Thread: Why is it that?

Length
    23"/27"/43"
    Type
    3c/C/ii/iii

Default Why is it that?

Why is it that every time you go to a hair salon they want to trim your hair?Trim...no...more like cut! You walk out with 2" less hair. Ticks me off!

I haven't been in for a trim since roughly about November. In January I made a pledge to my self and the TLHC... no trims for a year. Being that I am preggo, 37 weeks Tues, YAY us, and find my natural kinky hair to much to care for at this time, I go to a dominican hair salon to have my hair round brush blown out. Anyway, the beautician says the only thing I need to make my hair healthy is to trim less that an inch. I say no and tell her about my challenge. She disregards and insists I trim next visit.

I was so sad when I left. Do I break with my challenge or do you think it's cool to wait til Nov?

I don't want to mess up my progress...

Oh and beauticians lie...they say less than an inch but there ruler is def. different than mine.

23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Why is it that?

Never let any one guilt you into doing something to your hair you don't think it needs. If you honestly believe it needs it because you look at it and SEE it needs it then trim. But if it doesn't then don't.

People tell me I need to tan and I don't run out and go get lobstered because my skin is pale or burned there is no tan. It's your body and you should love it how you want to.

I donated my hair last june, so it was shorter than chin length. Wanting more than anything to grow it out, I refuse to go to salons to get a trim. I've done a couple micro trims myself, and usually just hunt for splits and go after those.

I remember about 5 years ago my hair was APL, I went to get a trim, but I had told the woman about how I'm trying to grow my hair out as a few years before it was chin length at the front, and about a half inch at the back... Guess she was in her own little world when suddenly she takes a chunk of my hhair and cuts it to chin length...

Length
    waist/TB/long

Who cares what some hairdresser says? Of course she says cut - that's how they make money. Cut only when, and if you want to.

Length
    23"/27"/43"
    Type
    3c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglocks View Post
    I donated my hair last june, so it was shorter than chin length. Wanting more than anything to grow it out, I refuse to go to salons to get a trim. I've done a couple micro trims myself, and usually just hunt for splits and go after those.

I remember about 5 years ago my hair was APL, I went to get a trim, but I had told the woman about how I'm trying to grow my hair out as a few years before it was chin length at the front, and about a half inch at the back... Guess she was in her own little world when suddenly she takes a chunk of my hhair and cuts it to chin length...
    OMGosh! What a nightmare! I have def. got to stay away from those salons! I do S&Ds but I just haven't built up the courage to do much more than that. I guess thats something I will have to work towards.

23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Length
    SHLDR/MIDBK/TAILB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

The thing you must understand is that salons mainly make their money cutting hair (products, nail-work and sometimes ear piercings etc. aside). Many stylists I am sure have different ways of looking at it. Perhaps they feel that if they cut off more hair it somehow "proves" that they have done their job. They strive for an obvious noticeable difference so a quarter of an inch or even half an inch is too little. Some mean well and just want you to get your money's worth. But they don't understand that quantity does not always equal quality. Then there are those that will cut your hair in such a way to sucker you into having to come back and maintain that cut to make it look good. There are, I'm sure, many that have their own ideas of hair, after-all they trained for years working with hair, and think they are doing the hair justice by what they were taught and paying little heed to the wearer. The average stylist also tends to have little to no knowledge of what the hair even needs to be healthy, only look healthy. They don't understand the things that go on here at LHC, the things we do, the little challenges we put ourselves through that require patience and determination and TIME. They are about results to the time you go in and then go out. So, only take what they say with a grain of salt unless they claim to be long-hair friendly and even then look into their history and past clients if you love your hair enough to do so.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that regardless of whether or not your hair needs it, it is your hair and you make the choices that will either kill it or help it flourish. I am in the No Trims in 2012 challenge and no one is going to make me break the commitment I've made to this challenge. If I break it, it is going to be me deciding to trim by the moon on my birthday, which for 2012 just happens to be one of the best days in the entire year to trim it. With how rare this is, it's hard not thinking that I might break down in April and trim it, but it will be my choice.

I recommend not doing it and if she insists further, start looking for a new stylist. The ones who don't pressure and always do as you request are the keepers.
    Last edited by AcornMystic; March 16th, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Length
    23"/27"/43"
    Type
    3c/C/ii/iii

Thanks AcornMystic! Well said and noted! I asked my husband for advise on the subject...he just looked at me with that, deer in the headlights look. Thank goodness for TLHC!

Type
    3b/3c/F/M/i/ii

I thought I was the only one that felt that. That's why I have not been to one for 4 years.