Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Budget friendly panacea alternative?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Budget friendly panacea alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by jel View Post

To me this sounds that Panacea is EXACTLY the same as Fox’s Conditioning Crème.

Now, if it was said “Panacea contains a lot more herbal ingredients but Fox’s Conditioning Crème may be similar, so here’s a recipe you can try” that would have been much more accurate and less offensive to many of us here.
    Not if you read the actual recipe. And I said "your own version".

Fox's recipe leaves the oil and conditioner up to the person.

The 3 active ingredients are however the same, oil, conditioner and shea butter.

To my knowledge, the recipe in and of itself is unique in combining all 3 together to get unique results, which depend on the choices made, and which is borne out in the original thread by results reported there, by members here, which differ with those choices ETA: but are still excellent ETA:6 in most cases - because of the combination of the 3 main ingredients.

ETA:2 In other words, Fox was the first to use those 3 ingredients to create a "product". Differences in exact results vary with choices made for 2 of the 3 and any extras that may be used ETA:5 or are in the conditioner choice, like herbs. - It is the combination of those 3 ingredients though that makes the original recipe unique, in my opinion.

ETA:3 Conditioner waxes or emulsifiers can be used instead of conditioner ETA:4 (and you do need to add a liquid if you do that instead of using actual conditioner, which contains water) - for a homemade version, because they act the same way, emulsifying the oil and shea butter, keeping them mixed.

ETA:7 And proportions count as well and are very important. http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ead.php?t=4487
    Last edited by ktani; March 17th, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: ETA and ETA:2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and spelling

Banned
    Length
    25/40+/fin

I am only reading what you are saying with your own words. I am not assuming anything.

To suggest that someone is making up stories to gain *sympathy* is really far out there.

To assume that I am trying to *justify*, someones *right to RIP OFF someone else's successful product* is pretty far put there as well.

If I make a Pseudo Panacea and pop it up on Etsy for sale, then you can use that argument, until then, it's invalid and highly assumptive.

I have a right to concoct anything I wish, inside of my own home, so far as it's within the legal limits of the law. The items I make aren't illegal, so I'm ok with that.

In your first post, you didn't express any opinion. It was an accusational question.

I have never ridden a horse, be it high or low. Although I have sang the song *Horse with no name* many a time, but that does not qualify me as an expert on horse riding, although I believe Neil Young meant that as something symbolic, not an actual sporting event. (riding through the desert on the horse)

As for the *pontificating*, I don't believe myself to be *all that important* I can't believe that this many people actually give a crap as to what people do in their own homes.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    I wasn't questioning original post at all. And what did I write that implied I was questioning why anyone should make their own version of panacea? I'm sure there's plenty of stuff - not just hair products - that people try to emulate, for a variety of reasons.

It was Jennescence's last few posts where she provided an explanation of why she was wanting to try this that I pondered. I actually felt sorry for her when some told her to go earn/save up money. Like others I admired her supposedly taking on a family at such a young age and out of curiosity read through previous posts. And what she has written previously didn't tally with what she is saying now. Which still doesn't justify the rude comments. She didn't need to invent an imaginary family (or so it sounds) for sympathy, she already got that from members defending her.

So please get off your high horse. Seeing as we are assuming things and YOU are doing a lot of assuming, seems to me you are using this thread to pontificate about people's rights to rip off someone else's successful product.

Gosh no wonder I rarely express an opinion here.....
    Last edited by gretchen_hair; March 17th, 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Length
    25/40+/fin

The key words in ktanis post is.....*YOUR OWN *VERSION*

Nobody has to specify what they MEANT by explaining in great detail that YOUR OWN VERSION and the PANACEA BRAND will NOT BE THE SAME.

What you read and what you inferred are 2 different things. No one needs to be diligent and specify that Panacea has more herbs and ingredients and that YOUR OWN VERSION....WILL NOT BE THE SAME*

Why does anyone need to add all of that in a post about DIY blends?

Why does anyone have to add the wording.....THESE TWO ARE SIMILAR BUT NOT THE SAME?

It is unnecessary, I know that my Chocolate Chip cookies will NOT be JUST like *Mrs. Fields*, no one has to tell me that, it does not need to be stated as such, I am pretty quick on the draw and simply understand that my own version will never be up to par with anything commercially made and that is for sale.

There is nothing inaccurate about anything that was said in regards to making YOUR OWN VERSION of X product. How can MAKING YOUR OWN VERSION, be considered OFFENSIVE in any way? I am genuinely perplexed as to how many people are trippin' over someone saying....here's the main ingredients in X, here's the main ingredients in Y, they are similar products, you can make your own version.

If we start requiring people to make wordy statements before their posts, regarding how a home-made product is NOT THE SAME as X name brand product, things are going to get convoluted and overly complicated and it's really unnecessary.

As a matter of fact, the products we make at home are NOT the same as the name brand, we all know that, in some cases the home made brand is FAR SUPERIOR than the name brand.

Quote Originally Posted by jel View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gretchen hair
    Nobody said *this DIY recipe is exactly like Panacea and *just as good* as her version*.....never, no where in this thread did I see that.

Well this was the first suggestion:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ktani
    You can easily make your own version from this. ETA: The recipe dates back to 2003.

Fox's Original and Innovative Shea Butter Cream

To me this sounds that Panacea is EXACTLY the same as Fox’s Conditioning Crème.

Now, if it was said “Panacea contains a lot more herbal ingredients but Fox’s Conditioning Crème may be similar, so here’s a recipe you can try” that would have been much more accurate and less offensive to many of us here.
    Last edited by gretchen_hair; March 17th, 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Banned
    Length
    25/40+/fin

I would also like to add:

No one here is trying to convince anyone to NOT purchase the Panacea brand of hair treatment if that is what they wish.

No one is trying to TAKE business away from Nightblooming/Nightshade.

No one is trying to make a product that is similar or a *GPV* version, if you will, and sell it under guise of being *just like the REAL thing*

No one is doubting Nightshade/Nighbloomings skills as a vendor/cook/concoctioness and no one is saying that people should NOT buy the product because you can make it better, cheaper and it's the same if not superior than the real Panacea.

This whole thread has gone to hell in a hand basket because people took the topic as something offensive, when in reality, it was just a simple question as to how to do an at home version of a product.

To my knowledge, the mixture of Shea butter/ coconut oils/ and any other tea, herb, essential oil, conditioner, other oils or butters/ or any other ingredient is not patented. And in the event that it WERE patented, and we happened to use the same exact ingredients, it would not be a violation of the law or any moral code to simply throw these items together in a bowl and stick the end result on our heads (or other body parts) or to give as gifts to friends.

If I have to, I will do a search of other *make it yourself* products on this forum and post a link to them here, just to make a point. But I really don't feel like having to do that, it's a lot of work and everyone knows that we always discuss DIY potions and recipes. It has never been an issue unless someone is trying to replicate someone work (as in hair toys) and sell them on a vendor site such as Etsy.
    Last edited by gretchen_hair; March 17th, 2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: cannot seem to spell anything correctly

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I personally can't imagine spending that much on salve for my hair

Fox's is fun to play with, and oils are awesome on their own. I'd start there and play a bit.

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Default Re: Panacea Knockoff

Nothing at all. I am not condoning the harsh comments made in this thread. But looking at previous posts, OP doesn't come across as not spending on things she wants/needs. And her blog and other threads seem to imply that she lives with others (as a dependent of her gf), while in this thread she suggests that she is bringing up for children by herself.

Up till now I admired the way you had been defending OP, but please don't turn a noble gesture into something more aggressive. I have no opinion on making a home made panacea and thought it was a reasonable request.

I am simply questioning OP's circumstances. She certainly hasn't been shy about discussing her personal life in other threads.
    Alot has changed since I posted in the past. My living situation has changed a lot. Sorry i couldn't inform you personally about the changes in my life. It is very rude to insinuate that i am lying. I am in fact not lying. I had to grow up fast in a very short time.
    Lady Daoine, Mythweaver of the Unseelie Court in the Order of the Long Haired Kights!

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

I had a read through OP's older posts and am a bit confused. She seems to have lived with another girl's family as recently as January (bully thread). Also there's a thread where she talks about combining lots of shampoo/conditioner that she has bought then nevers uses? Although of course they may just be cheap products.
    Yes they are cheap products lol. Products bought at the local SUNDRY store. A lot of them are old and were stacking up so i was getting tired of them. Old as in from a time when things were better. I do live with my girlfriend and her parents, but i pay rent for all of us and i never ask for any money from any of them. So yes i AM doing it all on my own. I wouldn't just make something like that up. I really do not know why i am even replying to you. It really is none of your business. I guess i am writing it so others will not think badly of me. Yesterday was bad enough but what you said adds salt to the wound. I am very tired of feeling like i have to justify myself.
    Lady Daoine, Mythweaver of the Unseelie Court in the Order of the Long Haired Kights!

Length
    waist/TB/long

Default Re: Panacea Knockoff

Jennifer,

Oh honey, please ignore the stupid and mean-spirited statements being made by various ugly people. I've asked the moderators to step in, but they have not done so thus far. I suggest that you stop reading this thread. You don't need or deserve any of this treatment.

Some will never admit, even to themselves, that they have acted in a nasty and wrong way, so they keep writing, trying to justify themselves to themselves. No one else is believing their sputterings. Ignore them.

There be sharks here.

Deborah

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by jennescence View Post
    I am very tired of feeling like i have to justify myself.
    You do not have to justify yourself one tiny little bit. Your personal circumstances are no one's business but your own, to reveal as much of or as little of as you please, when you please, or not.

There are others here besides me, who do not sit in judgment of you because you asked a simple question, that should in my opinion, not have led to any of this.

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Jennifer,

Oh honey, please ignore the stupid and mean-spirited statements being made by various ugly people. I've asked the moderators to step in, but they have not done so thus far. I suggest that you stop reading this thread. You don't need or deserve any of this treatment.

Some will never admit, even to themselves, that they have acted in a nasty and wrong way, so they keep writing, trying to justify themselves to themselves. No one else is believing their sputterings. Ignore them.

There be sharks here.

Deborah
    From this moment on i'm done with this whole thread!
    Thank you!
    You do not have to justify yourself one tiny little bit. Your personal circumstances are no one's business but your own, to reveal as much of or as little of as you please, when you please, or not.

There are others here besides me, who do not sit in judgment of you because you asked a simple question, that should in my opinion, not have led to any of this.
    Thank You too for all you have done for me In my opinion you are one of the wisest on here