Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Budget friendly panacea alternative?

Length
    19/26/35+!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

Default Re: Panacea Knockoff

Nothing at all. I am not condoning the harsh comments made in this thread. But looking at previous posts, OP doesn't come across as not spending on things she wants/needs. And her blog and other threads seem to imply that she lives with others (as a dependent of her gf), while in this thread she suggests that she is bringing up for children by herself.

Up till now I admired the way you had been defending OP, but please don't turn a noble gesture into something more aggressive. I have no opinion on making a home made panacea and thought it was a reasonable request.

I am simply questioning OP's circumstances. She certainly hasn't been shy about discussing her personal life in other threads.
    Last edited by sami; March 17th, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Typo

Banned
    Length
    25/40+/fin

Nobody said *this DIY recipe is exactly like Panacea and *just as good* as her version*.....never, no where in this thread did I see that.

Nobody deserves *my money*, be it a small business, just because they ARE a small business, I can take my money where I want and buy what I want and get the product I want. No-one owes anyone their business. No one person is more deserving of someones money, just because they are a small business.

The only poor light in the thread was not shed on Nightblooming, it was negative because people were rude, all assuming and treated the OP and others very shabby because they are making home made recipes.

I personally do not find 2 oz of product decently priced at $13.75 + $6 shipping totaling $18.75. I tend to overuse and use concoctions as a deep treatment. I like to use the same item for hair, face, lips, all over body moisturizer. When i find something that smells good and works good, I really use it a lot on my dry hands. I had a gallon of lip balm mix that is made from Coconut oil, beeswax and some other stuff. I melted it and put it into 8 oz jars. I have used one full 8 oz jar in a week. YES, a week!

I prefer to use a home-made recipe and not worry about it costing me a $20 dollar bill and using it sparingly. I like to enjoy it at will and if I want to use some extra, I don't want to stress the price. What YOU find reasonably priced may not be reasonable for someone else.

It also isn't that anyone is *encouraging* a knock-off per se, but the 2 main ingredients are rather easy to come by and a person can experiment with their own version and use it for more than just hair if they wish. I am in no way saying that Panacea isn't wonderful, I am just saying that for some of us, 2 ounces of product for (right at $20) is not a bargain. I can find something suitable for far less and have lots left over for other body treatment. Sure, it won't look, smell or necessarily work the exact same way, but for ME, it will suffice.

No one is trying to exactly replicate the Panacea, we aren't asking for a recipe, or ratios, or how to make the herbal infusion. We aren't asking where to buy the secret ingredients or how to make it exactly.

Telling someone that they just need to spend the $5.75 on the real thing is highly offensive. The thread was a request for a home version, not a request to be bullied and shamed into supporting any *one forum member* just because they have a small business. I highly doubt that I would ever spend $5.75 on a 1/2 ounce of anything for my hair. Ever. It isn't cost effective for me. I prefer to buy the main ingredients of that product and play with it and find what works for me. Judging from the description of the smell of the real Panacea, I would go through that half ounce in a day or so, I would be greedy and excited and use it all up like crazy! I don't like to have to ration something because it was pricey. And yes, to me it is too pricey, thus the reason I have always considered the product but never purchased due to the cost.

Call me cheap? I call it frugal. I don't feel obligated by anyones comments to go buy the real thing when it does not fit into the category of frugal, to me. I have considered swapping in the past, but others have always beat me to the punch when it comes up on the swap board. Maybe I will get lucky one day and then be the one saying.....*don't try X, just buy the real thing*.....until then, I will just be a cheap ass and make my home-made goodies and be happy that I have those ingredients to mess around with and use as total body luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenkitty View Post
    OK, so I didn't mean get a job or turn in cans as "you are just being stingy or lazy" I work a job where I am on my feet all day, have a zoo full of rescued animals and a SO to support and live with a debilitating spinal cord injury.

The "point" was that no one said "Hey I understand you can't afford 5.75, try this it may be more economical" I was said this is the same thing and its cheaper and just as good and led the OP to believe it could be cheaper and just as good to "DIY Panacea" and sorry but knowing Nightshade and having done some research with her that's misinformation.

I have in fact saved up cans and put away a few bucks a week to get something that I knew was quality or that I just plain wanted. There is no shame in it, and even if someone doesn't "work" I don't assume they are unemployed. I was a "stay at home cripple" and "dog mommy" as my friends lovingly called me and I definitely had work.

Point? Panacea is quality and Nightshade definitely deserves the money more than some big box store that sells cheap oils. And the OP didn't deserve the misinformation, Panacea does NOT cost 50 dollars shipped, (that was a limited edition 8 ounce jar that people had personally asked for) that is not only untrue but sheds really poor light on Nightblooming.

I know we all have to "do what we gotta do" But I still felt like encouraging a "knockoff" of an already decent priced product (and also I had a 1/2 ounce jar for almost 6 months with waist length hair from Belderan and Nightblooming and several people here also stated the same)

It boils down to 5.75 to give it a whirl, vs cobbling together your own and "hope" it works. Cost wise, it is still cheaper and better for small business to give the Nightshade stuff a go.

And Jenne I was unemployed and raising two kids for 2 years, it SUCKS if you want some of my hair stuff that I tried and didn't car for lemme know

KJ
    Last edited by gretchen_hair; March 17th, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: fixing grammatical errors

Banned
    Length
    25/40+/fin

I don't see how my question was aggressive in any way?

I simply asked, what did any of the OP's *other* threads have to do with making a home-made version of Panacea?

And again, regardless of the OP's past purchases, or any purchases for that matter, does not have any bearing on wanting to make a home-made version of something.

Also, bringing her personal life (ie: living alone, bringing up children/appearing that she lives with others at one point in her life) has absolutely nothing to do with the desire to make an at home product.

It makes me wonder WHY you would bring that up if you had NO opinion on making Panacea? It seems very contentious and accusatory. But of course, this is the internet and sometimes we read each other wrong, but I don't understand the need to know about her personal life/ past threads/ past purchases in regards to her desire to make a *budget friendly version* of the Panacea product.

ETA:

Nobody needs to defend themselves on the WHY that they want to make a home-made version of anything. It does not matter if we want to save money, get a better bargain for our money or just simply like to concoct potions, we are free to make the decisions we choose without being harangued as to why we are doing it. We need not have to explain anything to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gretchen_hair View Post
    What does this have to do with making a home made version of Panacea?
    Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    Nothing at all. I am not condoning the harsh comments made in this thread. But looking at previous posts, on things she wants/needs. And her blog and otherOP doesn't come across as not spending threads seem to imply that she lives with others (as a dependent of her gf), while in this thread she suggests that she is bringing up for children by herself.

Up till now I admired the way you had been defending OP, but please don't turn a noble gesture into something more aggressive. I have no opinion on making a home made panacea and thought it was a reasonable request.

I am simply questioning OP's circumstances. She certainly hasn't been shy about discussing her personal life in other threads.
    Last edited by gretchen_hair; March 17th, 2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: ETA

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by gretchen_hair View Post
    Nobody needs to defend themselves on the WHY that they want to make a home-made version of anything.
    This. It has always been a part of these boards since I have been here, that people experiment and try their own versions of products they like or know about from anywhere.

In the past, I have liked certain hair conditioners. However, there was always something that I felt could have been improved, just for me and my scalp or hair. I never found "the" product. And then my scalp became sensitized to a quat (quaternium ammonium compound) that is in most of the conditioners I did prefer.

That is when I started to experiment with herbs and never looked back.

ETA: That is my experience. No one needs to justify their reasons for experimenting or wanting to do so, in my opinion, too.
    Last edited by ktani; March 17th, 2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: ETA

Length
    19/26/35+!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

Default Re: Budget friendly panacea alternative?

I wasn't questioning original post at all. And what did I write that implied I was questioning why anyone should make their own version of panacea? I'm sure there's plenty of stuff - not just hair products - that people try to emulate, for a variety of reasons.

It was Jennescence's last few posts where she provided an explanation of why she was wanting to try this that I pondered. I actually felt sorry for her when some told her to go earn/save up money. Like others I admired her supposedly taking on a family at such a young age and out of curiosity read through previous posts. And what she has written previously didn't tally with what she is saying now. Which still doesn't justify the rude comments. She didn't need to invent an imaginary family (or so it sounds) for sympathy, she already got that from members defending her.

So please get off your high horse. Seeing as we are assuming things and YOU are doing a lot of assuming, seems to me you are using this thread to pontificate about people's rights to rip off someone else's successful product.

Gosh no wonder I rarely express an opinion here.....

I wasn't questioning original post at all. And what did I write that implied I was questioning why anyone should make their own version of panacea? I'm sure there's plenty of stuff - not just hair products - that people try to emulate, for a variety of reasons.

It was Jennescence's last few posts where she provided an explanation of why she was wanting to try this that I pondered. I actually felt sorry for her when some told her to go earn/save up money. Like others I admired her supposedly taking on a family at such a young age and out of curiosity read through previous posts. And what she has written previously didn't tally with what she is saying now. Which still doesn't justify the rude comments. She didn't need to invent an imaginary family (or so it sounds) for sympathy, she already got that from members defending her.

So please get off your high horse. Seeing as we are assuming things and YOU are doing a lot of assuming, seems to me you are using this thread to pontificate about people's rights to rip off someone else's successful product.

Gosh no wonder I rarely express an opinion here.....
    1. My post was not aimed at you.

2. This is totally uncalled for and I will not reply in kind.

Length
    19/26/35+!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

ktani, my post was addressing gretchen_hair.

ktani, my post was addressing gretchen_hair.
    Understood.

It would appear that there are a number of misunderstandings in this thread, that to me are way off topic.

I do think people in general, need to be calm before they post and speculate.

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen hair
    Nobody said *this DIY recipe is exactly like Panacea and *just as good* as her version*.....never, no where in this thread did I see that.
    Well this was the first suggestion:

Quote Originally Posted by Ktani
    You can easily make your own version from this. ETA: The recipe dates back to 2003.

Fox's Original and Innovative Shea Butter Cream
    To me this sounds that Panacea is EXACTLY the same as Fox’s Conditioning Crème.

Now, if it was said “Panacea contains a lot more herbal ingredients but Fox’s Conditioning Crème may be similar, so here’s a recipe you can try” that would have been much more accurate and less offensive to many of us here.

Length
    19/26/35+!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

ktani, I have always found your posts informative and pretty neutral.

You're right, I did take it of topic. I wished I had restrained from commenting. Will go back to my usual lurking