Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I keep henna paste moist?

Question How do I keep henna paste moist?

Hi there! I hope you are all well
    Yesterday I tried to make a Jamila henna/cassia paste for the first time. I used hot (but not boiled) chamomile tea and my mixture has a very earthy scent. I put some tin foil on top of the bowl to keep it warm and left it near the radiator for 12 hours. I tried to test it on my hand today, but it only leaves an idea of yellow stain on my skin so I guess it's not ready yet.. *anxiety*
    I kinda dropped too much chamomile tea in the mixture, it became a little runnier (not as thick as yogurt consistensy) but although the quantity of my paste is not much (I used only a few grams for strand test), I noticed that it's drying out... Right now its thicker than toothpaste. I am afraid that if I leave it longer in a bowl of warm water or near heat it dry out completely. I read somewhere in the forum that If I add extra chamomile tea or extra lemon to make it easier to apply, the dye release process might be reversed.. Any ideas?

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

Default Re: How do I keep henna paste moist?

Tin foil won't keep out the air. If you leave your henna sitting for any length of time, it needs to be covered with plastic wrap - as air tight as you can make it. Air dries it out, just like it would dry out anything of that nature you might try to cook.

Also, metal ruins henna. Make sure that when you mix it, you use a wooden or plastic spoon. Never let anything metal touch your henna.

If you want it to get a little more runny right now, maybe add some lemon juice. I've never mixed my henna with any teas - just plain old henna and lemon juice. I only mix in enough juice to get it moist for dye release, cover it with plastic, then wait. Then when I am ready to do my hair, I gradually mix in more lemon juice until it is the consistency I want for applying to my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by auburntressed View Post
    Tin foil won't keep out the air. If you leave your henna sitting for any length of time, it needs to be covered with plastic wrap - as air tight as you can make it. Air dries it out, just like it would dry out anything of that nature you might try to cook.

Also, metal ruins henna. Make sure that when you mix it, you use a wooden or plastic spoon. Never let anything metal touch your henna.

If you want it to get a little more runny right now, maybe add some lemon juice. I've never mixed my henna with any teas - just plain old henna and lemon juice. I only mix in enough juice to get it moist for dye release, cover it with plastic, then wait. Then when I am ready to do my hair, I gradually mix in more lemon juice until it is the consistency I want for applying to my hair.

I am not using a metal bowl and I stirred it with a wooden spoon. I used chamomile tea to prevent dehydration of my hair. The stain on my skin is still too pale, almost invisible. Removing the tin foil, Plastic wrap it is! By the way I bought my Jamila and cassia henna from Henna Boy and the jamila has an expiration date (it expires on 2014), but they say that it is also suitable for hair.. So this is not a problem.. Dye release is taking too long though :S

If it is pure henna u should not worry about metal. I use metal utensils all the time and it works just fine, as long as there aren't any metallic salts in the henna

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You can add another splash of water, too, if it's too thick, it won't hurt your mud at all!

Do you have your henna sitting someplace warm? I set mine atop a food dehydrator, or in the summer, outside in the sun (using plastic wrap to keep the moisture inside). If you set it someplace 85F or warmer, you'll see much faster dye release (but also faster dye demise, so don't let it release for longer than you need to. I mix mine up with steaming chamomile tea, then let it sit atop the dehydrator for 4 hours, then apply to towel-dried hair)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    You can add another splash of water, too, if it's too thick, it won't hurt your mud at all!

Do you have your henna sitting someplace warm? I set mine atop a food dehydrator, or in the summer, outside in the sun (using plastic wrap to keep the moisture inside). If you set it someplace 85F or warmer, you'll see much faster dye release (but also faster dye demise, so don't let it release for longer than you need to. I mix mine up with steaming chamomile tea, then let it sit atop the dehydrator for 4 hours, then apply to towel-dried hair)
    Yes I keep it next to the radiator, warm all the time, but Jamila has slow dye release as it seams and the stain on my skin is still almost invisible even after 12 hours. I used hot chamomile tea just like you. Some people say that it should have immediate results on skin and paste color should change fast but mine didn't. Should I add a little lemon juice to help it? I am desperate because I wan't to be pretty for a hmmm certain gentleman (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by Shatam1 View Post
    If it is pure henna u should not worry about metal. I use metal utensils all the time and it works just fine, as long as there aren't any metallic salts in the henna
    Yes it's pure Jamila and cassia and says "summer crop 2011" on the box, it hasn't expired, I stored it in the fridge (I received it yesterday) but I use glass or plastic bowls and wooden spoon just in case

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Lemon juice will actually make it release less dye and limit your uptake. If it's been 12 hours next to a radiator, I'd just use it, honestly. I'd be afraid it's going to start to break down and you'll lose potency (if it hasn't already).

Where are you testing it in your skin? The best place is the heel of your hand, where the skin is thicker, not somplace with thin skin like the inside of your arm
    Last edited by Nightshade; March 16th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Length
    10/12,6/24
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
    Hi there! I hope you are all well
    Yesterday I tried to make a Jamila henna/cassia paste for the first time. I used hot (but not boiled) chamomile tea and my mixture has a very earthy scent. I put some tin foil on top of the bowl to keep it warm and left it near the radiator for 12 hours. I tried to test it on my hand today, but it only leaves an idea of yellow stain on my skin so I guess it's not ready yet.. *anxiety*
    I kinda dropped too much chamomile tea in the mixture, it became a little runnier (not as thick as yogurt consistensy) but although the quantity of my paste is not much (I used only a few grams for strand test), I noticed that it's drying out... Right now its thicker than toothpaste. I am afraid that if I leave it longer in a bowl of warm water or near heat it dry out completely. I read somewhere in the forum that If I add extra chamomile tea or extra lemon to make it easier to apply, the dye release process might be reversed.. Any ideas?
    Hi Octopus.
    In my opinion you might have missed the dye release and henna just demised .
    If you had put such a hot water (although not boiling) the dye release happens very quickly. If additionally you put it near to the radiator - it oxidised and demised.
    Don't put hot water into henna as it kills its dying abilities. Put water of room teperature with or without something acidic and then let it go. 12 hours if around 21 Celsjus degrees - if on radiator it is 3-3,5 maximum.
    Last edited by malwes; March 16th, 2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Lemon juice will actually make it release less dye and limit your uptake. If it's been 12 hours next to a radiator, I'd just use it, honestly. I'd be afraid it's going to start to break down and you'll lose potency.

Where are you testing it in your skin? The best place is the heel of your hand, where the skin is thicker, not somplace with thin skin like the inside of your arm
    I tested it on the inside of my wrist (-_-)