuring circumference almost impossible on my own hair. I guess I could have DH do it but it would be terribly inaccurate since I have highlighted/chemically altered hair mixed in with my virgin hair (chemcially altered hair thickness can be false). Plus all the breakage at the bottom 6" no matter how much I baby my hair. BUT breakage would be part of my observed terminal given that I could never fully prevent it.

There is also a calculator on the WWW for estimating based on your hair color and shed rate that I found to be horribly inaccurate even as a concept. I believe it gave you term in inches or centimeters.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    never/quite/enuff

Quote Originally Posted by julierockhead View Post
    Wow. WOW. Took me awhile to wrap my neurons around that one (I'm slow), but it totally makes sense. Trimming robs you of the chance to get to terminal. So, my laziness has paid off! I've been meaning to get a microtrim to even things up, but I won't be doing that now, in case I decide to amend my goal length to terminal.
    I would never call benign neglect laziness!

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hairconvictions View Post
    Hi!
    My "realistic goal" (so I don't get crushed) is solidly classic, but I would LOVE knee length. Do many people with fine hair get super long hair? Most of the people I know with long hair have medium or coarse hair. That kind of worries me :S
    I'm a finey with beyond knee length. I try to be gentle with my hair to limit splits and breaks. And it touches the ground when I climb stairs now, which is kind of annoying, so I do the scarf trick like Chromis or hold the ends in my hand. You do learn and adjust as your hair is growing, so it's not as big of a deal as it seems.