Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap, natural UK conditioner?

Length
    30'/33'/40'
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Cheap, natural UK conditioner?

Hiya,

Its been a while since I last posted here and my hair is quite a bit longer and more reddish (henna of course xD). I have managed to ignore my hair and just let it grow after deciding my hair is too thick and fine to ever be tied up neatly.

Recently my regime has hit a problem.

I have been using giovanni 50/50 balanced shampoo, smooth as silk shampoo and smooth as silk conditioner. The shampoo lasts for ages, but I go though a bottle of conditioner about every 1-2 weeks and have recently started stealing bits of my bf's pantene which is itchy and I cant stand the chemical smell. The cheapest I can get Giovanni is about £6.95 per bottle (250ml) in the UK.

Does anyone know another SLS and cone free brand that are cheaper (or at least bigger) in the UK for conditioner? I have tried a few other good brands but they are just as expensive

I find if I use less conditioner the ends of my hair become dry (I assume due to old chemical damage, even though it looks and feels much better now).

I will try a get some new pics up soon

Guen
    Lady Zarbryn of Feline Grace in the order of the Long Haired Knights

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Cheap, natural UK conditioner?

The natural bit is difficult to find with a low price label, but the best I know of are Naked Smooth and Silky conditioner (I get it from Boots), and Pure Nuff Stuff's conditioner (which admittedly isn't much cheaper than the Giovanni, but is worth a look). There's also Dr. Organic conditioner at Holland and Barrett (thread here), which I haven't had much luck with but some others love, so worth a try.

Length
    30'/33'/40'
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Thanks for the reply

I have tried both Dr Organic and Naked, but I didnt like either of them

I will keep looking though
    Lady Zarbryn of Feline Grace in the order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm not sure what you consider natural, and I'm not in the UK, but am in Finland...

Have you tried Tresemme Naturals? It's not too expensive (big bottle) and is silicone, etc free..

Length
    chin/apl/tailb
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I´m not from uk, but I use this http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/index.php

The shampoo is not sulfate free but I do CO so I only use the conditioner. I use the chocolate one, but it is not that conditioning, but it is perfect for CO. They do others that are more conditioning.
    *** chin-shoulder-apl​-bsl-waist-hip-tailbone ***

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Dr Organic conditioners are on offer at Holland & Barrett at the moment though still not what I would call cheap. I think the "natural" tag always means you pay more.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Guenhwyvar View Post
    I have tried both Dr Organic and Naked, but I didnt like either of them
    Ah, bad luck. In that case, how natural are we talking? Because if you just need 'cone-free, that makes it a lot easier (and a lot cheaper). Are there particular ingredients you're sensitive to and want to avoid or...?

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

^^ Oops sorry - mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! guilty of not reading carefully enough.

Dr O isn't great for me either, I bought the yellow one because it passed the sniff test but I must say my hair likes cones better, and isn't mad on large quantities of aloe vera which is the first ingredient.

Is aloe a humectant, and do humectants make frizz-prone hair more frizzy when the air is damp? hmmm. That's a question for another thread.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    17/42/30

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    Ah, bad luck. In that case, how natural are we talking? Because if you just need 'cone-free, that makes it a lot easier (and a lot cheaper). Are there particular ingredients you're sensitive to and want to avoid or...?
    I'd love to know of UK cone free conditioners please!

ETA - in case anyone else does too, I found some UK threads - here and here!
    Last edited by Covet; March 18th, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: For others looking for UK cone free conditioners too.

Goal met and exceeded, now what?
    I have curly virgin hair which is currently tailbone length un-stretched.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Covet View Post
    I'd love to know of UK cone free conditioners please!

ETA - in case anyone else does too, I found some UK threads - here and here!
    The list of 'cone-free conditioners in your first link is awesome. One of my most referred to bookmarks!

I'd specifically recommend Garnier Repair and Shine conditioner (the UK version of Triple Nutrition), and Superdrug's Coconut and Sweet Almond Intensive conditioner (the one in the tub). They're my favourites besides Naked Straight and Silky.

Also, with Tresemme Naturals - it's much cheaper at Savers. Like £2 for 900ml kind of cheaper.