Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hair and hormonal imbalance

Length
    12/20/30hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Re: hair and hormonal imbalance

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    For things to show in your hair, it is not an immediate experience. If one has a problem, it can actually take a while as in 3 months, to show in the hair. Once resolved, the following week it won't show in the hair. It can take as long as 3 months between cause and effect. It won't improve days or a week later. Takes longer than that.

It'll happen. Be patient.

heidi w.
    That is so true! I had diverticulitis and it took almost 4 months before I saw the effects on my hair and nails. My nails started becoming discolored and peeling and my hair shed about 2 handfuls a day before I was diagnosed. To top it off, getting better required meds (including the ones I'm allergic to) that threw my body into a rollercoaster of side effects. It's been almost 2 years since everything started and about 6 months of being healthy. Give or take a set back or two! Peri-menapause...ugh! and I found out the house I was living in back then had black mold. My doctor said that could have had a hand in all my illnesses.
    Growing... to see how far I can go!
    Lady Arinna of the Sunlit Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I have PCOS. Here are some things that have really helped me to improve my symptoms over the last 3 years and lose over 50 pounds, lower my blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides, restore normal cycles, and reduce some of my hair symptoms:

1)Low carb - high fat - moderate protein diet -- VERY low in grains and sugar. I try to stay under 60 grams of carbs/day, though I occasionally go over. What I eat resembles the maintenance stages of the Atkins diet. If I want to lose weight, I lower my carbs. I eat a LOT of traditionally "bad" diet foods like nuts, eggs, bacon, and high fat meat. I eat a TON of green salads, too.

2)Exercise - I am not a devout exerciser, but I try to do SOMETHING active at least 4 times/week alternating between strength training and cardio. Even if I am too lazy to work up a sweat, it helps.

3)I take a LOT of supplements. Taking as many as I do would probably drive most people nuts, but I absolutely feel 100% better when taking them. Here is the list of what I take currently for PCOS/blood sugar/autoimmune issues:

Synergy basic multivitamin from Vitacost (LOVE this supplement -- it has sooo many good things in it!)
    Vitamin D 5000 I.U.s (I am deficient, as is common in people w/ PCOS)
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    N Acetyl Cysteine
    D Chiro Inositol (just started this one recently -- giving it a trial!)
    Inositol and Choline
    Quercetin
    Calcium -- magnesium
    Iron (I get anemic)
    St. John's Wart (depression symptoms)
    Vitex
    Fish Oil
    Cinnamon
    Zyflamend (anti-inflammatory supplement)

4)I try to reduce stress in my life, get enough sleep, and pay attention to my spiritual life through reading, prayer, and meditation. I believe that stress definitely aggravates PCOS.

5)I use natural progesterone cream twice a day during certain times of my cycle. I think that this helps w/ bloating and mood swings and generally makes me a more pleasant person to be around. Estrogen dominance and low progesterone levels are very common in PCOS.
    Last edited by turtlelover; March 15th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Turtlelover, did your doctor put you on a hormone regimin? Mine wants to for me.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelover View Post
    I have PCOS. Here are some things that have really helped me to improve my symptoms over the last 3 years and lose over 50 pounds, lower my blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides, restore normal cycles, and reduce some of my hair symptoms:

1)Low carb - high fat - moderate protein diet -- VERY low in grains and sugar. I try to stay under 60 grams of carbs/day, though I occasionally go over. What I eat resembles the maintenance stages of the Atkins diet. If I want to lose weight, I lower my carbs. I eat a LOT of traditionally "bad" diet foods like nuts, eggs, bacon, and high fat meat. I eat a TON of green salads, too.

2)Exercise - I am not a devout exerciser, but I try to do SOMETHING active at least 4 times/week alternating between strength training and cardio. Even if I am too lazy to work up a sweat, it helps.

3)I take a LOT of supplements. Taking as many as I do would probably drive most people nuts, but I absolutely feel 100% better when taking them. Here is the list of what I take currently for PCOS/blood sugar/autoimmune issues:

Synergy basic multivitamin from Vitacost (LOVE this supplement -- it has sooo many good things in it!)
    Vitamin D 5000 I.U.s (I am deficient, as is common in people w/ PCOS)
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    N Acetyl Cysteine
    D Chiro Inositol (just started this one recently -- giving it a trial!)
    Inositol and Choline
    Quercetin
    Calcium -- magnesium
    Iron (I get anemic)
    St. John's Wart (depression symptoms)
    Vitex
    Fish Oil
    Cinnamon
    Zyflamend (anti-inflammatory supplement)

4)I try to reduce stress in my life, get enough sleep, and pay attention to my spiritual life through reading, prayer, and meditation. I believe that stress definitely aggravates PCOS.

5)I use natural progesterone cream twice a day during certain times of my cycle. I think that this helps w/ bloating and mood swings and generally makes me a more pleasant person to be around.
    I took D-chiro-inositol in January for about two weeks. It gave me the worst PMS ever (and I'm on the pill so I don't really get much PMS) and turned me into a weepy mess the majority of that time. Oh and it made me so hungry ALL THE TIME. I stopped taking it after that. I was kind of hoping that it might have been a temporary adjustment period, but I couldn't make it through it with my sanity intact. Let me know how it works for you! I'm interested to see if other people have similar reactions and if they can get through it successfully.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I don't take any artificial hormones -- I only use the natural progesterone cream. My Dr. offered to put me on the pill, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about people ending up in WORSE shape long term from it, so I declined.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Regarding d-chiro inositol -- I think I felt more sluggish for a couple of weeks when I started taking it (though that could very well have been seasonal affective disorder kicking in!), but I've been fine since then, and have lost a little more weight in the tummy area.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I don't take any artificial hormones -- I only use the natural progesterone cream. My Dr. offered to put me on the pill, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about people ending up in WORSE shape long term from it, so I declined.
    Yea it's touchy for me because I'm trying to get pregnant. Thanks so much for responding. That was helpful.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Regarding supplements -- I buy the vast majority of them online because I can get them cheaper that I can in stores. Most are commonly available, though the d-chiro inositol is harder to get. I think only like 4 places currently sell it that I am aware of.

Length
    --/36,5/44
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Like turtlelover said, the pill would only disguise the symptoms and not make it any better, it is most likely to worsen the problems. Anyone with PCOS shouldnt be on a pill at all actually I read a few times. I am on vit D too, did tons of research about this because I have a possble light form of PCOS eventhough my bloodwork came out fine. It is just that my ovaries are full of cysts and I'm very irregular, which is quite a problem when you wanna get preggers Vitamin D helped me a lot though, I use this daily, but I have a fairly light amount 1000 IUD. As for the hair, it is, together with the PCOS, important to have a low carb, high protein diet in combinatio with moderate exercise. It seems cardio isnt a good plan either, more about doing heavy stuff with weights that helps. I eat lots of meat, fish a bit less (PCBs) but I try to do so twice a week. Also I am taking a B-vitamin with Biotin etc, which is also important.

I got a bottle of d-chiro in my closet, I never got the courage to use it yet.. and also I don't think d-chiro should be used in combination with the pill because you cannot see what it does for you, with cyclus I mean, I am not sure though it can do harm, but I can't recall I read about ppl using it who were on pill, just for PCOSers who try to get pregnant to regulate their cyclus.
    BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ TB ~ Classic
    25 ~~ 29 ~~ 32 ~~ 36,5 ~~ 38,5 ~~ 42
    Lady Moneta of the Generous Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/F/ii

Regarding supplements -- I buy the vast majority of them online because I can get them cheaper that I can in stores. Most are commonly available, though the d-chiro inositol is harder to get. I think only like 4 places currently sell it that I am aware of.
    I only found one site online that sells D-chiro-inositol and I think they're rather over priced. It's called "chiral balance" or something silly. What are the other sites/places that you know of that sell it? I'd be interested in price comparisons for the future if/when I decide to get off the pill.