Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil makes me itch. What gives?

Length
    11"/26"/???

Default Coconut oil makes me itch. What gives?

I'd stopped using coconut oil on it's own because it used to break me out and make me itch. I like the shine and the feel it imparts so I started blending it with other oils and that seemed to help some. Then yesterday I got this bright idea to give coconut oil on its own another shot and lo and behold my scalp began itching like crazy.

I'm going to DC, clarify and condition tonight and hopefully that will stop the itchies, (if you have any other suggestions please do tell).

I can't be allergic to it, can I? I don't have any problems using coconut milk in my hair. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Length
    buzz/buzz/26"
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Coconut oil makes me itch. What gives?

Are you using too much? Or maybe you have other products on too? I know my scalp itches if I use too much coconut oil and leave it for too long. I do better to use very little on the roots and more on the length. Maybe a brown sugar scrub would help or AVC rinse?

Length
    3"/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Yikes! I'm sorry, that's no fun I think you can be allergic to it - people can be allergic to pretty much anything from what I know... Maybe it has something different in it from the coconut milk, I know they're not exactly the same thing. I have developed allergies to conventional products in the past - they can just suddenly develop Definitely I would avoid using it if it bothers your skin! Maybe EVOO or another oil could give you the shine you're looking for?

Also, I would suggest aloe for the itchies It's very soothing. Cortisone cream is also good for really bad itching, but I'm not sure if putting it on your scalp where it could come in contact with your hair would be ok.
    Proud puny-bunned stealth longhair.

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post

I can't be allergic to it, can I? I don't have any problems using coconut milk in my hair. Has this happened to anyone else before?
    You must be allergic to something in it if you're getting itchy skin. Coconut oil breaks me out if I use it as a leave in but strangely I can use it as a pre shampoo heavy oil treatment with no problems.

I hope you feel better after you wash it out. Having an itchy scalp is no fun.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

I use it for overnight oiling, if I leave it in for too longIt itches like crazy. I.e. if I wash the next morning, no problem. If I leave it until the evening... really not good, I'm scratching the whole time.

Unicorn

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My daughter is allergic to all things coconut. It makes her feel like she's been burned.
    I don't know why you would react to the oil and not the milk, though.

Maybe allergies. IDK.

I know that I am allergic to coconuts and it is an allergen to some folks.
    Hair history: 2014 cut knee length hair to bra strap length. June 2015- cut to shoulder length. April 2016 past APL growing to hip for goal and then maintain.

Length
    11"/26"/???

Quote Originally Posted by Beckstar View Post
    Are you using too much? Or maybe you have other products on too? I know my scalp itches if I use too much coconut oil and leave it for too long. I do better to use very little on the roots and more on the length. Maybe a brown sugar scrub would help or AVC rinse?
    Thank you for the suggestions! My scalp feels a little tender so the ACV rinse seems like the gentler route.

I can be a little heavy handed. My hair absorbs like a sponge so sometimes I can't always tell when I've applied enough/too much.

I did apply the majority of it to my length and just massaged in what little was left on my hands on my scalp that's what makes me think I might have a sensitivity to it...

Length
    WL/WL/HIP
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Aww Helix that sucks!

I would just pop a Benadryl. Anytime i have an allergic reaction to something...like cats, season changes, etc...i pop a Benadryl. It makes everything better....it also knocks me out...but the allergic reaction goes away.
    Lady Napaiai of the Secret Vale in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    11"/26"/???

Quote Originally Posted by RapunzelKat View Post
    Yikes! I'm sorry, that's no fun I think you can be allergic to it - people can be allergic to pretty much anything from what I know... Maybe it has something different in it from the coconut milk, I know they're not exactly the same thing. I have developed allergies to conventional products in the past - they can just suddenly develop Definitely I would avoid using it if it bothers your skin! Maybe EVOO or another oil could give you the shine you're looking for?

Also, I would suggest aloe for the itchies It's very soothing. Cortisone cream is also good for really bad itching, but I'm not sure if putting it on your scalp where it could come in contact with your hair would be ok.
    Thanks! I think I will avoid it for a while. I've never itched like this before and I'm not looking for a repeat.

I've got some Aussie moist on my head right now. It has aloe in it and I think it's helping. The cooling effect is offsetting the itch some...