Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting way to apply henna

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Interesting way to apply henna

That's interesting for sure, but I'm curious how long it took you to apply it this way? It seems time consuming and involved.

I just make my henna a little on the runnier side and then I just smoosh it, for lack of a better word, all over my head, massaging into the scalp/roots. Then I work my way down the length. The whole thing takes 15 minutes, tops.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

It would work well for doing the full length, but I agree that just for roots - not so well. I'd be willing to try it once, but I'm wish Scarlet_Heart, I just smoosh and it doesn't really make that much of a mess.
    "Snuggling is sex without the fluid exchange."

Length
    2"/45"/55"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLover View Post
    I'm so happy it's working for everyone

DragonFlyPie, I still make a mess too but I think that's because I don't both to be neat The way I henna is: I put a mirror facing my bathtub and then sit in the bathtub (naked of course!) and henna my hair. That way when I'm done I just rinse off and put on a robe. Also, I wanted to ask you how you got your hair so red, is that just from henna? Or also a vegetable dye? I really like it!
    I just stand in front of my bathroom mirror & hope for the best Then just wash off the spots with a wet cloth (mostly it's from my dangly hair slapping me as i am trying to twist it up & out of the way.)

I used Manic Panic in Red Passion to get that super intense red. Hot Hot Pink works well too, but it comes out more pink-fuchsia than ruby red. I TRY to leave my manic panic on clean hair for 8-10 hours for the deepest, longest lasting color (I think 4hrs would be the minimum for best results.) And i rarely get much fading that way. It's always very dark for the first week or two. I CO-wash, which helps maintain the bright red. I might shampoo once every 1-2 weeks. The shampoo will pull out the manic panic color, so sometimes I do shampoo a few times (several days apart at least) to help lighten the really dark color on the hair. Then when it's nice & bright & glowing red, I try to stick with just CO-washing as much as possible. I can generally go 6-8 weeks without needing to re-dye, and I usually only do that because my roots are showing (lots of greys!) It seems to dye my greys well, too, but the red tends to fade a bit faster on them.

Now I'm using henna, and occasionally using manic panic if i need a more intense ruby red color.

I don't have any issue with color bleeding all over stuff using manic panic, but i think i'm one of few in that category. I used something called Special Effects once & it rubbed off on all my shirts, pillow cases, etc for the entire time it was on my head. Horrible stuff!

Length
    2"/45"/55"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet_Heart View Post
    That's interesting for sure, but I'm curious how long it took you to apply it this way? It seems time consuming and involved.

I just make my henna a little on the runnier side and then I just smoosh it, for lack of a better word, all over my head, massaging into the scalp/roots. Then I work my way down the length. The whole thing takes 15 minutes, tops.
    I wish I had timed this! LOL Maybe I'll guess & say 30 minutes? It really did go a lot faster for me than the usual method I used prior (doing roots first, & working my way to the ends in no particularly organized manner.)

I am finding that I prefer to use a much thicker henna paste. When i used the thinner ones in the past, like a henna gloss i guess, no matter how tight I tried to wrap my head with cling-wrap, etc, I would end up with henna running down my temples & neck within 2 hours. Was impossible to sleep with it like that, because it was so messy. I'd try shoving extra padding around the hairline to stop the slop ( LOL) but that never worked too well.

So using a very thick henna mix that will not run was super tricky. Being a newbie, i just tried applying it like i would any other dye - and ended up with a horrible tangled mess that was nearly impossible to work with & extremely difficult to evenly distribute the henna. Tried doing small sections, but i could never get them all clipped up out of the way, and that just made things more confusing. Now the light bulb has gone off & I can do my hair fast & easily. Yay

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFlyPie View Post
    I wish I had timed this! LOL Maybe I'll guess & say 30 minutes? It really did go a lot faster for me than the usual method I used prior (doing roots first, & working my way to the ends in no particularly organized manner.)

I am finding that I prefer to use a much thicker henna paste. When i used the thinner ones in the past, like a henna gloss i guess, no matter how tight I tried to wrap my head with cling-wrap, etc, I would end up with henna running down my temples & neck within 2 hours. Was impossible to sleep with it like that, because it was so messy. I'd try shoving extra padding around the hairline to stop the slop ( LOL) but that never worked too well.

So using a very thick henna mix that will not run was super tricky. Being a newbie, i just tried applying it like i would any other dye - and ended up with a horrible tangled mess that was nearly impossible to work with & extremely difficult to evenly distribute the henna. Tried doing small sections, but i could never get them all clipped up out of the way, and that just made things more confusing. Now the light bulb has gone off & I can do my hair fast & easily. Yay
    I recently found that if I don't pile my hair on top of my head and if I use two plastic caps, I don't get the leaking and running. I think thick henna paste is harsher on my hair because it's courser. When I work in a decent amount of tea, aloe vera juice, and coconut oil, it works in really easily and washes out easily, thereby being gentler on my hair.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    4/16/39
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I did this method for my most recent henna gloss, and it was way easier to apply evenly, with the added bonus that the weight was balanced better on my head. Hooray!

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Interesting! I did notice that the henna was ridiculously heavy when I piled it on top of my head, it really did bother my neck.

...did anyone else notice that she said Alma instead of Amla?
    Lady Eruaistaniel, Wanderer of Ricketts Glen, in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    ~ Mark Twain

Length
    Pixie/35/term
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

I just used this method and I am so happy that I saw the video before the application. Without this I wouldn't have been able to apply henna to all my hair evenly as I have just lots of hair on my head, and if I wanted to just apply the mud on the whole! some parts would remain untouched.
    Lady Persiana of the Green Hope Lands in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I used this method for my recent henna-ing, and it worked great! It was my first application though, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I plan to do my root applicaltions in a similar way-but starting from my nape and work up and forwards, then braid all the loose, clean ends togther at high pony level, and poke them out through the plastic wrap to keep the henna off them

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!