Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *sigh* my hair has thinned... need support.

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default *sigh* my hair has thinned... need support.

So I haven't been around the boards a lot lately but I figured I would share with you all and hopefully get some hugs if not a little advice.

Long story short, I've been having various health problems for almost 4 years now. The latest is possible PCOS and Endometriosis; something hormonally is definately out of whack for sure and I still don't know what it is. As far as I know it isn't thyroid related but something is making my hair thinner. I'm not getting bald spots, just overall thinning. It's so frustrating. And on top of that I'm gettign some sort of flakey psoriasis type thing going on. I'm not washing my hair as often as that seems to irritate the problem. I have noticed using a little oil with tea tree oil added in seems to help to some extent with the flaking and subsequent itching. The itching turns to scabs and lovely bloody red spots.

I just really feel bummed y'all... I'm young with thinning hair full of large flakes and scabs. Doesn't that sound lovely? Tis so frustrating. *weeps*

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: *sigh* my hair has thinned... need support.

HUGS for you! I wish i had tips to help, all i can say is good luck and i hope you get all of it figured out!!! and a kitten for you, to help you along the way.
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

No advice, just sympathy. Hang in there, hopefully the docs will sort everything out and then it is just a matter of patience until everything grows back.

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

As a fellow PCOS er,try a very lo carb,no suger ,hi fibre ,high protein diet.Add omegas to your diet.That will really reduce your insulin which will reduce the testosterone which will help your hair.Afraid I know knothing about psoriasis.

Length
    Shldr/MBL/MBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have PCOS also. Never had hair thinning, but weight and skin and infertility issues. I echo the low carb advice overall since insulin is the master hormone and problems with insulin regulation affect everything. Also, although its not for everyone, there are medications that can help.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hugs for you! How about omega 3 supplements? Should be good for skin and has anti-inflaming (or something, dont know the english word for it) effects. But consult your doctor before you try anything new. Hope you get good help for your health problems!

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

You will get through this! You are young yet, your great hair days are not over.

I don't have any experience with your specific issues but you will sort it out eventually. Get whatever help you need.

Try not to think so much about the hair you have lost but instead focus on the hairs that remain. This helps me when I'm feeling like my hair is thin.

Good luck!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I've struggled w/ PCOS, too -- my hair issues have improved from a very low carb, high fat diet and taking a lot of supplements. Things CAN get better -- try not to panic! (I know....easier said than done!)

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelover View Post
    I've struggled w/ PCOS, too -- my hair issues have improved from a very low carb, high fat diet and taking a lot of supplements. Things CAN get better -- try not to panic! (I know....easier said than done!)
    I don't have PCOS, but my hair also improved greatly when I went low-carb high-fat about 4 years ago. In the last year I also added omega 3 supplements, which also helped.

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Pretty much my diet right now is mostly fruits and vegetables, very little added sugar, some protein, and very little bread. It's been very hard for me to lose weight so I've been avoiding added fats and mostly eating low fat cheeses and such for my dairy. I don't know much about PCOS at the moment. Hoping my new gyno will fill me in on it if he determines that's one of the issues going on with me.

And honestly I don't really know what is making my scalp freak out. It could be psoriasis or something else. I'm just guessing. I'm less depressed feeling today so trying to continue looking on the bright side.

My dad gave me some nasty, stinky, 'smells like an automobile shop dipped in a tar pit' shampoo to try. Of course it has SLS in it which I avoid like the plague usually. While my scalp has stopped the itching for now, it dried my hair out really bad so I had to coat my entire head with conditioner. I figure if this stuff does work... I'll try using it only once a week, maybe twice a week at most. Why on earth does Coal Tar shampoo have to smell so bad? I'd seriously rather rub a wet dog on my head. lol

Right now my regular doctor doesn't want me on Omega-3 suppliments as I get migraines and they can exacerbate the issue.
    Last edited by ArienEllariel; March 24th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.