Thread: So how long am I supposed to leave coconut oil in?

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default So how long am I supposed to leave coconut oil in?

I keep hearing conflicting info on this. If I'm using coconut oil as a treatment before shampooing, how long am I supposed to leave it in? I assume the longer the better but is an hour enough?
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: So how long am I supposed to leave coconut oil in?

Sometimes I only leave mine in for an hour, but I go for overnight as often as I can. (sometimes I forget stuff!)

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

One hour to overnight. I have left mine in for a couple of days though and it seems the longer you leave it in the easier it is to wash out since it either soaks in or degrades (i think).
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My experience is the opposite, ratgirldjh. Once I got busy and left my hair heavily oiled for a couple of days in 90+ degree heat. It was so hard to get it out after that! Maybe it was the heat; I don't know.

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I apply coconut oil every night before I go to bed, and I wash every 3 days. I don not oil my hair if it's still wet though.
    If my hair ends up a little greasy, I usually just wear it up, because it cooperates better than for up dos too!
    APL~BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Length
    10/12,6/24
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I leave it for 2 hours minimum, overnight maximum. But I suppose that the best way is to check which option your hair likes best. Sometimes people report that leaving oil for shorter time makes the hair overburdened (leaving it overnight helps hair to absorb more). Sometimes my friends are saying completely opposite information. For my hair 4 hours is optimal.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I don't use coconut oil, but I do use other oils. I use about a tablespoon each day, sometimes more, and i wash my hair about once a week- so I leave it in all week!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I mix it with enriched olive oil, and generally a few hours before bed I oil and brush my hair, then lazy wrap w/stick for a while.. then, either spin pin bun or braid it to sleep.. last night, however, I didn't get to sleep until 1 am, and didn't oil until just before that.. so I just heavily oiled it, w/o brushing, and left it loose to sleep. My hair actually seemed to like that better.. it absorbed most of it. I don't notice any difficulties washing it out, either way.. After I finish these oils, I may go back to just coconut oil.. IDK yet.

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.

Length
    22/33/36
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Sometimes I put coconut oil in as I'm stepping into the shower... same results as if I left it in for an hour/overnight/24 hours. I also put a little in when I get out of the shower.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    apl-bsl-waist-hip

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thanks for all the replies, friends!
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat