Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Hair Toy?

Length
    18/18/30
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Default First Hair Toy?

What was your first, er, upscale hair stick, comb, fork etc? How did you pick? I love looking at hair forks, especially wooden ones, but I have no idea what kind to buy for my type of hair. How did you choose?

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: First Hair Toy?

It was a Ficcare and I bought it because I wanted something practical. I've got a lot of hair toys now but I still use my Ficcare everyday (weather it's for wearing my hair up all day or just putting it up while I wash my face). It's so easy to use, gentle on my hair, and holds a bun all day. You can't beat it!
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Mine was a twisted dymondwood hair stickI found on the swap board.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

For me, it was a fairly easy if several step process. First, I picked a budget for the hair toy (or in my case, several), and had spent months looking on etsy.com for ideas, keeping track of what sort of toys caught my eye and which colors looked like they would work well with my wardrobe. I tend to be pretty consistent about what I like, so from there it was narrowing it down to sellers with good feedback and knowing what hairstyles I can do at my length, which was also a determining factor, no use in getting a toy I wouldn't be able to use right away. Then there are other factors, like if you put your hair up wet or dry, and preferences on wood vs. metal vs. acrylic vs. glass vs. bone, etc.

That's pretty much how it went for me. Once I fell in love with some toys that fit my needs and wants, they were mine. There are two other toys out there that I'm itching to own but have to remind myself that I am fairly practical and don't want a toy that I can't use yet.

As for as forks go, have you used them before? If not, I think a 2 or 3 prong would be easiest to start off with, and some come curved to fit more snuggly to your head while others are straight. I have a 3 prong italian olive wood fork, and I LOVE it! The prongs are about 4 inches functional length, it is sturdy and the prongs are decently spaced, but it is certainly more difficult to get it into my hair than my 2 prong metal forks, and both of those are a little harder to manage than a stick. With your hair texture, you would probably be able to get away with almost any wood fork since your hair will have more hold to it. The only thing I wish my fork had was some curve because my hair is stick straight, but I love it nonetheless.

Wow that was long, sorry! So which forks are you looking at, and do you know what functional length you need?
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

My first hair toy was from the swap board- a pair of 8-9in sticks.

The first thing I bought myself as a hair toy were two flexi-8s.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Lovely, lovely, pretty, dark wooden two-prong fork from the swap board. It was my commitment present to myself (as in, I can't go buying this thing and then giving up on the idea of growing my hair long enough to wear it).

Length
    3 "/30.5"/30"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

This was my first quality hair toy. I really didn't know anything about what kinds of toys I would prefer, and frankly I don't use that one all that often... But it's so beautiful!

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WaterMusic View Post
    This was my first quality hair toy. I really didn't know anything about what kinds of toys I would prefer, and frankly I don't use that one all that often... But it's so beautiful!
    Wow, what a way to start!

This was my first hair toy. I wanted to try a wooden hair fork but didn't want to spend a lot until I practiced and made sure I could use one. I highly recommend South4h because this one was only something like $20-22 and I believe shipping was free. It worked out great too. I was totally hooked after that.

For beginner forks you might also want to consider:

Pacific Mercantile

Ideasinwood

JeterForks

OruAka

Good luck!
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0''/neck/bun
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My first hair toy was a beak clip, a beautiful with both blue and black colors. I picked it because I couldn't stand having my hair on a ponytail anymore and it was just something pretty. It has quite sharp edges so I haven't really used it in my hair. My golden beak clips don't have those teeth so I can use them .
    Lady Fainauriel, Sourceress of Ice, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Cold and rainy Sotra in Norway the land of trolls.
    Length
    Chin/Thigh/Calf
    Type
    1a/M/C/iii

My first hairsticks for when my hair started getting long this time was a pair of simple plastic sticks but my first upscale one was this one, here sown in my very first braided Chinese bun.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I picked this because I am Pagan and I just love the Triquetra and I came across it on ebay and I just could not pass it up.